Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funeral Attire...

gravedigger

New in Town
Undertaker, nice to meet you, and yes indeed it does vary firm to firm, I do also wear my pinkie ring and what not. The most important thing is to dress in a way that is both respectable and stylish, while not standing out from any of the other staff members. PS: I am in the process of becoming licensed here, how many years do you have in the industry?

undertaker

Practically Family
I have been in the funeral business for almost 12 years. I started when I was 16. I am dual licensed in Tn and currently serving as an apprentice in Ga (5 more months anyway). Its really all I've ever wanted to do, one grandfather worked parttime in the funeral home the other was a gravedigger, It is in my blood I guess.

Regards,
J.S.

gravedigger

New in Town
Completely understand what you mean, fifteen minutes into my first service I knew exaclty what I wanted to do the rest of my life, its a love it or hate it kind of business.

manton

A-List Customer
For me it's always: solid gray suit (with DB vest), white FC shirt, solid black grenadine tie, black punch cap oxfords, white linen hank folded square showing less than a quarter inch.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just passed by a funeral home staging a wake and I noticed what people were wearing some were in suits but others (adults) dressed down in polos and jeans. Anybody find that inappropriate attire? Actually one polo looked very, very vintage:rolleyes: however, I wonder if that is still a little too dressed down. [huh] [huh]

Carlisle Blues said:
I just passed by a funeral home staging a wake and I noticed what people were wearing some were in suits but others (adults) dressed down in polos and jeans. Anybody find that inappropriate attire? Actually one polo looked very, very vintage:rolleyes: however, I wonder if that is still a little too dressed down. [huh] [huh]

It is waaaaayyy to dressed down. Jeans don't belong there nor do polo shirts. I hope they were at least somber colors. :eusa_doh:

GBR

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
It is waaaaayyy to dressed down. Jeans don't belong there nor do polo shirts. I hope they were at least somber colors. :eusa_doh:

How do you pretend to know that it was not the deceased wishes that people wore jeans.....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
GBR said:
How do you pretend to know that it was not the deceased wishes that people wore jeans.....

He should have stated such in his will: "Please, don't dress up. It's only my funeral." That's similar to what I tell people when they come over for lunch.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I remember going to one funeral where the deceased was in his 49ers satin jacket. Another were the deceased had a cigar in this hands and a box of cigars with him in the casket.

WH1

Practically Family
The sad thing is there are far too many people who have no idea what appropriate dress is anymore for any event, let alone a funeral. They don't own a suit and the idea of getting a suit for an event never enters the mind, let alone what shade of grey, style and the correct degree of accessorization is. Sad state of affairs.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There have been more than a few threads on FL on the topic of people dressing like they're headed to a casual BBQ instead of a funeral. Some say those in attendance need to be comfortable, or isn't it better the showed up looking like slobs instead of staying home or maybe they were stopping in on their way to another event. All that's baloney if you ask me. If the deceased or family of the deceased haven't specifically said to dress otherwise, one dresses up as a sign of respect for the deceased.

Bugsy

One Too Many
Unfortunately, it's happening very often. I attended a funeral last year and some men came in Hawaiian shirts, shorts and flip flops. Of course, I've seen the same style dress at the opera and at church weddings. Is this the end of civilization as we know it???:eusa_doh:

m000m000

One of the Regulars
I'm starting to wonder if the jeans/hawaii-shirt funeral is an American phenomena, or alternatively if my own family from both sides really is just that 'conservative', or something, since all the funerals I've attended it's always been black or dark navy suits, and various forms of black dress or other dark conservative attire for the ladies. Can't say I have noticed much deviation at the couple of non-family funerals I've attended to, either. But of course, this is all limited personal experience so it's hard to make any bigger judgment calls.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Last time I attended funeral was in November, I think. All family was dressed appropriately, black suits, black neckties, ladies all in black, except my unlce, who didn´t make it to the funeral and then showed up in jeans and some sports coat. Rest of the people were in their daily attire and we didn´t mind it. What we did mind that they wouldn´t be silent when my grandfather wanted to say something.

Funeral home assistants should dress in a somber fashion, not severe but avoiding too much style. Black Suit, plain white shirt, black tie, black socks and shoes. Minimal jewelry and nothing gaudy.

Think Men In Black.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80