Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fur felt in hot weather?

FurFeltFedora

A-List Customer
Thanks Blackthorn the pics have one and only one purpose - to help people out when they are wondering about the Federation IV. I know when I first starting posting I would have loved to have a single collection of all the Standard Fed IVs for comparison. Just glad I could give a little back to the FL.

And you are certainly an early riser, but be close to 05:30 there (I'm 4.5 hours ahead of you).

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Fur felts for summer

I have no Akubras, although I still debate whether or not to get a Fed IV one day (cost stopping me as I am too penniless to by any hat be it expensive or not).

But, I do wear a fur felt in summer. I own no straws and unless I move to somewhere humid and hot that will stay like that. My modern Stetson is a similar weight to an Akubra I believe and it is also lined.

So what I can add for the suitability of a fur felt, is that a lighter colour will make it more suitable (obviously). Taking off the hat now and then to let trapped warm air escape has so far helped prevent my hat from staining (although the liner on my hat is black which doesn't show up stains). The liner does make it warmer but prevents the felt from staining. Replacing a liner is a cheap process but cleaning the felt is expensive.

And finally, being a Brit a fur felt is also more practical as it rains a lot even in summer. Today for example, it felt like winter not summer. I went for a five minute walk to the shop, wearing a hat, great coat and gloves and I actually came home freezing cold (the rain didn't help). A fur felt will protect you from sudden showers but with a straw it will be you protecting the hat rather than the hat protecting you.

Goose.

Practically Family
Tiller said:
This is a bit surprising, so some of you do enjoy wearing your fur felt in hot weather days huh? Do you guys find it better then straw on those 90 degree plus days?
Hey Tiller...it's relatively mild around here where Blackthorn and I live. Ususally in the 80's during summer with low humidity. But it does get hotter.
When it hits 90, I wear a straw. On one of those borderline days, it's the Tawny Fawn or Moonstone lately. Used to be the Sydney as it seems lighter in weight. I gotta get a small scale.

Blackthorn, the "Admirial"/"Skipper"/"Captain" references started when I posted and said that my "Federation Tugboat Fleet" was assembled. "Tugboat" referring to the crease style having a small hump towards the front when viewed from the side: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=801485&postcount=946

Glad you ordered and I am certain you will be too ;)

HEY Lounge Lizards...anyone have thoughts on this...
I certainly think the Sydney has a finer felt than my Federations. That thing is soft as a glove and seems lighter than my Federations or Bogarts. Need a scale to confirm. But in the interim, while the liner says "Imperial", but was wondering if there's a difference. Anyone know?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Just to throw another anvil into the fire (talk about a mixed metaphor), I wear a 59, I ordered a 59, and with a little foam in the sides to make the hat fit my long oval head better, my brown standard fits perfectly. If I had gone up a size, the hat would have been swimming on me.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
FurFeltFedora said:
Thanks Blackthorn the pics have one and only one purpose - to help people out when they are wondering about the Federation IV. I know when I first starting posting I would have loved to have a single collection of all the Standard Fed IVs for comparison. Just glad I could give a little back to the FL.

And you are certainly an early riser, but be close to 05:30 there (I'm 4.5 hours ahead of you).
Yep, I'm something of a night owl.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Goose. said:
Hey Tiller...it's relatively mild around here where Blackthorn and I live. Ususally in the 80's during summer with low humidity. But it does get hotter.
When it hits 90, I wear a straw. On one of those borderline days, it's the Tawny Fawn or Moonstone lately. Used to be the Sydney as it seems lighter in weight. I gotta get a small scale.
I almost got a Sydney instead. It was between those two models. I went for the IV because it has a contrasting hatband instead of the similar color. I just saw Maltese Falcon the night before and liked the Fedoras that had the contrasting band better.

Blackthorn, the "Admirial"/"Skipper"/"Captain" references started when I posted and said that my "Federation Tugboat Fleet" was assembled. "Tugboat" referring to the crease style having a small hump towards the front when viewed from the side: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=801485&postcount=946
Oh that is TOO cool, Goose! It does look like a fleet!

Glad you ordered and I am certain you will be too ;)
Me too, Goose, and thanks for all your patient advice last night.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Captain Goose is well-known around here to have a sharp wit and a kind heart. He is an icon (of sorts) of the "tugboat effect", and his posts are always fun to read. Welcome to the Lounge!..........And by the way, I have a moonstone FedIV which is a great color and a nice hat. Enjoy the ride!

