Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
First of all, thanks Steve for the careful research done on French hatter JB and its sharing with the readers of FL.
The story is interesting and shows how a thriving industry is slowly disappearing having neglected and left numerous testimonies of its existence.
For some places the closure of the hat factories was an economic ruin.
I too found some news about the French manufacturer of hats JB, but are not remotely comparable to the excellent work that Steve has made available to all us.
Bravo and congratulazioni Steve!

Having had so complete news about JB production get me even more able to appreciate Thibet hats I have available and those built by JB for the annual collections of hats shop Meer in Strasbourg that are seat in my office. :)

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
The liner is stitched in so it appears original. Great condition. Started out its life at 58cm but has devolved into a tight 56cm. Thanks for all the info on the maker, they made a lovely velour.

Super! It's definitely interesting anomaly regarding the J.B. liner but I am not sure that trumps the Fléchet paper label and sweatband (Fléchet was a major producer and known for their Velours). It's possible the liner was replaced in the time period. Just can't say for sure. By the way is the Velour nap counter clockwise or clockwise.

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
It has a clockwise nap versus the counter clockwise i've noted on the Huckel durit. Flechet made a top notch velour, but in terms of finish and malleability to the felt the durit has a noticeable edge.

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Fléchet long hair:

IMGA0789_zpsfve0vnxm.jpg

IMGA0790_zpsq9hvf1d4.jpg

IMGA0791_zpsvrperniv.jpg

IMGA0793_zpsws7zgfej.jpg

IMGA0794_zpsohhgs0p3.jpg

IMGA0792_zpsh0c21h51.jpg

Chris.

It has a clockwise nap versus the counter clockwise i've noted on the Huckel durit. Flechet made a top notch velour, but in terms of finish and malleability to the felt the durit has a noticeable edge.

Thanks for the confirmation. I think it's telling that you see JHS Velours being exported to France. Also some famous French companies from the time period sourcing Austrian Velour felt bodies.

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Thanks Steve and Daniele. You both have an astonishing repertoire of fine continental hats and are an inspiration. I will post a couple of others when I make time to take pics.

Chris

se couvrir

One of the Regulars
Chapelier Adrien, Paris. Size 57 Date stamped 8 Jan 1960 under sweatband. Very soft & pliable beaver felt (Castor Hudson). Very fine stitching to sweatband, all high quality. The brim raw edge is a little uneven in a couple of places, so I suspect it might have been trimmed at some time, but , the brim looks less stingy when worn due to the straightish crown and I am very happy with it.

IMGA0797_zpsfzqzuggm.jpg

IMGA0796_zpsmpp1tcxa.jpg

IMGA0798_zpso6lh28wb.jpg

IMGA0799_zpsv1iklxws.jpg

IMGA0801_zpsigsfqhbv.jpg

IMGA0802_zpspt7d0meg.jpg

IMGA0803_zpskdtqh1gv.jpg

Success this time in posting I hope! Can anyone tell me why, (when I am part way through uploading pics) that the site keeps telling me to log in again when I am already logged in? Is it a time-out thing?

Chris.

Looks good! It might have been a cut down Homburg. Too bad there isn't a company mark on the paper label.

I can't help with the photo download problem because I link my photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk