Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: 1943 tan gabardine wool DB trenchcoat with wool liner, Kling Bros. Chicago, Sz 36

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I recently bought this rare civilian tan wool trench only to find out that it's literally one inch off in sizing. I'm a 37" chest and can wear it, but with the overall dimensions this coat is cut for a size 36 R/S. It's the narrow shoulder that makes it a tad too snug on me. After the initial phase of denial I'm ready to offer it for sale to see if anyone is interested.

This is the most beautiful trench coat I've ever had the priviledge to inspect personally, and it's flawless but for the inevitable leather abrasion of the leather-covered metal buckles. The garment has already been cleaned by my trusted dry-cleaner who does the pressing by hand.
The removable wool liner is buttoned all the way around, not zippered, and is made of a high quality wool fleece.
The outer fabric, the wool gabardine, is also of high quality.
This coat was made to measure by Kling Bros. of Chicago, dated December 24th 1943.
As far as I can tell, no alterations have been made to the garment.

I'm asking a little less than what I have into it (€230.-), which is...

€200.- plus actual shipping from Germany

PM me with your questions. Payment by Paypal - or within the Euro zone by EU bank transfer.

Inevitably this will be more attractive to EU-based Loungers than those in the States.

Exact measurements are as follows.

OVERALL SIZE 36 reg. to short

Chest, pit to pit: 20.8" (53cm)
Waist: 18.9" (48,3cm)
Shoulder width: 17" (43cm)
Sleeve length: 23" (58,4cm)
Back length from base of collar: 44" (112cm)

Fits best a chest 36" or smaller
Fits best an arm length of 31.8" (81cm) or shorter (meaning the half arm span, or the distance from the base of the neck to the wrist [the point where the wrist bends sideways])

These are the original seller's photos, so they show the coat before cleaning. Any wrinkles you see here are now gone.

HTWm0n9.jpg

XJpQdQW.jpg

TXDK3ps.jpg

vE6AVA8.jpg

8Lma9Da.jpg

QWxKVTA.jpg

RIgknye.jpg

VH08rGs.jpg

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I forgot to mention that the coat has no discolorations whatsoever. It's uniformly tan.

I'm not making any money on this as it is, nevertheless please feel free to make me an offer.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Still available at €150 plus shipping from Germany. For EU based Loungers, this is the chance to get a period civilian wool trench for a decent price.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
One more price drop:

€120 plus shipping from Germany

Shipping cost is:

within Germany €7
within EU €17
USA, Canada €36
most other locations (Japan, most of Asia) €43

I'm listing this one in Euro currency, as an exception, because I think it's more likely for EU-based Loungers to buy it - taxes are already paid, and it's low shipping cost compared to the usual cost involved in overseas purchases.

Note that €/$ exchange is almost in parity now. It adds up to $171 shipped to the U.S. as of now. If this is still too much, feel free to make me an offer. You won't be disappointed with this coat.

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I have to make room for a WWII Mackintosh which replaces this wool trench for me, so here's another price drop.

I'm pricing this one in Euro for EU Loungers and in Dollars for US Loungers to make things easier for you (I hope).

The prices are:

within Germany: €75 including shipping

within the EU: €85 including shipping

to the U.S. and Canada: $100 including shipping (that's a heavily reduced shipping rate)

other locations, please ask for a quote

Rodney

Familiar Face
If there was any chance at all of it fitting me I'd be all over it. No way though. I'm not sure of my size in inches, it's been a long time since I bought any dress shirts but I'm XL or XXL shirt size.
Beautiful trench coat.
Rodney

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
In order not to compromise storage, this coat is going to my closet in another town this weekend. If anyone is interested in this coat, I can ship it right away before that date (May 10th), else I'll have to delay the dispatch. Not sure when I'll be back at the other place, might be a month.

STILL AVAILABLE at the respective price listed in my post just above (post #7).

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
bump.

prices:

to the U.S. and Canada: $100 including shipping (that's a heavily reduced shipping rate)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Someone please buy this!!! You are never going to see another coat like it at that price (unless you are very, very lucky).

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Yes, the coat is made for a thin frame and medium to shorter height, about 5'6" or 5'7" and shorter.

I should add that in my opinion, the leather cover of the metal buckles should be removed because it's flaking. One could either leave it that way or source some pigskin and have an alteration tailor sew new leather to the buckles, which is no big deal. I think the original leather is natural (undyed) pigskin.

Here is a source for natural pigskin - this side of the pond, in the UK:
http://www.leprevo.co.uk/hides.htm
Scroll down to "pigskin lining". Use the rest of the hide to sew some home-made unlined gloves. :)

Thanks for the moral support, TT!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
bump.

prices:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael