Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Full Hat Collection Photographs Thread

barrowjh

One Too Many
Chinaski, for a while there I was shaping every crown that way if there was enough felt, but more recently I just go ahead and pop up the big bubble of felt in the middle. My noggin has a high crown and hats that are sharply raked back will top out on me, and the DTD treatment really did not help deal with that as much as I wished. I have not removed (reshaped) any DTD crowns yet, but that will happen eventually.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I spent all evening doing this. I don't know how you guys get yours to look so good!

hatcollage.jpg

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Was doing some arranging, so while I had them all out, I decided to take a pic.

1st Row: Late '20s Stetson No.1 Quality
2nd Row: '30s Campbell homburg, '30s Stetson Special Homburg
3rd Row: '30s Penn-Craft (Stetson Division), '30s Stetson Special, '40s Stetson (Unknown Model)
4th Row: Late 1800's(?) Lenox Derby, 1920s Stetson Derby

07110.jpg

Moving Day

Annual moving day where I put my black dress hats up to the top shelf and bring the straw hats down within easier reach. Have some more work to do to get the straws ready for summer, but I took a break to take some photos. Not all my hats, but many.

winter_summer1.jpg

winter_summer2.jpg

winter_summer3.jpg

winter_summer4.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
As proven in your pix posts, an impressive collection Alan. Also impressive organization. I wish I could be as carefree about moth damage as you. Smitten with them here in the NW and all things wool and felt must be protected.

Thanks Mike... moths are like vampires; they hate the daylight. We don't have a big moth problem here, but the times I have discovered moth damage was on wool stuff tucked away in the back of a closet. Of course some of my hats were not so fortunate in their previous lives.

Alan--I showed your photos to my wife, who then asked if this is where I'm going. And since honesty is the best policy, I replied "Probably."

Oh no :eusa_doh:... you are supposed to use these photos to reassure her that it could be much worse. Now you'll need to show her RLK or MayserWegener's digs.

g.durand

One Too Many
Oh no :eusa_doh:... you are supposed to use these photos to reassure her that it could be much worse. Now you'll need to show her RLK or MayserWegener's digs.

For that I used seabass'example of having his vintage clothing/hat collector friend and his wife visit him and his wife and having the collector's wife break into tears because she could actually move around in his (seabass') house.

triple-d

A-List Customer
For that I used seabass'example of having his vintage clothing/hat collector friend and his wife visit him and his wife and having the collector's wife break into tears because she could actually move around in his (seabass') house.

lol....that's funny!!!

Alan.......great collection, congrats!!!! You could send the whole neighborhhod to college!!!!!!;)

Impressive! And the organization to boot. Where do you get all that foam?

Thanks Jeff. I try to keep as few as possible in boxes. Out sight, out of mind and I forget to wear them. The foam is about 1/2" thick and came from a foam supplier in town that we use for other projects. I cut it to about 3" wide and then to the right length for my size, then bring the open ends together with two staples. Very quick and effective way to protect the ribbons and take the weight off the crowns when they are stacked. I normally stack about 4, but the upper shelf holds out of season hats stacked higher. A quick blast of steam and brushing restores any marks before wearing. Of course there is also a bunch downstairs on hat jacks and stretchers that have been worn recently or will be worn soon. And some that sit out on display because I like to look at them. And some in the front closet and some in... :eeek:

lol....that's funny!!!

Alan.......great collection, congrats!!!! You could send the whole neighborhhod to college!!!!!!;)

Thanks DDD. I wish I were better at letting them go. I think a few others might wish that as well. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points