Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: NEW Aero Hercules CXL Steerhide Brown - Shearling Lined / Alpaca

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Hey Everyone;

I am sad to let this one go but I have no choice. I actually just purchased this a few months ago from Thurston but before even receiving this awesome custom jacket, I had a fall and ended up with a slipped disc herniation in my lower back. I had to have surgery for the sciatic pain and now this jacket, although so wonderful in everyway, is a bit too heavy for my repaired spine to carry. I waited this long in hopes that I might be able to comfortably wear it after a few months of post-surgery recovery but I think I'll have to stick with lightweight hides from now on.

It is truly a beast of a jacket as it is made from Heavy CXL Aero Steerhide and lined in Brown luxurious thick Shearling and the sleeves lined in Brown Alpaca. Extremely Warm and very easy to slip on and off !! During my recovery time, I put in some custom add-ons from a Professional Leather Tailor that I feel added some further enchancements to the Jacket: Vintage antique looking snap buttons on the pockets and lower hem side cinches on both sides to allow a more tapered look if desired. The Jacket just screams quality in every way and one of a kind after the custom add-ons.

It is in BRAND-NEW Condition with Tags still on !! From a Clean, Smoke-Free, Pet-Free Home.

I paid $1450 a few months ago. Asking: $850 Shipped + Paypal fees

Dimensions:

Size: 42 Regular
Pit-to-Pit: 23"
Sleeves: 26.25"
Back: 29"
Shoulder to Shoulder: 19.75"

Jacket 7.jpg

Jacket 8.jpg

Jacket 2.jpg

Jacket 6.jpg

Jacket 3.jpg

Jacket 4.jpg

Jacket 5.jpg

Last edited:

Vince in Philly

Familiar Face
Sorry to hear about your back troubles. I've had a few neck surgeries myself so I feel your pain. That's a fantastic looking jacket. Would you mind sharing your height and weight for reference? Do you typically wear a size 42 in a suit, or did you have to size up in this jacket in order to allow for the shearling lining? Can you also list the shoulder seam to shoulder seam measurement? Thanks.

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Sorry to hear about your back troubles. I've had a few neck surgeries myself so I feel your pain. That's a fantastic looking jacket. Would you mind sharing your height and weight for reference? Do you typically wear a size 42 in a suit, or did you have to size up in this jacket in order to allow for the shearling lining? Can you also list the shoulder seam to shoulder seam measurement? Thanks.

Hi Vince;

Thanks for your kind words ! I knew I forgot something in the Dimensions. Completely missed on putting in the Shoulder to Shoulder measurement. I have updated it above. Its 19.75". I do wear a size 42 suit. On my Order form to Aero / Thurston, I did specify a size 42. However, Aero automatically uses a size up to accommodate the thick shearling liner. My height is 175 cm and weight is 176 lbs. The jacket hits a couple of inches below my belt line.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Tough break, about the back troubles. But don't give up on your body just yet. It takes time to heal and rebuild. Recovery from that surgery takes about a year, according to my doctor. I haven't needed it yet, thankfully, but I've had a couple of bouts with sciatica and have a disc in my back that sometimes gives me trouble. Over the last few years since the last bout with sciatica, in 2011, I've been exercising, and since then I've managed to reverse my condition for the most part, although some days are better than others. You might not be able to wear such a heavy jacket now, but it's possible, with time, after you've recovered, you'll be able to again. Good luck to you.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Good luck with your recovery.
I have both a hernia in my lower back and a shearling lined aero - not the perfect combination.
I would give another try with the jacket next year, after recovery.
Good luck.

PMThinks

New in Town
Good luck on your recovery. I had an L4-L3 fusion and a Laminectomy done last August with a body brace for almost four months. I finished PT and walk almost daily for 2 - 3 miles in my Aero LHB (8.2 pounds). It can be done. If your coat was a 46 I'd snatch it up!

Tinytim

Familiar Face
I am very sorry to hear about your fall and injuring your back. I wish you a speedy recovery.
You have very good taste in jackets. A truly beautiful jacket. A pity you are considering giving it up.
Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Hey guys;

Winter is around the corner ! This beauty is still available and will keep its new owner toasty warm during the cold months ahead !

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
Still available, guys!... Christmas is around the corner... Get an early start on gifts.... Make me an offer on this jacket..

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I am concerned that with the thick lining that the coat may be too tight for me. Most of the official measurements are spot on. Sleeves are already a little short, but not much. How tall are you and what do you weigh? Do you have a fit pic. Does Aero take into account the thickness of the lining when they make a heavy beauty like this?
That is a monster coat made for real cold country. Pretty nice. I will be retiring to the mountains of Northern New Mexico soon. I suppose I could pay someone to break it in. Or run over it a bunch of times with my car. :)

Windstorm81

One of the Regulars
I am concerned that with the thick lining that the coat may be too tight for me. Most of the official measurements are spot on. Sleeves are already a little short, but not much. How tall are you and what do you weigh? Do you have a fit pic. Does Aero take into account the thickness of the lining when they make a heavy beauty like this?
That is a monster coat made for real cold country. Pretty nice. I will be retiring to the mountains of Northern New Mexico soon. I suppose I could pay someone to break it in. Or run over it a bunch of times with my car. :)

It's definitely a warm beast. It is Aero's practice to use one size up from the requested size (in this case 44) for jacket frame whenever Shearling liner is asked for. I usually wear a size 42 suit and this jacket fits me very well with space still inside to wear a hoodie or a sweater. Because it is based on 1950s style, it has a roomier interior to allow for layering. I am 175 cm tall and weigh 175 lbs. I have broader shoulders and an athletic build. Attached is my fit pic 20150726_003033_zpsokvwqrhi.jpg

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hi Windsrotm 81

So you are a bout 10.5 centimeters shorter than me and the sleeves don't look very long on you. Carrie just set me up with a Half Back Deluxe with almost 2 inch larger P to P, (but I asked for extra room) shoulders are about the same, longer jacket by design, sleeves 3/4" shorter. Hmmm......

I'd gamble on it, but not too much. I don't know how much you want to get rid of it. I certainly can't wear it for a few years until I retire to the mountains. I'm in the SF Bay Area now and my HBD Vicenza is too heavy. I have heard some fun stories of breaking in cxl horsehide. Yours is a fortified one. I also heard that once they are broken in that there is nothing like it.

I think you have very special jacket there!

My new Half Back Deluxe Vicenza
Back length--26.75 inches
Sleeve length--27 inches
Pit-to-pit--24.75 inches
Shoulder--20.25 inches
Waist/bottom hem--23.5 inches

Your jacket is:

Size: 42 Regular
Pit-to-Pit: 23"
Sleeves: 26.25"
Back: 29"
Shoulder to Shoulder: 19.75"

If you would like you could PM me with a bottom number you can do.

Thanks

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Hi Windstorm81

Here is one way that Aero suggests on their web page to brake in a jacket:

Screen Shot 2017-10-28 at 9.28.08 PM.png

Here is another that they suggest, which I would prefer. However it is unlikely:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points