Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral arrangements

Two possibilities, each ending in a wake:

1. Assuming I settle down with Miss Right: Remains not just cremated but carbonized--as in, reduced as much to raw carbon as possible--and then processed into one or more synthetic diamonds, cut and mounting of her choosing--as long as it's buried with her.

2. Assuming I end single, or Miss Right doesn't like option 1: boxed up in a little plot on the property, with at least one set of combat arms (two .45s, one battle-rifle, one shotgun) buried with me. Or maybe just pull a "Sarah Connor's tomb in T3"... lol

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Diamondback said:
Two possibilities, each ending in a wake:

1. Assuming I settle down with Miss Right: Remains not just cremated but carbonized--as in, reduced as much to raw carbon as possible--and then processed into one or more synthetic diamonds, cut and mounting of her choosing--as long as it's buried with her.

You sir, are a true romantic. I think that is lovely.

Hey, can you think of a better way for a guy to spend eternity with the woman he loves? (Assuming I'm ever in such a position again, and that it's mutual--and since the last one handed my heart to me on a plate, it'll probably be a while... maybe I need to see about some kind of "emotional traction regimen" to complement my "social" one here.)

pgoat

One Too Many
db, I've never heard of that....it is pretty romantic.

as for me, I guess ashes scattered in a few places I've been happiest in my life.

freebird

Practically Family
I went to the viewing of an Amish friend/neighbor. They had a wake, the body being placed in a handmade casket, that was completely open from head to foot. All the family and friends were in the living room, sitting on benches that was brought in for that purpose. We didn't attend the funeral, even though we were invited to do so, but the day of the funeral the procession was all horse drawn carriages. The body was in an enclosed wagon.

I would love to have something similar, horse drawn hearse, and buried in a handmade pine box. Donating my body wouldn't work as there are too many things wrong with it to be of benefit for anyone else.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i haven't thought about it much, beyond desiring cremation over burying. i think having one's ashes scattered would be better than being stuck in an urn forever... not that it really matters though!

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I used to think about this a lot but like most of you all I realized, "I won't be there, so what does it matter?". I want to be planted as economically as possible somewhere in the Bluegrass State.

jayem

A-List Customer
I want no embalming, a pine box on a plot of land in Minnesota my family owns. I don't much care for the idea of being stuffed with chemicals and preserved for... nothing.

Or, I'm donating my body to science.

pgoat

One Too Many
jayem said:
Or, I'm donating my body to science.
right on! I was all for this up until a few years ago when I turned 40 and everything started going to hades in a handbasket....now I'm not so sure anyone would want my body parts!!:eek:

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Tibetan Air Burial

... also known as a Sky Burial, the most spiritual way to go in some cultures.

First of all, after I am dead, someone removes my corpse and takes it into the wilderness, laying it out on a rock or meadow in the open. Then, the animals come to feast on it.

After a couple of months, the people who left me there will come back to collect the bones, which will then be pulverized into a fine powder, mixed with bread and thrown to the birds.

I will then be entirely consumed by nature.

karol

zaika

One Too Many
K.D. Lightner said:
... also known as a Sky Burial, the most spiritual way to go in some cultures.

First of all, after I am dead, someone removes my corpse and takes it into the wilderness, laying it out on a rock or meadow in the open. Then, the animals come to feast on it.

After a couple of months, the people who left me there will come back to collect the bones, which will then be pulverized into a fine powder, mixed with bread and thrown to the birds.

I will then be entirely consumed by nature.

karol

that's beautiful. really.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
pgoat said:
right on! I was all for this up until a few years ago when I turned 40 and everything started going to hades in a handbasket....now I'm not so sure anyone would want my body parts!!:eek:

Well, they might not be able to recycle you into someone else, but it's still very likely you could be used for study. At least in this state, there is a shortage of bodies for study by med students. You don't have to be in tip-top shape for that! ;)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Call me old fashioned ...

I want a traditional, old-time funeral. Nothing fancy or "cute", just a simple funeral service at the church with a couple of the good old old hymns being sung, followed by burial in a simple casket in the same graveyard where several generations of my family are buried.

Of course having a preacher that can lie real good good and say what a wonderful person I was wouldn't hurt either ... :)

pgoat

One Too Many
Joie DeVive said:
Well, they might not be able to recycle you into someone else, but it's still very likely you could be used for study. At least in this state, there is a shortage of bodies for study by med students. You don't have to be in tip-top shape for that! ;)
ok - put me back on the list!:D

Actually I don't think I ever de-activated my organ donor status.....I should check into that.....

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
All this is fantasy of course, so the money is no object. Lord knows what I will do if I have to pay for it!
I want an open casket if I am still cute enough/not mangled by whatever killed me, I will be dressed in my wedding dress (which would have to be cut up the back to get it on, so it's probably the only way I can wear it again!). Lots of pretty white flowers. Bach's Brandenburg #3. 'Youkali Tango" by Kurt Weill, as played by the Kronos Quartet (also was wedding music for us).
No embalming, just lots of makeup. And a no nonsense cremation, but put my ashes in a nice Deco urn of some sort.
Then everyone out the door and walking behind the Preservation Hall Jazz Band playing St. James Infirmary, until they arrive at the party, where we will have masses of dancing, music, stories to share, and several casks of Maker's Mark.
I want my ashes split between a scattering in the Pacific of the coast of Mendocino, and the rest to go with my husbands' wherever he wants his scattered (some place in Mexico).
I do not want to donate the whole carcass, but they can take anything useful like eyes (which are myopic) and stuff like that. But I would like to be recognizable to my friends if they want to see me. I think it is really important to see our dead loved ones, otherwise it really doesn't give you closure. But that's just me...
darling, lol.... I would weep like the lady in black at valentino's grave

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
my final arrangments

Well seeing that I actually worked at a cemetery! Which sucked! excuse my french! I will not be buried!
So in the event of my untimely death, which of coures I shall die young! I want a wake, wearing my best vintage suit with a hat...gloves everything........
lots of Beautiful Flowers! I want Stardust by nat king cole and Begune the Begun.....and Rock a bye your baby! By Judy Garland and" while my guitar gently weeps" playing! yeah my folks are reformed Hippies.
Then I want to be creamted, where half of my ashes will go into a gold deco urn from the 1940's,and placed in the " great Mansoleum" in " Glendale Forest Lawn"
the remaining ashes to be scattered at all the places I love!
A little on Rosalind Russell's Grave, over the golden gate Bridge! over the snake river in twin falls Idaho,down Hollywood Blvd,and for the kid in me......disneyland.....the garden of the haunted mansion!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Miss 1940's -- that's really neat.

There are so many places I'd want my ashes scattered, hadn't thought about scattering some of it over a grave.

Let's see -- James Dean's grave, probably would be hard to do considering the traffic and people who come to see the place.

karol

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Diamondback, you stole mine!

I've always thought that if you were carbonized into a diamond, you could be passed on to your heirs (is this too morbid?). In a way it's kind of like Victorian mourning jewelry....only I hope that my kids keep better track of me and I don't show up in an estate sale or something!

Barring that, I'll go with Lady Day on the jazz funeral. Who doesn't love a parade?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner