Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Flechet de Luxe gris

Flechet de Luxe gris made for A Meer Chapellerie - Strasbourg
It seems a little younger than me, on the inner sweatband there is stampe 53830, that could be the date of the hat.
eu2atu.jpg

It is made in plain fur felt. Grey with matching ribbon and bounded brim in a more purplish color
10ggtcg.jpg

Ribbon 4,5 cm does not has a bow, but is plaited
ek3wvp.jpg

Brims are 5 cm. and crown, low point, 11,5 cm
2z9i3vk.jpg

It is lined and very well finished
2m43z88.jpg

160y3wp.jpg

2sbpnxx.jpg

The crown could be crease as you want, it is a buttery felt and the brims snap up or down.
a25fo2.jpg

A real gem in my collection!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Tirard Ragonda noir

A black formal hat this Tirard Ragonda
314cwo5.jpg

It arrived from the sixties-seventies.
It was made in a medium stiff black fur felt.
12689km.jpg

The maker was Tirard a famous French (Nogent-le-Rotrou) hatters producer that stopped its production le 31 March 1956
311xtlg.jpg

Even if as some others old French the trade mark was used lately.
Proportions are: bound brims 5,5 cm. and lowered crown 12 cm. (open is 14 cm.)
15qtdol.jpg

Well finished ia medium level hat.
wvwexc.jpg

2a4wsoj.jpg

2ijn2up.jpg

Waterproof and made for Chapellerie Meer
r9ph06.jpg

9iajr4.jpg

An elegant hat for suit and good shoes
novyv9.jpg

Last edited:

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Carlton gris clair

A very classic Homburg from France.
It is a Carlton made probably in the sixties.
2s612c7.jpg

The mesium gray felt is really pliable and it is impossible to put it on the stand, it will lose quickly the crease.
The crown is full and high (11 cm. lowest point, 13 cm highest point) brims are 6 cm. rolled pencil
2mme2c9.jpg

It is finished with a black ribbon with bow and the brims are bound with a matching light grey ribbon.
The interior has an excellent finish with a super sweatband in fine leather
2cdxy6h.jpg

eam4ia.jpg

Expressly made for A. Meer - Strasbourg
jh632e.jpg

dfft4i.jpg

2vjpi6c.jpg

One of the gems in my homburg collection
30diekg.jpg

DJH

I'll Lock Up
The surprise gets better, Steve. What we thought was just a small poster, turned out to be the full 3 hat version. My wife went to see the store guy and $20 later we have a large framed print to hang on our wall.

smugshot_4500178-L.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This Flechet is superb!
I think that despite the stamp on the sweatband the hat is made by JB .
This brand is also found on some French hats in my collection.
It seems that in France, at different times, some manufacturers of hats have worked for others, leaving their mark along with that company's originator and owner of the "principal" mark.
Usually the products of JB were fantastic.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Steve that's true, but I see the linen marked JB.
This was a very high grade manufacturer for others parts and for sure they made superb hats.
Many of my best French hats were made by JB and marketed with others name.
Mine is only a guess.......

I found that J.B. was Jean Bourrel Manufacture De Chapeaux, Quillan, France. This area (including Espéraza) was a hat making center of France. The company went out of business in 1949.

2uep6pj.jpg

http://www.belcaire-pyrenees.com/article-decouvrez-quillan-capitale-de-la-haute-vallee-de-l-aude-2eme-partie-57343454.html

"A man marked the industrial history of the Upper Valley region, Jean Bourrel:

Although he spent most of his life in the town of Quillan, Jean Bourrel only remains pure Espérazanais since Espéraza born in November 11, 1886, son of the industrialist Jean Baptiste and Bourrel Mathilde Barbaste his wife.
After a good education, he will naturally learning the family business in Espéraza (current Monblason facilities) where brothers Bourrel factory occupies an important place among the manufactures of hats that are so renowned high valley Aude. After his marriage in Gincla in 1912 and the turmoil of the Great War, Jean Bourrel is called by the director owner Huillet factory and Lasserre in Quillan (created in 1908) in order to boost production milliner this recently ravaged facility by a devastating flood of the Aude. Dynamic man and remarkably organized, rigorous manager with a physical giant, Jean Bourrel who became owner of the factory to the death of Mr. Lasserre in 1922, will boost an innovative impetus to its company, with the famous hat marks the "Tibet", quickly conquered the national and international market.

Quillan-l-usine-Jean-Bourrel-en-1900.jpg

The factory of John Bourrel hats in 1900

chapeau-Thibet.jpg

The famous hat "Thibet" of the 30s

In a few years, Jean Bourrel will organize and expand its production buildings it connects with an iron bridge in the center of Quillan, the famous "Bridge Suzanne", bearing the name of his daughter, opened in 1928, during the transition from President Gaston Doumergue which also inaugurated that day the first large dam on the river Aude, in Puyvalador.

Quillan-le-pont-suzanne-01.jpg

Quillan deck "Suzanne" spanning the Aude, built by Jean Bourrel in 1928 to facilitate access to its plants"

A major figure in the upper valley of the Aude Jean Bourrel (Some great photos too! You can run through Google Translator.)

http://www.patrimoine-quillan.com/bourrel.htm

The hat factory Jean Bourrel (ex Huillet and Lasserre)

usinebourrel.jpg

Daniele's J.B. "Thibet"

2941e06.jpg

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?36690-French-Hats-and-makers&p=1902377&viewfull=1#post1902377

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21