Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Nick D, Nov 23, 2008.

1. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

yes, i did make a bi-swing pattern (for the previous jacket) based on the one on this jacket:

[​IMG]

however, it's simpler than you might think as it still follows the basic silhouette of a plain back, just adds a sort of accordion-like 'hinge'.
    there's an even simpler way of doing it with just one piece if you want, which is what this Palm Beach jacket has:

[​IMG]

2. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Did you take any photos of your jacket while you were working on it? I never had the chance yet to take a close look at the inner workings of a bi-swing back. The only one I have is fully lined and I certainly wouldn't want to take out the lining just to look at the construction. :eeek:

3. herringbonekid

no i didn't, but that jacket is unlined so i can take a photo of the workings. ;)

4. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Fantastic idea! :D

5. herringbonekid

Nick and Qirrel, do you think it's time to start a separate thread for tailoring techniques / construction where we could talk about the finer details rather than going into it on this one ?
    ...as it may get way off track from 'what we've made'. you could put a photo up of any garment and detail (not just your own) to discuss the way it was made.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  6. Qirrel

Qirrel Practically Family

^ I agree.

Here is the workings of a shoulder pleated coat, Mario. Look at drawing to the right in the diagram. When the cloth is folded along the dotted line, the pleat is formed, and the jacket can be sewn up as usual.

[​IMG]

7. Nick D

Nick D Call Me a Cab

Yes, I agree also. It would help to be able to discuss some of these details in preparation for future projects, too.

8. herringbonekid

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  9. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

That's a wondeful idea!

10. Swing Motorman

Swing Motorman One of the Regulars

Toronto Transit Commission repro uniform

I did it again, and put together a "close enough for volunteer work" public transit uniform. This time, I went for modern-day Toronto, Canada. They've got a flashy cap badge, and my, they do love their little red accents.

The whole thing, as best I could research it:
    [​IMG]

The stars of the show: a new name badge, and a new band and cap badge:
    [​IMG]

How it works: Those holes in the name plate are to allow me to pin other job names overtop of the standard "operator" text. Also, I've done a bunch of cap badges with this standard paperclip-tab-soldered-to-safety-pin attachment. With the clip tab through a grommet on the cap, it all stays in place very well.
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to get to one of the many museums that own retired TTC streetcars! And finish my next project: Connestoga Traction Co, of Lancaster County, PA.

-Steven

PeterB likes this.
  11. herringbonekid

Mario, i seem to be completely incapable of taking decent self-timed photos recently. i blame the camera.
    i resorted to the mirror for this one. it's so bad it's almost good:

[​IMG]

can hardly see the suit, but it'll have to do for now. ;)

PeterB likes this.
  12. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

Haha yes. Just tell you were goin for a mysterious film noir mood in the picture. Suit looks great on you. One question though: Is the jacket very very short? It look like it covers only half of your back.

13. herringbonekid

all my jackets are on the short side, but not really short. base of collar to hem on that one is 30". (that isn't the crotch of the trousers you can see... my legs aren't that short).

this 30s jacket....

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...-1930s-Suits&p=1420271&viewfull=1#post1420271

....is actually an inch shorter than the Conrad, but looks longer in the photo. as they say in the U.S; go figure.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  14. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

yes. I thought it was the angle. my shorter jackets are even 29 inch and I am quite tall. I always wonder if they are tooo short. (yes, we had threads about it somewhere)

15. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Never mind. I'm pretty good at taking bad photos of myself. Of course I also blame the camera. ;)

I really like how the suit looks on you. The jacket is on the short side but that's actually how I like them and this one surely doesn't look too short.
    Well, great job on that suit. I'd be green with envy if that wasn't to exhausting at the moment. Maybe later... ;)

16. Fly Boy

Fly Boy One of the Regulars

Such a shame - Which patterns did you use?

17. Hepville

Hepville One of the Regulars

My first short sleeved shirt for this season:
    Cotton fabric, mother of pearl buttons, felled seams, slitted sides and a two piece back yoke.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

Coming along nicely! :eusa_clap :)

19. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Using this...

[​IMG]

...I made this...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

...using leftover fabric from this...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  20. Gin&Tonics

Gin&Tonics Practically Family

Very nice, shangas! I do like that fabric.

I'm a bit scarce currently because I'm in a faraway land on a semi secret mission, but I will fill in when I return. Cheers!