Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gardens vegetable, flower or other?

rumblefish

One Too Many
The peach and apricot require different care believe it or not. A friend of mine killed the apricot by using suphur spray or copper spray on it. I forget which. :eusa_doh:

You mean to tell me you soiled good tequila by mixing it with grapefruit juice?!:eek::eek:
:p

Yup Sulfur, I have written in large letters on my spray chart "NO SULFUR ON APRICOTS". Only captan or copper, but not too much copper because it can build in the soil below and kill earthworms. So I've read.

Yup Sulfur, I have written in large letters on my spray chart "NO SULFUR ON APRICOTS". Only captan or copper, but not too much copper because it can build in the soil below and kill earthworms. So I've read.

The sulphur burned the heck out of his tree. The leaves were crispy. :eusa_doh:
I have never had a problem with Liquicop. The earthworms are still there after years. :p
You are going to be using plenty of it there where you are. The damp environment is a big problem here too. The wet weather really messed my nectarine/peach tree---even after many applications of copper spray. My nursery guy tells me that you should double the amount called for because the companies are a bit too lean on the recipe. Great---now he tells me. :eusa_doh:
I've had to feed the heck out of it and foilar feed it on top of that to get it to develop new clean leaves. Then again, I used a gallon of VF11 foilar feeding the whole backyard---at the one ounce per gallon setting. :D
The garlic and tomatoes look happy. :p

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
No snow after all, thank goodness. Unfortunately the temps dropped down to 22F last night and killed half of my seedlings. They were all covered, but the cold was just too much. I really shouldn't put anything into the garden beds until at least Mother's Day each year.

Maybe I'll move 2 hours west to Sac-town. Far more temperate.

Tatum

Practically Family
I need to get some tips from Colonel! I am determined to overcome my black thumb this year.

This week, I planted a night blooming jasmine, blueberry bush, strawberry plant and a couple of hydrangeas. I have had going a blackberry bush and various herbs, as well as a little tea rose that seems to be thriving.

Florida can be tough for gardening!

No snow after all, thank goodness. Unfortunately the temps dropped down to 22F last night and killed half of my seedlings. They were all covered, but the cold was just too much. I really shouldn't put anything into the garden beds until at least Mother's Day each year.

Maybe I'll move 2 hours west to Sac-town. Far more temperate.

Normally I put off planting anything here until after Mother's Day as well. However, I jumped the gun this year and planted tomatoes a few weeks ago. They are doing well but not growing very fast. [huh]
Now that it is may I am going to put in the bush beans and maybe some Swiss Chard---of course you can put Swiss Chard in in winter too here. :p

Tatum

Practically Family
:rofl: That was sort of my thought when I read it. :p

Hehe, I see your point. :)

It can be tricky because there are so many things I want to grow that don't do well here. Our spring, at least where I am in SWFL, is nonexistent. It's been summer for quite a while already! Makes for weird seasons. Also, it seems that the only things available at the local nurseries is landscaping stuff. I'm all for a pretty yard, but honestly, I'm sick to death of palms and grasses. I want hydrangeas, and roses and herbs and veggies. The sun beats them to death.

Hehe, I see your point. :)

It can be tricky because there are so many things I want to grow that don't do well here. Our spring, at least where I am in SWFL, is nonexistent. It's been summer for quite a while already! Makes for weird seasons. Also, it seems that the only things available at the local nurseries is landscaping stuff. I'm all for a pretty yard, but honestly, I'm sick to death of palms and grasses. I want hydrangeas, and roses and herbs and veggies. The sun beats them to death.

Ah, now that you put it that way, you need to get your plants through the mail. There are tons of catalogs that have plants that will do well in your area. For one---www.vintagegardens.com . They have both roses and hydrangeas. I visit them every year in May when they have their open garden days. :D

Tatum

Practically Family
Ah, now that you put it that way, you need to get your plants through the mail. There are tons of catalogs that have plants that will do well in your area. For one---www.vintagegardens.com . They have both roses and hydrangeas. I visit them every year in May when they have their open garden days. :D

I have considered that, and thanks for the link! I hadn't run across that one yet... I know hydrangeas are a serious challenge here, as the sun wilts them like mad, but I am ready to overcome it. They are my absolute favorite.

I live in a historic neighborhood, so I feel that a vintage yard would be really stunning. Most of my neighbors have the typical Florida yard, which frankly, I don't find all that attractive. I do have a couple of spectacular cacti (one is night-flowering right now, actually) but otherwise I want a pretty, "Southern" yard or a crazy cottage garden.

I have considered that, and thanks for the link! I hadn't run across that one yet... I know hydrangeas are a serious challenge here, as the sun wilts them like mad, but I am ready to overcome it. They are my absolute favorite.

I live in a historic neighborhood, so I feel that a vintage yard would be really stunning. Most of my neighbors have the typical Florida yard, which frankly, I don't find all that attractive. I do have a couple of spectacular cacti (one is night-flowering right now, actually) but otherwise I want a pretty, "Southern" yard or a crazy cottage garden.

Here is a sneaky way to beat the heat and cold:
http://www.greenasitgets.com/catalog/cloud-cover-1-quart-rtu.htm

It has saved many a plant here from heat and cold. :p

Thanks, James! Very neat. How do you use it, just spray it on?

Yes, you just spray it on and the polymer specifically designed for plants keeps the plants cool in the heat and prevents water loss through the foilage.

Not really related to the garden but it was in the yard, I added a 100 pounds of sand to the sons' sandbox and another 650 pounds to the patio. :p
I also have to find some more bird netting to keep the birds and squirrels(furry tailed rats) from stealing all of my grape crop like they did last year.:rolleyes::eusa_doh:
I already put it on the Damson tree so that I can get more than one of those this year. :rolleyes:

rumblefish

One Too Many
I also have to find some more bird netting to keep the birds and squirrels(furry tailed rats) from stealing all of my grape crop like they did last year.:rolleyes::eusa_doh:

I hear ya.
I'm about to put the netting over the blueberies- or I can kiss them all goodbye.:mad:

Meanwhile the veg garden is all in. This year I'm trying out the purple kohlrabis.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a good size vegetable garden. We've been eating peas, cabbage, lettuce, onions, and turnip greens out of the garden already this year. I have squash and tomatoes blooming, and the beans and okra are all up and doing well.

The corn is another story. I've planted twice and the #$%& crows have all but destroyed it all. They pull up the corn just after it's sprouted and out of the ground to eat the seed. I've had "bird problems" before, but this year is especially bad. I despise those worthless birds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav