Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GABARDINE SHIRTS

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi all-
Belly Tank here- as it says, I'm new in this town but but fortunately I'm old in a lot of others.
I'm in the throws of getting some '40s style Gab flap-pocket shirts sampled with a view to a small-ish production in the near future.
They will initially be the neck-loop style, without a collar stand(the shirt you wear a tie with has a collar stand)- the top button fastens with a small loop. Of course, there will be flapped but buttonless chest pockets, a stylish '40s collar, a back yoke with gathering or a back box pleat and other minor period detailing. These shirts will be in a wool gabardine twill just like the genuine article. Hopefully it will all come together without a hitch- sourcing the correct fabric may be problamatic.
If this all comes together and works out, I might do some collar stand styles and Rayon Gab too.
I would like to gauge interest on this forum because I believe the menbers here have an understanding of vintage style.
What better shirt could you have to wear with your nice Fedora and leather jacket? Classic '40s smart casual I say...
Please post a reply or contact me via email with any queries or suggestions.
BTank. ashford@mail-telia.dk

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hi David-
I just wrote a really long response but got kicked out when I submitted it...

Here's the basics again-
price will remain undetermined until the product is somthing I'm happy with- all details must be perfect. I've seen fabric swatches and thy're really nice.
I can tell you that repros of WW2 Officers shirts run $85-$100+, are not that great and are made in high volume. You can expect to pay the cost of a really nice shirt that you're impressed with because, believe me you will be! They'll be worth it.
My reason for starting this exercise is completely selfish but my justification is benevolent- you just can't get a nice Gab shirt and I love 'em and want some- might as well share, huh?
I'll keep you all posted as things progress.
Thanks for your interest- check out the attached detail shot-
BellyTank(Martin)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well hello there Belly Tank. New to the lounge eh? Welcome!

I have lots of these shirts. Originals and in a large size. I have an original Bing Crosby shirt as well! That's what it says on the label.

Have you thought of doing two toned shirts? Seeing I have enough solids, some two tonse would be swell! Like the ones you see in the 1989 film Tucker, a man and his dream.

I would like a few good repops my self if they are of something I don't have.

I would kill for a nice dark red gab shirt with gray front panles with dark read pockets and flaps! Sharp as a tack man!

I have been collecting vintage since 1996 and know the styles very well. Lots of my friends are into the 40's and 50's swing and rockabilly seen as well. If you need any help designing any thing, I'm an artist and would be happy to help out.

Colors are very important as well as fabric quality! You must have the right colors to pull it off as well.

Any way, I'll be watching what you come out with and I'll be here if you need any thing!

Your vintage friend,

Wild Root.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hey Root, thanks for the offers of help-
maybe you could mail me some pics of your shirts to add to my resources- the more variety of material I have, then the better impression my guy can get of the period styling. Why don't you go ahead and send me some kool color samples too- send me some swatches from Photoshop if you like.
I've spent half my life in the rag trade, so I have onboard a certain smug confidence in what I'm doing- and the color thing- I think I got that pretty much down too.....
I dig the maroon and gray panelled shirt-
I also like coffee and cream but maybe in a zipper jacket....
So... what kind of artist are you Mr. Root?
My email address is in the original post, above.
-Mr. Tank.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I thought Captain Archer looked pretty suave in his Gab shirt and poorboy cap.

240x320.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
I have a friend that has some really cool vintage that would be so sweet to copy. I'll call him and see if I can talk him into letting me take some photos of his stuff.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, they were just drawn quickly and couldn't do too many close details. But, yes if they were ever made, they would have the correct button holes. But, I'm glad you liked;)

Root.

matei

One Too Many
Shirts in "Man Who Wasn't There"?

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to find a semi-casual button-down shirt, like the ones Billy Bob Thornton was wearing in "The Man Who Wasn't There"?

I don't know what that style is called... any help appreciated!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
its difficult to tell whether the clothes in that movie are original or not, but he is wearing 40s gabardine shirts, very common in america in the 30s - 50s. the 40s ones have longer pointier collars than the 50s ones. they nearly always feature pocket flaps and often have saddle stitch decoration around the pocket flaps and collar edge. Rockit stores in london usually have them in stock, although they're very pricey. not difficult to find though, and they crop up fairly often on that famous auction site.

matei

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
Rockit stores in london usually have them in stock, although they're very pricey.

Rockit stores? Is there one in Camden? I'm not familiar with the name...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore