Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gabardine Fabric...Who carries the good stuff?

sartana

New in Town
I want to have some high waisted slacks made (1940's early 50's style). Half the battle seems to be finding the right fabric. I like heavy gabardine. My vintage slacks are made from wonderful, heavy weight, gabardine. Is that even available anymore? I find lighter stuff, but I believe my vintage pants to be of heaver weight. I am not a tailor by any means, but I seem to recall being told that mine are 12-15oz. Does that sound right? Where does one get that sort of fabric? Or, is it truly 'gone from this world'?

Thanks!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Check out this thread about sourcing modern equivalents of vintage fabrics.

Specifically with regard to the type of gabardine you want, the answer is both "yes" and "no."

I've yet to come across a a modern source of rayon/wool blend gabardines that are sufficiently heavy enough to make suits, slacks, or event sport shirts. However, for 100% wool gabs, there are actually a couple of good sources that sell 12-13 ounce gabardines. The issues is really more about cost. None of the sources I've find are even in the realm of cheap. If you are willing to pay in the range of $100 per yard, there are multiple English mills that produce really great gabs in heavy weights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass