Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full custom Field Leathers Manhattan review

Damon141

Practically Family
This would be a great addition to his permanent line up, amazing what you two came up with together.

The details are amazing, I can’t believe how close the stitching comes to the edges in some areas, so close that he is risking going over.

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
I always loved how Greg's jackets went from looking very angular and geometric when laying on the floor to coming alive when they were worn. But this jacket is a three dimentional work of art from every angle. This jacket is a masterpiece. I'd probably retire from the hobby after this....

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Last year, right after receiving the aviator, I put in another order.

I found a bunch of detailed pics of a mid / late '30s Leathertogs somewhere on the internet and I immediately fell in love, this was the jacket I wanted. Lucky for me Greg was willing to take on the challenge of reproducing it.
Saying Greg went above and beyond would be an understatement. He had do a totally new design, apply construction techniques he never applied before and use hardware he never used before (who has heard of a Gypsy stud?). This was a challenging project, maybe a bit too challenging for his liking (I'm sorry Greg, I know I'm not the easiest customer to please). At times I wasn't sure this project would end well (he had to do a couple of rebuilds) but man did he deliver.

I could write a page long review on this project and it's challenges, but I won't. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

IMG_6040.jpeg
IMG_6042.jpeg
IMG_6117.jpeg
IMG_6043.jpeg
IMG_6044.jpeg
IMG_6046.jpeg
IMG_6061.jpeg
IMG_6055.jpeg
IMG_6053.jpeg
IMG_6052.jpeg

Last edited:

newtojackets

Practically Family
Last year, right after receiving the aviator, I put in another order.

I found a bunch of detailed pics of a mid / late '30s Leathertogs somewhere on the internet and I immediately fell in love, this was the jacket I wanted. Lucky for me Greg was willing to take on the challenge of reproducing it.
Saying Greg went above and beyond would be an understatement. He had do a totally new design, apply construction techniques he never applied before and use hardware he never used before (who has heard of a Gypsy stud?). This was a challenging project, maybe a bit too challenging for his liking (I'm sorry Greg, I know I'm not the easiest customer to please). At times I wasn't sure this project would end well (he had to do a couple of rebuilds) but man did he deliver.

I could write a page long review on this project and it's challenges, but I won't. I'll let the pictures do the talking.

View attachment 533570 View attachment 533571 View attachment 533572 View attachment 533573 View attachment 533574 View attachment 533575 View attachment 533576 View attachment 533577 View attachment 533578 View attachment 533579
Gorgeous. Greg really goes above and beyond.

And I think I speak for everyone when I say, feel free to write a full-page review, I know I’d gladly read it!

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up

mumpy

A-List Customer
I like how there is a method behind your collecting "madness". Find an unobtainium jacket that you like and recreate it as faithfully as possible. There is no other collection like yours. Very cool.
Yeah! I guess the stages of jacket collecting madness are as follows:

1. Mall jacket (skip this step if you can)
2. Proper jacket OTR in new condition
3. Used but not vintage jacket, good deal from classifieds
4. Vintage jacket
5. Vintage jacket that looks amazing but falls apart when you touch it
6. Custom jacket with 2 year lead time. Proceed to sell it a few days later because pattern didn’t work out.
7. Keep buying used/vintage until you figure out what you like and what fits well.
8. Custom jacket that fits
9. Custom pattern/recreation from original
10. Move on to wool jackets or watches.

That is exceptional. IMO LTs are the prettiest vtg jackets, while also being highly functional MC jackets. Perfect. This has got to land in your top 3 repro list, no?

BTW, I want to see your top 3 true vtg list. I have my guesses on what you will say.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Yeah! I guess the stages of jacket collecting madness are as follows:

1. Mall jacket (skip this step if you can)
2. Proper jacket OTR in new condition
3. Used but not vintage jacket, good deal from classifieds
4. Vintage jacket
5. Vintage jacket that looks amazing but falls apart when you touch it
6. Custom jacket with 2 year lead time. Proceed to sell it a few days later because pattern didn’t work out.
7. Keep buying used/vintage until you figure out what you like and what fits well.
8. Custom jacket that fits
9. Custom pattern/recreation from original
10. Move on to wool jackets or watches.
Lol @ton312 must have cycled trough all of these stages (except #6) about 17 times lol.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
IMO LTs are the prettiest vtg jackets, while also being highly functional MC jackets.
I agree. So many nice details on those jackets, unparalleled really.
This has got to land in your top 3 repro list, no?
Absolutely. Together with the Regius aviator and a Thedi that's currently in the making.
BTW, I want to see your top 3 true vtg list. I have my guesses on what you will say.
This may sound trite but #1 and #2 are without a doubt the j24 and j82.

The j24 does everything right. Nicest vintage leather I've ever handled, great construction quality, comfortable pattern with a modern fit.

In terms of leather and construction quality the j82 can't hold a candle to the j24 but I love it's design and modern fit.

IMG_6138.jpeg

#3 is a tie between the Sierra and the Montgomery ward. As for leather the Sierra has the edge, it looks and feels exactly like the j24's leather. I wouldn't be surprised if the hides came from the same tannery. With regard to the fit I prefer the Montgomery Ward as it looks more modern than the Sierra with its wide shoulders and huge upper sleeves.

IMG_6139.jpeg

Is this the 'shitty Italian cow'?

Totally shitty lol.

It's a great looking leather but for a motorcycle jacket I would have liked it to be a bit more firm. It does feel somewhat floppy. Better suited for aviator or halfbelt styles.

I agree. So many nice details on those jackets, unparalleled really.

Absolutely. Together with the Regius aviator and a Thedi that's currently in the making.

This may sound trite but #1 and #2 are without a doubt the j24 and j82.

The j24 does everything right. Nicest vintage leather I've ever handled, great construction quality, comfortable pattern with a modern fit.

In terms of leather and construction quality the j82 can't hold a candle to the j24 but I love it's design and modern fit.

View attachment 533657

#3 is a tie between the Sierra and the Montgomery ward. As for leather the Sierra has the edge, it looks and feels exactly like the j24's leather. I wouldn't be surprised if the hides came from the same tannery. With regard to the fit I prefer the Montgomery Ward as it looks more modern than the Sierra with its wide shoulders and huge upper sleeves.

View attachment 533658

Totally shitty lol.

It's a great looking leather but for a motorcycle jacket I would have liked it to be a bit more firm. It does feel somewhat floppy. Better suited for aviator or halfbelt styles.

Awesome. Thanks Marc.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You never cease to inspire us, Marc. Your collection is a treasure trove of wonder, and your commitment to acquiring what you want, with all the effort it entails, is exceptionally admirable. (It took me years and years to train my tailor to make vintage-style suits for me and to listen and understand what I was trying to achieve, so I know it takes a lot of cajoling to avoid disappointing compromise. He retired last year so I'm in all sorts of a mess now!) You are one stylish guy and I love seeing your jackets. Many thanks for your posts!

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
You never cease to inspire us, Marc. Your collection is a treasure trove of wonder, and your commitment to acquiring what you want, with all the effort it entails, is exceptionally admirable. (It took me years and years to train my tailor to make vintage-style suits for me and to listen and understand what I was trying to achieve, so I know it takes a lot of cajoling to avoid disappointing compromise. He retired last year so I'm in all sorts of a mess now!) You are one stylish guy and I love seeing your jackets. Many thanks for your posts!
Thank you for the compliment Benny and nice to hear you appreciate the pics. It's fun trying to find those camera angles that best highlight Greg's exceptional craftsmanship. To me these custom made jackets are works of art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112