Jabos

A-List Customer
Blackthorn said:
lol lol Well, too late anyway...2 minutes ago I put the order in for one size larger than I normally wear. I guess this is one of those cases where you pay your dime and take your chance. Thanks for the heads up, though, about contacting them before creasing/bashing it. I'll check it out first, then I'll know more about how to proceed. You and St. Ignatz have been a great help to this newbie. Thank you both!!
I think you did right. I wear a 58, but ordered a Campdraft in a 59. At first I needed the provided foam to shore it up but over the last four months the hat has shrunk down to a perfect 58. Also, I wore it Saturday on a mid-afternoon strenuous hike with the sun beating down and a humid 95 degrees with no breeze. It got a bit sweaty but I didn't notice it being too hot. My head would have been hot in anything I wore. Keeping the sun off definitely offset the heat of the felt. In fact, I took off the hat to see if it was holding heat, but I noticed no difference so I put it back on and thought right then I wouldn't worry about felt in the Summer again. So I personally think fur felt in the Summer is okay.

In fact, I took off the hat to see if it was holding heat, but I noticed no difference so I put it back on

That's been my thought too, though it's only been up into the low 80s - when it hits 90 with high humidity I may change my tune. So far, though, I've not sweat any more with than without it.

I do know if I hadn't put a strip of deerskin suede on the sweatband I doubt I'd be wearing it at all. Can't stand the feeling of having a stiff new belt across my forehead in ANY weather, especially warm.

yes, you did the right thing

I usually wear a small 7 1/4, and ordered 58 fed iv, but over the last 7 months it's shrunk enough to be uncomfortable, so now I had to pull the roan from the sweatband and it sit with a hat jack in it when I'm not wearing it. not that big of a deal, but I wish I could leave it hanging on a hook and grab it when ever I need it.

Jabos said:
I think you did right. I wear a 58, but ordered a Campdraft in a 59. At first I needed the provided foam to shore it up but over the last four months the hat has shrunk down to a perfect 58. Also, I wore it Saturday on a mid-afternoon strenuous hike with the sun beating down and a humid 95 degrees with no breeze. It got a bit sweaty but I didn't notice it being too hot. My head would have been hot in anything I wore. Keeping the sun off definitely offset the heat of the felt. In fact, I took off the hat to see if it was holding heat, but I noticed no difference so I put it back on and thought right then I wouldn't worry about felt in the Summer again. So I personally think fur felt in the Summer is okay.

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Goose. said:
Well, Blackthorn...
I too am from CA. And I have all three. Get the Moonie. Hands down.
You can thank me later ;)

Casual . . . . .. . . . . . . . Sydney . . . . . . . . . . Federation IV Deluxe Moonstone​

470658532_FzvcR-Th-1.jpg
470754676_4sub9-Th.jpg
514228783_3KHii-Th.jpg
(BTW; where in California are you from? I've been Oaktown/East Bay since '71. Temps get warm here in July/August but not much humidity)

Goose,
Good comparison photos of those 3 hats. The Casual looks small compared to the Fedora and the Fed. The Fedora looks more substantial than I thought before seeing it here compared to the Fed. I think it looks like a fine hat.

dlvh

New in Town
Felt Fedoras in The Summer Months

Ok...I have what you folks may call a silly question...but:

Do you wear your Felt Fedoras in the summer months? Or are they too hot, and thus go to wearing Straw Hats/Fedoras, or others?

The Good

Call Me a Cab
You bet I do, and I'm from southern California. But I do wear straw as well, although I don't yet have a nice one, just a cheap thirty dollar "Ultrafino Panama Hat" that is obviously not so.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
In Los Angeles I generally mange to wear felt until July. From the 4th to the end of Sept, it's pretty much nothing but straw.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Ok...I have what you folks may call a silly question...but:

Do you wear your Felt Fedoras in the summer months? Or are they too hot, and thus go to wearing Straw Hats/Fedoras, or others?

Since in many years recently, we have reached 100 degrees in May here in Texas, I usually put the felts up in April and it's Panama time from then till late October . Makes the felts last longer, but means more wear on the Panama's :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner