Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fuzzy Green ADAM

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
To be sung to the tune of "My Sharona":

Oh, my little fuzzy one
My fuzzy one
When you gonna give me some
VI-CORONA!!!!!!

Yes, to all those who have been inquiring -- it's here! After I fished this one from the 'Bay, it wasn't completely clear to me whether it was something I would wear, or something I would hang from my car mirror...:eek:

All that being said, it certainly arrived in "fuzzy" condition -- but I think I have been able to tame the beast! This is an ADAM DeLuxe Quality "Genuine Vicorona". I have absolutely no clue what "Vicorona" is all about. The logos on the liner and sweat are virtually identical to those on one of my ADAM Executive Quality Triports (the Triport has "Eva-Shape" at the front of the sweat and a standard bow at the back, whereas the DeLuxe has "Pliant-eze" at the front of the sweat, and has the looped bow at the back). In any event, they appear to be from the same general time period. The Executive Quality is priced at $7.50, and the DeLuxe is priced at $10.00. So, it looks like "DeLuxe" may have been the quality level above "Executive" at the time.

I gave this lid a serious brushing today, which really did help the look. The edge of the brim remains a bit fuzzy, and it would be interesting to know whether or not a light pouncing might help to even this out a bit. Anyone with suggestions, please let me know.

As advertised, the hat has a few moth divots, which are generally well-concealed, given the long-hair finish. Overall, I'd have to say that the hat really is in extremely nice condition. The liner's oil silk protector is still intact. The green ribbon looks very sharp against the lighter green felt. The open crown height is right around 6", and the brim is 3" wide. I did a quick center dent crease for the photos.

So, for your viewing pleasure...

OpenCrown-29.jpg

Liner-29.jpg

Tag.jpg

ADAMsweat.jpg

DeLuxeSweat.jpg

Pliant-eze.jpg

Top.jpg

Ribbon-3.jpg

Left-12.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Jimmy:

"Vicorona" may be referring to vicuña felt from the wool of the Vicuña, a South American camelid related to the llama. Vicuña wool was and is very, very expensive, so if your hat's felt contains any, it's probably a very small amount.

Then again, it's quite possible that the hat doesn't have any vicuña felt at all -- just a texture and finish that are reminiscent of the stuff.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Excuse me, sir -- is that a Tiki in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? :eek: :eek: :eek:

OK, you guys -- for better or for worse, I accept the challenge. Don't know what the appropriate setting for this lid might be (OK, I'm sure everyone can think of one in particular :eek:) -- but here it is as party sombrero...:D

GreenAdam1.jpg

GreenAdam2-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

CRH

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
OK, you guys -- for better or for worse, I accept the challenge. Don't know what the appropriate setting for this lid might be (OK, I'm sure everyone can think of one in particular :eek:) -- but here it is as party sombrero...:D

Nice try on the shadow but it turned out.....drum roll - ching!, it turned out a little fuzzy! lol.

:eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
To borrow a riff from Dieter on Saturday Night Live...

I find this hat repugnant -- yet, somehow, strangely delicious...:D

Cheers,
JtL

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is one that needs a bit of modification. Send that sucker in for a brim binding. With that long fuzziness on the brim, you remind me of the Karate Kid and his Halloween costume.
compareishon.jpg

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I saw one similar to that at an Antique show last year. It was my size too, but they wanted $60 for it and I knew I wouldn't wear it so I passed on it. But they are an interesting style. I like the color of yours. If the edge of the brim is too fuzzy for your liking, you might try one on those fabric pill shavers you use to get the the little nits and fuzzies out of wool sweaters and such. Even though you might never wear it, it's still a fun hat to have and show.

fedoralover

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
Seriously ... cut the brim down to a 2 1/2 inch width. That will improve it to no end.

That would look really good. I Don't know if I could ever take a blade to a hat like that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR