Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French workwear ebay madness

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Might have been better to pick out the good condition parts and sell them separately from the majority of rags... and I'd think that the example photos show some of the better stuff.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The deadstock cream jacket is delightful. But they still make jackets that are virtually the same (or did a few years back) that could be found on every market in every provincial French town. I certainly wouldn't part with good money for something old, simply because it is old, if i could get the same but brand new for 10 euros (but I'm broke and am not a collector - so what does my opinion matter?).

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
On that reckoning (that dressing in a deadman's rags is preferable to dressing in a deadman's well preserved clothes) there probably is room for someone to make a decent profit. I just don't get the whole 'hobo' thing.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
They shall wear the rags. If that means that the well preserved stuff is available for us, I'm all for it.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The trend for patchwork hobo chic is not that new though. In japanese workwear mags from a few years back you already find stuff like this. Even "artisans" who take perfectly good jackets and waistcoats patch the **** out of them. [huh]

I don't have enough knowledge to date the items. Like two Types already mentioned the "bleu" jackets didn't change that much. I kinda prefer the colors other than blue anyway. Dark or light brown, black, grey...

I would be interested in a pair of the grey cinchback cotton pants. Stripes or salt & pepper. I don't think they come in my size often. I really need to lose some weight. *sigh*

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Nothing against a bedraggled look if one keeps it honest.
Period "bread and butter" clothes with mends and alterations and some visible wear and fading surely is to me as wearable and charming as an exquisitely bespoke tailored "fancy" suit. I rather like the way the "lower classes" back then wore their (often pre-owned or overused) suits and clothes... but they tried to make the best out of what their modest means could afford.

It's different from urban "hobos" of relative affluence, trying to intentionally ruin good clothes or walking around like dug-up corpses.
Zombie-chic. :D

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I'm happy with old patched clothes, falling to pieces as I wear them. But I want the holes to be ones that I have made by working in them (on the very few rare occasions I do any manual labour).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner