Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frightening Trend - Article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Samsa

Air Boss said:
A continuing battle in our house. Heck, even plain old Levi's give me sticker shock. It's off to K-Mart for Lee and Wranglers.

I can still remember my grandfather being mightily amused that clothes (like jeans) - that were primarliy used for manual labor in that past - have become expensive fashion staples.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
My dad would never wear jeans. But jeans are getting a bad rap on this thread. I wear them almost everyday. The jeans I wear are usually Levis Vintage Clothing jeans. I am wearing a pair of 1886 501s (the first 501s) right now.
IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

1886 501

airfrogusmc

Suspended
And heres a pair of 1933 501s I recently bought. They were made in the 1990s at the Levis Valencis St factory indicated by the #555 on the button backs and the inside label.
IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0402.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

Cone mills redline denim.
IMG_0404.jpg

Single needle arcuate.

Steve

Practically Family
I was hit with some of this type of thing lately with my half-sister's boyfriend, whom we suspect will be elevated to "fiance" status in the near future. He's a nice guy: good job, good head, the whole bit; but he's sorely uneducated when it comes to decision making. He's quite a bit older than I am, but when it came to tying down a tarp over a trailer full of furniture, he was looking to me for help for the whole affair, which was something I didn't expect nor am used to. As blonde as my half-sister can be, I really hope they don't have kids too soon. :eusa_doh:

Rebelling and not growing up. I think of how many people do inapropriate things in the worst situations, inappriate times or places simply for the shock value, because they have no values of their own.

JMADSENK

New in Town
I understand that this forum is dedicated to people who love the vintage look, but I'm beginning to wonder if wearing a fedora effects ones head causing them to be judgemental and condescending. It's fine to look like people did in the 30's and 40's, but thinking like them is where I draw the line.

Feraud

Bartender
JMADSENK said:
I understand that this forum is dedicated to people who love the vintage look, but I'm beginning to wonder if wearing a fedora effects ones head causing them to be judgemental and condescending. It's fine to look like people did in the 30's and 40's, but thinking like them is where I draw the line.
Just to clarify.. it is not the fedora itself to cause anyone to judge but an affinity for the lost art of "class". One must expect folks at a Fedora Lounge to love the lifestyle.

Judgement and condescension is a relative point, isn't it?
There is a point to where the desire to be comfortable anywhere and everwhere is a selfish act in my extremely humble opinion. I am not going to wear a top hat and tails in 100 degree weather but am not walking around in sweatpants at work either. I think the workplace, weddings, funerals, social gatherings, etc. are the short list of when a person would want to look their best. Am I crazy in thinking like this?

Just last Friday I saw a woman at my company wearing sweatpant material cutoffs with the words "juicy" on her rear end. Between this and the constant "thuck, thuck" sound from those flip floppy slices of rubber everyone is trying to convince me is sooooo comfortable, I wonder how we get anything done at work. Am I being judgemental or is this person extremely inappropriately dressed for work in a big city corporate environment (N.Y.C.!) and probably anyplace but home doing laundry?

We all tend to kvetch a bit about things that bug us. I hope the Observation Lounge is a place to sometimes blow off some innocent steam.
Not many Loungers have a one track 1930's mindset. I think we tend to take what is great from the Golden Era and leave what is not.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
It bothers me...

<.RANT>
I was shaking my head profusely at the article as I read it too. Having been in my industry for quite some time, professionally speaking it bothers me that the younger folks just don't have a care about things anymore. Now when I say care, I am referring to the manner in which they dress, the respect that they may or may not have for themselves and others. Yes, it does irk me as some of our consultants are like this and I understand that they are young kids but management hasn't said a thing to them. Therefore we are endorsing lacksidasical care at the cost of professionalism and respect. These folks go in front of our customers and there isn't one thing said by management.

And whilst I am at my little tirade, let's get to the way some of my fellow 20 and 30 somethings dress. The guys wear their shirts out, their ties untied and around their necks hanging like a steak hung around their neck as if put there so the dog would play with them. It's atrocious and some of them should be knocked up the head. My young lady and I were out recently at the park and we noticed that there were indeed these three 'gang banger' types that were walking through the park. Now I don't want to bag on them as they might very well be nice boys and such but the line of respectability has completely gone out the window. There jeans were hanging around their posteriors and the pant legs were dragging on the ground. What first came to mind was..."how can their parents let them out of the house that way". Have we all given up as a society that we've just come to just accept things at face value just solely based upon that they are just as they are? Absolute bloody rubbish I tell you, just rubbish.

My young lady and I were recently have lunch at a casual dining restaurant and as it was a nice day, we ate outside. Being that we both dress vintage, or rather I dress with a classic influence (the only thing vintage that fits me are hats and ties...) and this gentleman walked up to us to compliment us on our outfits. It pleased me quite a bit as there are still some people that recognize good and classy fashion when they see it.

<./RANT>

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
< Denis Leary > Pull up your pants! < /Denis Leary >

lol
Funny. I read in yesterday's paper about an incident downtown where a cop started asking a guy some questions because he suspected he was there to deal drugs, and the guy just started running, but his pants were so baggy that they kept falling down and the cop easily caught him. lol

All right, I'm finally getting around to this thread.

So I meet this dame in Williamsburgh (for the unenlightened, BBurgh, Brooklyn, New York is the center of the hipster universe. This is it. Ground zero. You cain't get any hipper. Some have tried. All have failed. We're talkin' the whole enchilada - big ol' shorts, flip-flops, soul patch, messenger bag, wymyn with underarm hair - if you ain't got 'em you ain't gettin' in) and so this dame's in her mid-30s and has a 7 month old baby. Hubby is 39 and a Bburgh hipster and after 14 years of marriage, as soon as she tells him she's pregnant, he tells her that he doesn't want to be a father. So he scrams with a 25 year old, and now the wife's alone raising the kid.

Typical story here. These people are pathetic. As I had written in other threads, I have many friends who moved out to BBurgh LONG before it was hipster central. In fact, they were the guys who pioneered the area. No one was out there before them. So I go over there about twice a week to meet up for drinks and dinner, and I can't tell you how nauseous it is to look at these overgrown teenagers. And, yeah, I do see them pushing their baby strollers around with the junior in a mohawk, and I have to say they DO look fairly happy, but I'm wondering if ANY of them will be able to take responsibility should they have to. If the spouse or child becomes seriously ill, is the other going to stick it out or walk out? I'm thinking the latter. What these people don't know how to do is step up to the plate. Everything's great while they have their overpaid cushy job in marketing, but in hard times they tend to bail. I'm hearing of this quite a bit lately. It's not even about the clothes or the music - it's about mentality. These people aren't trying to be kids, they are kids.

Appreciating the music or fashion of a younger generation is fine - there is no generation gap when it comes to bad taste - but when children are depending on you, you better damn-well grow up. As far as the husband/wife is concerned - who cares? When I walk down the street, I'm always glad to see that these nitwits found each other.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Senator Jack said:
Appreciating the music or fashion of a younger generation is fine - there is no generation gap when it comes to bad taste - but when children are depending on you, you better damn-well grow up. As far as the husband/wife is concerned - who cares? When I walk down the street, I'm always glad to see that these nitwits found each other.

Regards,

Senator Jack

You have it again. :cheers1:
Looking at the word Grups reminded me of an old Star Trek Episode where the children on the planet stayed that way for hundreds of years. Grups got diseased and died. Maybe these people watched that episode too many times. :p
Gee, just what I want to see, a woman or man behind a desk doing my taxes or lawyering my case wearing a t-shirt and flip flops. Now there is a confidence builder. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
It all started in Silicon Valley

When Jobs and Wozniak started coming to work dressed like the gardener in the 1970's is when all this started. "oh look, he's worth a billion and dresses like Oscar Madison, why can't I?" Then the other CEO's all started dressing like slobs. A couple weeks ago, the Los Angeles Times in one of it's fawning articles over recalled Governor Gray Davis noted that now he dresses casual to work at one of the largest law firms in Los Angeles.:eek: They talk about Delaware and North Dakota as "the race to the bottom" in business regulations; well with Silicon Valley it's the race to the bottom of self respect. I think the only guy down there who dresses worth a darn is Larry Ellison of Oracle.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
I think we tend to take what is great from the Golden Era and leave what is not.

“... We take what we want and leave the rest… Just like your salad bar.” --Egg Shen

FedoraGent

One Too Many
DancingSweetie said:
Funny. I read in yesterday's paper about an incident downtown where a cop started asking a guy some questions because he suspected he was there to deal drugs, and the guy just started running, but his pants were so baggy that they kept falling down and the cop easily caught him. lol

THIS...is what I call poetic justice.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot