Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
That's Very nice Stefan! Now in regards to Verona, did you locate the hide with the "impossible" gems? If so I might have to plan the trip soon... I am willing to share the spoils if you know a safe way out
There is an alarm system and then it is difficult to find the right boxes where the "belli e impossibili" are ;-)
Stefan had no time to investigate :)

Scanning an auction site for a fix ;) my eye was drawn to this one. because of the brand name.
Cassé fedora in a warm grey. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Likely had a crown patch one, because there seem to be traces of it on the inside. Very decent hat but not a high and felt. Then again: Cassé wasn't known for their felts, but for their top hats, of which Steve @Steve1857 has one. Still, at the price I couldn't leave it.

casse_01.jpg
casse_02.jpg
casse_03.jpg
casse_04.jpg
casse_06.jpg
casse_07.jpg
casse_08.jpg
casse_09.jpg
casse_10.jpg
casse_11.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Scanning an auction site for a fix ;) my eye was drawn to this one. because of the brand name.
Cassé fedora in a warm grey. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Likely had a crown patch one, because there seem to be traces of it on the inside. Very decent hat but not a high and felt. Then again: Cassé wasn't known for their felts, but for their top hats, of which Steve @Steve1857 has one. Still, at the price I couldn't leave it.

View attachment 482650 View attachment 482651 View attachment 482652 View attachment 482653 View attachment 482654 View attachment 482655 View attachment 482656 View attachment 482657 View attachment 482658 View attachment 482659
Another nice find, Stefan.

I must post my Cassé Top Hat here sometime soon.

Almost forgot one (well, I did forget yesterday).
Mossant fedora for Sools in a colour called Tourbe (peat). Size 59 (6 punti) with the raw edge brim at 6cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Unlined with just the Sools crown patch. Weighs 114 grams. As always these Sools hats are excellent quality. I have a Mossant tourbe in my size as well; same model but with a stitched edge.

mossant tourbe59_01.jpg
mossant tourbe59_02.jpg
mossant tourbe59_03.jpg
mossant tourbe59_04.jpg
mossant tourbe59_06.jpg
mossant tourbe59_07.jpg
mossant tourbe59_08.jpg
mossant tourbe59_09.jpg
mossant tourbe59_10.jpg
mossant tourbe59_12.jpg

Tirard Supra fedora in black. Size 57 I think because there are no labels inside the hat and it came without a ribbon. This ribbon was supplied by a hat that had no redeeming qualities other than supplying this ribbon, which gives the hat a more modern look than its actual age. Raw edge brim at 7cm and crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Takes on every shape you want to put in or even don't want to put in. Weighs 97 grams and the felt has a lovely hand to it. I think it's from the forties because of the sweatband, shape and proportions, but it could even be a bit earlier.

tirard supra_01.jpg

tirard supra_02.jpg

tirard supra_03.jpg

tirard supra_04.jpg

tirard supra_05.jpg

tirard supra_06.jpg

tirard supra_07.jpg

tirard supra_08.jpg

tirard supra_09.jpg

tirard supra_10.jpg

Is it a win is it a lose? A bit of both really. This was sold to me as a size 60. It isn't. It's one of these "measure around the outside" sizes. :rolleyes:
But it does in fact fit me very well because it turned out to be a size 57. The sweatband leather has shrunk a bit on it, so it no longer fits a size 57, but it'll do for my size 56 very nicely, thank you!

Fléchet Select Velour in a size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11,5 at the center dent. Weighs 155 grams. While not as refined as some of the best Hückel hats it is still a very well made velour that's easy to shape and with a great hand. The liner is a mess, the ribbon has some wear and the sweatband will likely drink a gallon of mink oil in the end, but I like it. A very nice late twenties to mid thirties Fléchet. Got the velour to behave after some thorough brushing with a suede brush (that'll teach it).

flechet select velour_01.jpg

flechet select velour_02.jpg

flechet select velour_03.jpg

flechet select velour_04.jpg

flechet select velour_06.jpg

flechet select velour_07.jpg

flechet select velour_08.jpg

flechet select velour_09.jpg

flechet select velour_10.jpg

flechet select velour_11.jpg

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
Love it with all its scars!
Is it a win is it a lose? A bit of both really. This was sold to me as a size 60. It isn't. It's one of these "measure around the outside" sizes. :rolleyes:
But it does in fact fit me very well because it turned out to be a size 57. The sweatband leather has shrunk a bit on it, so it no longer fits a size 57, but it'll do for my size 56 very nicely, thank you!

Fléchet Select Velour in a size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 11,5 at the center dent. Weighs 155 grams. While not as refined as some of the best Hückel hats it is still a very well made velour that's easy to shape and with a great hand. The liner is a mess, the ribbon has some wear and the sweatband will likely drink a gallon of mink oil in the end, but I like it. A very nice late twenties to mid thirties Fléchet. Got the velour to behave after some thorough brushing with a suede brush (that'll teach it).

flechet select velour_01.jpg

flechet select velour_02.jpg

flechet select velour_03.jpg

flechet select velour_04.jpg

flechet select velour_06.jpg

flechet select velour_07.jpg

flechet select velour_08.jpg

flechet select velour_09.jpg

flechet select velour_10.jpg

flechet select velour_11.jpg

Sools Fifth Avenue in black. No label under the sweatband, so uncleat who the maker was. Size tag suggests Fléchet, but it was used by other makers as well. The kind of sturdy and dense felt which has me thinking it might be nutria or beaver. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,7cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Lovely hand to the felt.

sools fifth avenue_01.jpg

sools fifth avenue_02.jpg

sools fifth avenue_03.jpg

sools fifth avenue_04.jpg

sools fifth avenue_05.jpg

sools fifth avenue_06.jpg

sools fifth avenue_07.jpg

sools fifth avenue_08.jpg

sools fifth avenue_09.jpg

sools fifth avenue_10.jpg

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
This seems like a very nice hat - as you would expect with the big name.
Sools Fifth Avenue in black. No label under the sweatband, so uncleat who the maker was. Size tag suggests Fléchet, but it was used by other makers as well. The kind of sturdy and dense felt which has me thinking it might be nutria or beaver. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 6,7cm and the crown at 10cm at the center dent. Lovely hand to the felt.

sools fifth avenue_01.jpg

sools fifth avenue_02.jpg

sools fifth avenue_03.jpg

sools fifth avenue_04.jpg

sools fifth avenue_05.jpg

sools fifth avenue_06.jpg

sools fifth avenue_07.jpg

sools fifth avenue_08.jpg

sools fifth avenue_09.jpg

sools fifth avenue_10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads