Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frustrated! Addressing people by their title, and other 'old-fashioned' sayings

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Actually, getting back to the start/point of the thread, I do find it a little irritating to be addressed by my first name by salespeople (particularly telephone ones) rather than as Mr., unless they've asked permission to do so. Mostly we still get the title here in the UK, and I'd rather it stays that way, but the immediate swtich to first names does seem to becoming more common.

Dave E

One of the Regulars
Well, although it's true that Northern Ireland isn't part of Great Britain, many of the those living in N. Ireland are of British extract. Yet I understand your point.

Apologies, my comment should have had a smilie appended, it wasn't a criticism. I was just enjoying the quirky way the UK is held together.:)

Jack Patch

Familiar Face
What I find very strange is how some women actually object to being addressed as "Ma'am" because it makes them feel old. [huh]

I use Ma'am more from military training then anything.

I address people I don't know as Ma'am, Miss, or Sir, even people I know get the same treatment more often than not.

My job has me on the phones working with customers. Unless I have spoken to the caller several times and know them well I always use the terms above.

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Ma'am, and Sir. Are they too formal?

Having lived in the Deep South for a few years of my childhood I was taught to always use those terms addressing people. Then I moved north for several years and kept getting sour looks and comments from people. They thought I was being sarcastic or patronizing.

It made me miss the South - and I decided to keep using those terms as my own little "rebellion". What do we call a society in which one uses terms of respect and is a "nonconformist"?

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Actually, getting back to the start/point of the thread, I do find it a little irritating to be addressed by my first name by salespeople (particularly telephone ones) rather than as Mr., unless they've asked permission to do so. Mostly we still get the title here in the UK, and I'd rather it stays that way, but the immediate swtich to first names does seem to becoming more common.

Yes that annoys me too, especially when they are alot yonger than me.

I am in the service industry and always address my clients as Sir, Mr, Mrs or Miss. It was installed in us at school and in my first job many years ago and has stayed with me ever since.

I am also the only one who wears a tie at my workplace, even the bosses do not.

I do not think trainers and or jeans are suitable in the workplace either and I try not to shorten words too, also hearing the words train station grinds on me, it should be railway station.

I prefer the old fashioned/traditional values which are sadly lacking today.

Last edited:

BladeOfAnduril

One of the Regulars
I can relate to this... I tend to speak in more modern lingo, but do like to incorporate some "old fashion" words - so generally my choice of words isn't criticized. What I am criticized for is the way I dress. Particularly my hats. My office is casual - jeans and polos. With the exception of Friday, when I'll allow myself to wear a pair of dark jeans, I wear trousers, dress shirts, and occasionally a tie, and I always have a hat (except for today, as it's in the 90s here and my panama hasn't arrived yet). My coworkers poke fun regularly. My wife even gives me a hard time, which I find particularly grating. Just last night she threatened to buy me skinny jeans, Converse sneakers and a iphone to complete my "hipster" look. It's quite irritating. I wouldn't mind if folks were genuinely interested in my motives, but they aren't. They just like to point out the difference as if it is a bad thing. I despise conformity.

Asienizen - I like your avatar! Rothbard is one of the greats!

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
How would you feel if you are Jewish;)

Reminds me of an old Dick Van Dyke show dealing with labor relations:

Dick Van Dyke (to his boss): You think you can push us around and order us around like Captain Bligh! Well Mr. Christian says NO!

Morey Amsterdam: And so does Mr. Jewish!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
In Derbyshire everybody(working class/agricultural class especially) refers to everybody as 'duck'....not the feathered type but from the Old English/Norse, Germanic Ducha/duka meaning duke or duchess so you can use it on everyone you meet and don't need to remember names! just another 10 miles north in Sheffield everyone is 'love' male or female!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
In Derbyshire everybody(working class/agricultural class especially) refers to everybody as 'duck'....not the feathered type but from the Old English/Norse, Germanic Ducha/duka meaning duke or duchess so you can use it on everyone you meet and don't need to remember names! just another 10 miles north in Sheffield everyone is 'love' male or female!

On a similar note, I think in Devon & Cornwall in Southwest England everyone is called "My Dear" male or female and around Newcastle upon Tyne & the Northeast of England everyone is "Pet", in Liverpool it is "Wack" for men & "Queen" for the ladies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner