Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G & B Raider Anybody?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
This site is not "really dedicated to the A-2'. The Raider jacket actually became popular in the late 70s and early 80s, and is kind of a faux-vintage style... not that there's anything wrong with that. It's derived from the classic M-422A/G-1 Navy jacket, and is no doubt comfortable and built to last.

I have two G&B goatskin jackets - 9-1/2 and 6 years old. They show practically no wear: the older one (a black Civil A-2) has only begun to fade a bit on the windflap and epaulettes. I don't know if G&B's cowhide has as tough a finish - it probably does - but I wouldn't kid myself that it's going to age without a lot of wearing.

(And I understand where you're coming from: I had a US Authentic horsehide A-2 for several years... and it was a very good jacket, but never fit quite right and was only a decent repro at best. I recently sold it to move up to a Good Wear... if John ever starts accepting new orders!)

Flyderf

New in Town
Gibson & Barnes is an awesome manufacturer. I have 3 of their jackets, Expedition, Mark 41 A2, and the AN-J-3. All of those jackets are in goatskin. G&B uses a vat dyed system so the color permeates the hide all the way through. That is why they will never really fade, patina, or have the color wear off in the high spots. They do offer a hide that is veg tanned, and that is only offered on the Mark 31 A2 reproduction.

I was eying that same jacket, the raider. Reading the description of the jacket and knowing "nappa" cowhide is usually chromium tanned. The color will wear off as the jacket ages. I would call them and get a sample of the leather sent out. They are very good about that. Their customer service is top notch. I would never hesitate to purchase one their products.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It's the jacket Macgyver wears in that awful cult TV series from the 1980's. Don't let that put you off. Does Kevin Costner also wear one in Field of Dreams? Anyhow it's a nice alternative to the A2. I like the lack of cargo pockets. I thought of getting one in goat and putting the Macgyver references out of my mind. I think the design is originally 1950's. They have been made by various companies but G&B's stuff is fantastic quality - I have 2 of theirs.

The fit is like an A2 and the lining is a great poly twill that breathes and is super tough.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
It's the jacket Macgyver wears in that awful cult TV series from the 1980's. Don't let that put you off. Does Kevin Costner also wear one in Field of Dreams? Anyhow it's a nice alternative to the A2. I like the lack of cargo pockets. I thought of getting one in goat and putting the Macgyver references out of my mind. I think the design is originally 1950's. They have been made by various companies but G&B's stuff is fantastic quality - I have 2 of theirs.

The fit is like an A2 and the lining is a great poly twill that breathes and is super tough.

MacGyver rocked!

Windward

Practically Family
Oh, BTW, does anybody have pix of themselves wearing a Raider?
Thanks,
Lenny

Hi Lenny - I assume that the Raider will look very similiar to AERO's Windward jacket ... just with knits instead of leather waistband/cuffs.

2-vintagebrown_closed.jpg

Philalethes

A-List Customer

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Great idea to combine the A-2 and the G-1, and a nice looking jacket.

I wouldn't mind the addition of a G-1 style windflap and pocket, although I think it is nice as is.

But why doesn't it have real wool knits? I think that a $350-400 jacket should include real wool knits.
You would think. I am sure they will put them on for you, for an additional 35.00. I would do away with the side entry pocket. Averix does a great job of hiding them behind the flap pockets, maybe that would be work. The "in your face" side openings are extreme. But, I do love the jacket. Brown cowhide, kahki stitching, no side pockets, berry knits (they don't have, but would look awesome)......

ron521

One of the Regulars
Still, no one has commented on how the Raider fits. I used to own an Expedition (G&B's "Indiana Jones" jacket), and did not like the way the shoulder seams fell off my own shoulders, although the cuffs ended up in the right place. It was as if the shoulders were intentionally cut wider, and sleeves cut correspondingly shorter.
I'm kind of hoping that the Raider has the trimmer fit of a G1, instead of the fuller cut of an A2, but want to hear from someone who actually owns one.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Still, no one has commented on how the Raider fits. I used to own an Expedition (G&B's "Indiana Jones" jacket), and did not like the way the shoulder seams fell off my own shoulders, although the cuffs ended up in the right place. It was as if the shoulders were intentionally cut wider, and sleeves cut correspondingly shorter.
I'm kind of hoping that the Raider has the trimmer fit of a G1, instead of the fuller cut of an A2, but want to hear from someone who actually owns one.

I just got one in black goat. Awesome - to me it's better looking than the A2 design. But I just don't like cargo pockets or epaulettes.

Fit - will depend on your build. The Indy jacket is meant to fall over your shoulders. That's integral to the look of the film jacket.

The Raider on me at 6 feet 2 and 185 pounds fits well, it's not fitted, it's a little roomy but not loose. I have a 42T. I might have gotten away with a 42 reg, not sure. Shoulders are square and wide. Sleeve is 26 inches. Back length 27 inches. G&B tell me their G1, A2 and Raider are all cut to the same specs.

How it fits will depend on your torso length, your height and weight so anything I say about fit on me may not apply to you.

You also need to wear the thing for several weeks before it settles into your shape. This chanegs the whole look again.

Last edited:

J.W.

A-List Customer
Gentlemen, we need pictures in this thread! I'm very interested in a Raider in (dark brown) Goatskin myself and would love to see someone actually wearing it, maybe even a jacket that has already seen some wear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, we need pictures in this thread! I'm very interested in a Raider in (dark brown) Goatskin myself and would love to see someone actually wearing it, maybe even a jacket that has already seen some wear.

You can't go wrong with this one. A great design, terrific leather and superb build. You can pass this one onto your kids.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace