Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frye Boots

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I became interested in Frye several years ago when my wife bought a pair of their lace-ups, and I was impressed by their solidity and quality. Since them I've bought six pairs and wear them all the time. Great boots.

I have some of each.
My Frye Brando boots are great, but I wear my Wolverines much more. My Redwing Beckmans are still stiff as a board.

tropicalbob

It seems that they have different production lines. First, certain styles, for instance the Americana, are very expensive and, I'd suppose, made from more expensive materials. Then they have a middle range, made in this country, that have leather soles or half-soles that are stitched right through the sole (don't know all the terms), and others made in Mexico, which seem to have the rubber soles. All are solid boots and shoes.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I have a pair of their made in America engineer boots. They are made with Horween leather. They weren't advertised that way, but I noticed the Horween mark/stamp inside one of the boots. I have and wear a lot of shoes/boots, so I can't really speak regarding their durability, but they appear very well made.

tropicalbob

I just realized I hadn't reallt answered your question, but I think Grayland just did. The Rand Lace boots I have in black are made from their heavy Scotch-grain and are lined in very soft leather. My Phillip Inside zips are distressed cowhide (I believe), and my Jqckson Engineers in brown and black both seem to be cowhide. I just noticed that they're now offering an Americana cowboy boot that looks very nice and is at a reasonable price.

Blackadder

I own 6 pairs of Frye and bought my first pair about 20 years ago. That first pair are Campus style and are going great though have not worn them for awhile as they need to be resoled. Most of the Frye are now made outside US even their made for Coach boots. Their harness boots are still made in the US, present model cowboy boots are I think made in Mexico. You can probably find some deadstock US made Frye on ebay.

I'd try to get to a store to see them in person.
They all fit and feel differently. The soles and where you'll be going in them also makes a difference.

I have a pair of the Campus boots from the 1980s (that are great) and recently purchased a heavily discounted pair of Brando/Rand engineers and a pair of Arkansas engineers. Very happy with them. Both pair of engineer boots are comfortable right out of the box, but the Arkansas fits me better in the heel (less slip). My wife has had several pairs over the years and loves them. These are all USA made. I'm wanting a pair of Arkansas Mid Lace like the OP and hope to hear some specific feedback on that model as well.

Blackadder

I just remember I also have a pair of saddle shoes from Arkansas collection. Thin leather sole so wears out pretty quick, I had the cobbler fixed a metal toe plate on it.

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
I bought a pair of Frye engineer boots in a store. They are very solid and look very good, the leather is of very good quality. The right boot was put together crooked, which I did not notice until a long time afterwards (yeah, I know that's dumb [huh]). The problem is at the heel, and it causes the right boot to sag inwards.

As this sadly indicates a quality control unworthy of this famous US brand, I would not recommend buying these online, but to go and try them on in a store, and give them a very good inspection before buying. And looking through the excellent engineer boot thread on this forum first so you'll know what to look for...

emigran

Practically Family
Back in the day no well respected hipster would be without their Frye boots... Went through several pair... I can remember wearing a brand new pair and getting stuck in my 68 VW and having to walk 5+miles ... broke them in sho nuff...!!

Last edited:
That's why when I wanted engineer boots a few years back that Frye was the first brand that came to mind.That was before I found TFL. I've been to their store in NYC, and sad to say, they aren't the best anymore. Although As I mentioned I like my Brando boots but the 1/2 sole is coming off and I don't wear them a lot. My Wolverine Krause boots fit and feel great! and Beckmans...well they are a "sturdy" boot to say the least. I really think you gotta try them all to see what works for you.

Don't rule out White's semi-dress!
They rock!!!!

Last edited:

kyboots

Practically Family
Pat: I have always loved Frye boots. Bought my first pair of harness boots ( brown ) in 1970 along with a pair of brown leather pants. They were all made in the NE USA then; tough as nails and most pairs are still around somewhere in a garage today. There are at least 15 pairs of Fryes from Campus boots, black and brown harness boots, tall 70's lace up boots any leather fetish you could find for the time and my age ( 18 ) Over the years the leather got thinner and some llines are no longer made here but for the money most times you can't go wrong. Fryes are great for Friday night fancy. There is a difference as tropicalBob pointed out about the lines and where they are made, but for the cost and the look Frye boots still can't be beat, especially those made in USA. I would also deal with Zappos, right here south of Louisville. If you dont like send them back, very accommodating to the customer.
Now saying all that, if you only want an engineer boot and you want the best, then you have to read the engineering boot thread. It is long and involved but extremely thorough. If your thing is engineers, you wont be happy until you do. I am a Wesco Boss guy and , but the Wolverine listed above is a great lower cost alternative that will wear. I have a pair and love them. Good looking Engineers are very popular right now and everbody wants a pair. Most that we talk about can be bought for $400-$600, the specialty boots are roughly $1000. Depends on what you want, but knowledge is key here. There are always guys selling their boots and moving on to the next score. If you are their size you will be in. Always ask questions and welcome to FL.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner