Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Friends of the Poloshirt"

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
The greatest man to ever sport a polo shirt! Tazio Giorgio Nuvolari .
1931-T_Nuvolari-si-disseta-dopo-la-vittoria_zpss5mtssxa.jpg

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
The greatest man to ever sport a polo shirt! Tazio Giorgio Nuvolari .
1931-T_Nuvolari-si-disseta-dopo-la-vittoria_zpss5mtssxa.jpg

Nuvolari was always a favourite of mine and his drive in the German GP of 1935 was the stuff of legend. But Fangio was IMO the greatest. When you think that he came into GP racing at the age of forty when most were retiring and won five World Championships... He was racing self prepared Fords in long distance races in South American in the thirties but if he had been driving for Mercedes in GPs then what would he have achieved?

Nice polo shirt too even if he didn’t quite have Tazio’s slim physique.

fangio18.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I have maybe a dozen - all mainstream, modern manufacture but the cut hasn't changed significantly since the fifties. I wear them a lot in Summer, in place of a t-shirt.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Nuvolari was always a favourite of mine and his drive in the German GP of 1935 was the stuff of legend. But Fangio was IMO the greatest. When you think that he came into GP racing at the age of forty when most were retiring and won five World Championships... He was racing self prepared Fords in long distance races in South American in the thirties but if he had been driving for Mercedes in GPs then what would he have achieved?

Nice polo shirt too even if he didn’t quite have Tazio’s slim physique.

View attachment 38306
Fangio was good, but could he race without a steering wheel? Nuvolari did for over a lap at Cisitalia! In 1948, racing at the Mille Miglia, his Ferrari was ahead by a half an hour, first his car bonnet flew off and next the seat broke, he threw it away, using a bag of oranges and lemons as a cushion. A spring shackle broke and the car became almost a bare chassis. Almost within sight of the finish the brakes failed and Nuvolari was forced to abandon it after a series of skids. This while driving with one hand, the other clutching a handkerchief to mop up the blood he was coughing up!
tazio3media_zpsdj3xdqft.jpg

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Nuvolari was a racer pure and simple. Enzo Ferrari always said that he was his favourite driver, and Ferrari ran the Maserati team in the thirties before he bought it out after the war and used it as the basis of his own team. I read in a biography of his once that when he was a motorcycle racer - in which he was very successful before he switched to cars - he’d had a bad off and broken some bones in his legs in practise and it was thought he couldn’t race the next day. But he had himself plastered up in a racing crouch and lifted onto his bike and went on to win the race.

Fangio was the all round perfect driver though, and a thinker as well as a racer. He once said that when there was a bad accident- and in his day a couple of drivers died every F1 season - he always went extra fast for the next few laps because he knew that everyone else would be unconsciously easing off that little bit. He said that doing that won him a couple of races that he might not otherwise have won.

Last edited:
I got one Poloshirt from Lacoste, from their "Sport"-line. Got it from sale, on tolerable prices of 50 EUR.

I can say, in compare to my other Polos from good massmarket-A-quality, the one from Lacoste is really A+ quality. So, on sale, it's attractive, to me. The Piqué-cotton is heavier made and rougher. I think, that's the classic Piqué, because my other Polos are made of explicit "soft-Piqué".

I'm looking forward, to the first half of summer. :D

If there will come out nice Poloshirts this year, I would buy some new, but at the moment, for me, there are no really interesting ones coming out.

Maybe, I will replace my Jersey-ones with correct Piqué-ones. ;)

Today, I bought two longsleeve-poloshirts. I wanted to test them last year, but suspended it. But now, I got one in conifer-wood green colour (100% cotton) and one in graying colour (60% cotton/40% polyester). Both classic Piqué-weave.

The next days, I will especially test, how much breathing and pleasant these Piqué-ones are in the heat, with their long sleeves, in compare to the short-sleeve ones.

The reason is, that I don't like classic men's shirts that much, underways. And I don't like smearing sunblocker on my arms. ;)

Now, we will see. :)

Yesterday, I took a walkaround, ca. 15 kilometers, 50% sun, 50% shadow and the longsleeved poloshirt was not really sweaty. It was very ok. :)

There are so many nice classic summer-shirts around, but I'm still a poloshirt-fan.

So, please, can anyone mention a real pro of summer-shirts over poloshirts?? Please, convince me to get summer-shirts, too! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass