Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Early '30s German three-piece suit

anon`

One Too Many
Wow, so, it's been a long, long while since I've been here! Life, it seems, has gotten in the way.

And now, I'm afraid (for me--hopefully it's good for one of you!) it's come time for me to part with some of my suits. I'm hoping that they wind up in a good home, with someone who can, you know, actually wear them!

Perhaps I'm doing this a bit backward, but I'm starting with what I consider to be the jewel of my collection, an all-black, fine herringbone, three-piece suit of a style that I've, frankly, never seen before or since.

I'm no true fashion historian, but my understanding is that this particular style was exceedingly popular in Germany for a very short time, from about 1929-1931. Two things, in particular, stand out to me: the link-button jacket closure, and the faux-undervest on the waistcoat. The former is pretty self explanatory, and I think the photos show it well enough. The latter, however, is a bit more interesting. As I understand it, time was that a gentleman had an extra undergarment, that went over the shirt an under the waistcoat. Not sure if it has a proper name, so I'll just call it an undervest. It would seem that, by the 1930s, that particular undergarment had fallen by the wayside, though it would seem to have been considered distinguished enough to live on in some fashion, not unlike the modern, attached, contrasting collar hearkens back to the days of to-attach collars. At least, that's my understanding! Either way, it's pretty cool.

So then, how about some photos?

IMG_3286.jpg

IMG_3285.jpg

IMG_3277.jpg

IMG_3281.jpg

IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

Measurements:
Please remember, these are approximate, and taken to the best of my ability; I'm not a trained tailor or dealer, but have done my best to give accurate numbers. All measurements were made with the garments laying flat.

Jacket:
-Chest: 19" (nothing to let)
-Shoulders: 18"
-Sleeve: 26"
-Length: 32" (lots of let)

Waistcoat:
-Chest: 18"

Pants:
-Waist: 16" (nothing to let)
-Outseam: 42.5" (2" of let, at least)
-Inseam: 32"
-Leg Opening: 11"
-Pants are cuffed, approximately 2" deep

In modern sizing terms, I would call this a 36L, that cawin (and has) been let out to a 38 on the long-ish side. I'm 6'0", and even (heavily) tailored for me, it's still a little long. I could wear it when I was a 38. Now, I wear a 40, and it's not happening!

Asking $700 to a Lounger. Please feel free to PM or reply to the thread with any questions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21