French Hats and makers.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by BellyTank, Feb 21, 2009.

1. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

2015-11-19 19.33.54.jpg

RJR likes this.
  2. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

2015-11-20 15.29.01.jpg 2015-11-20 15.27.40.jpg As promised

Attached Files:

RJR and mayserwegener like this.
  3. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Any ideas re age guys?

4. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

There is a void when it comes to French makers. I can't recall how long TIRARD lasted. There are other examples in this thread so you might want scan back. The French makers maintained high quality into the 1960s. I tend to think its from that time period. It's a great looking hat!

5. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Yes I had a quick look and think there was a bit a few pages back that said Tirard folded in around 1956? but may have had their name used by another company???

6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Yes that is possible but they are not listed in Kelly's Directory Of Merchants, Manufacturers And Shippers, 1964, French Hat Manufacturers.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...s-and-shippers-1964-french-hat-manufacturers/

Like I said there isn't much information on French makers here. It's possible the hat is from around 1956 but it seems later to me. It would require more research on TIRARD and the trademark.

7. esteban68

esteban68 Call Me a Cab

Thanks for that , I found the information on page 12 On this thread, it appears reminiscent of Fletchet to me.....either way it's a very nicely made hat almost mint with just some drying out of the sweat band still I think a good find £8!

8. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Yes I forgot I made that post. :) Probably needs some more investigation especially regarding the trademark.

esteban68 likes this.
  9. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Motsch Fils from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Bad Homburg , Germany collection. Motsch Fils is a retailer so not sure who made it (Mossant?) but it's of very high quality. My guess is 1940s maybe older / newer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Mossant Frères Vallon Bourg-de-Péage < Drôme > France "Trois Grands Prix", probably early 1900s, from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Bad Homburg, Germany hat collection.

(Click On Photo to Expand)

[​IMG]

11. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Fléchet Vous Présente Quelques Modèles De Sa Collection De Printemps 1953, Fléchet Presents To You Some Models From Their Spring Collection 1953, from the Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Bad Homburg, Germany hat collection. . There are some interesting fabric hats (very rare finds).

(Click on Photos to Expand)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2525. Modern Line 1953 Flechet real young and sporty.

[​IMG]

2572. Velours, for hunting, mountains, sports, saddle stitching and over welt edge.

[​IMG]

80 T. Nylon and felt hat, waterproof, fully rib. 82 T. Popline (type of fabric) Felt, ? .

[​IMG]

2535. Escapade multicolored half satin, elegant shape to wear notes all around, 3 stitched edge. Can be realized in all qualities.
    2527. Carefree, ?

[​IMG]

2534. Antelope finish, slight edge narrow stripe, a distinguished shape and youthful.

[​IMG]

2560 ? 81 T Nylon Felt, ?

[​IMG]

2538. Franc cut, large enough volume, wide brim, topped with pleated ribbon.

2546. Mousseline* without primer, very flexible, particularly comfortable, discrete ventilation, ?, Hat of Spring, of Sport, future formula of headgear for men.
    *a fine sheer fabric (as of rayon) that resembles muslin

[​IMG]

Twice a Year, for the Spring and Autumn, Fléchet presents new models that tomorrow's fashion. If Fléchet hats for ladies and gentlemen are the most perfect elegance, if they are "young they also offer every guarantee of comfort, flexibility and use. Their felt is of incomparable quality and flawless finish. Fléchct justified its motto :

Fléchet the Perfect Hat

Redfokker, TheDane and Bob Roberts like this.
  12. stetsonofagun

stetsonofagun One of the Regulars

This is all the French I have. Still trying to dig up some more info on it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- Andrew

13. TheDane

TheDane Call Me a Cab

Well Steve, I remember buying snowsuits for my youngest in a fabric called "beaver nylon" ... but then again ... :D

14. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Could be! Unfortunately I couldn't make out the words. It would be nice to see some of these materialize. :)

15. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Chapellerie Bruyas probably early 1900s. Really Fantastic!

[​IMG]

Chapellerie Cyrille probably early 1900s.

[​IMG]

Mossant late 1930s.

[​IMG]

These large scale posters belong to the Bad Homburg Gotisches Haus (Gothic House) Hat Museum collection. Last Wednesday (09/21/16) I made a return visit to the museum. Click on photos to expand.

16. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Hey all!
    I saw this vintage Fléchet homburg on eBay, and it just spoke to me. It said Buy Me Now cheap before soneone bids on me! But, true to form, I wembled too long, soneone bid, and I had to bid and wait till the bitter end.

It arrived yesterday. It has a couple of light spots on it, but otherwise the felt is in nice shape. Unreeded sweat, taped seam. Tip patch rather than a liner. Just over 5 1/2" crown, 2 3/8" brim with the curl. 125 g, so a medium weight.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The tip patch and tag:

[​IMG][​IMG]

And the stamps:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The nog shots:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Fit was just a hair tight, not much adjustment needed. Seller claimed it is 1940's or earlier. I think so too, but as always I look forward to input from the folks more expert tham myself.
    My first French hat, most likely not my last!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  17. Redfokker

Redfokker

I was watching that one myself. Glad it went to a great lounger, it will have a good afterlife!

FedOregon likes this.
  18. 1mach1

1mach1

That's real pretty Moe! Great color. Looks good on you, too.

FedOregon likes this.
  19. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto My Mail is Forwarded Here

A very interesting homburg Flechet!
    It came directly from the 40' to 50'
    Moe it is the first of more? ;)

Redfokker likes this.
  20. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

Thanks Red, mach and Daniele!
    There are a few other French brands I would like to experience. This is a good start to a new nation of vintage hats!