Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Not happy with the results of my first waistcoat back (what with having to alter it, and it being handstitched and all that), I ripped it off and started again.

I found some nice blue fabric at the local thrift-shop, I cut out a new double backing, and machine-sewed the whole thing together:

IMG_1054.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks.

I originally used dark grey cloth to make a backing...

IMG_1014.jpg

But the results were hardly impressive, as you can see.

Plus I had to alter it and fix it...yeah it wasn't cool.

I found some nice, sky-blue cloth at the local thrift-store. The original silk backing for this coat was sky-blue. So I figured I may as well buy it and use it. I used a different approach to making this backing, and I made it a bit larger than the previous one, so that it would fit correctly the first time.

I used my grandmother's 1950 Singer 99k sewing-machine to do the fiddly work this time (previously I sewed it all by hand, because I didn't have the availability of the Singer at the time). The stitch-lines are straight enough that nobody would notice unless they were deliberately looking for wonky stitches. The stitches across the shoulders are nice and straight, and down the sides and along the seams and neck...I'm very pleased with the results.

The only thing I really need to do is iron out the wrinkles, but other than that, I think I did a pretty damn good job!

Oh, and for purposes of understanding, this is the waistcoat's original, blue silk backing which was the impetus for this little adventure:

IMG_1050.jpg

Why I ripped it off to replace it was because of these stains:

IMG_1051.jpg

IMG_1052.jpg

And this is the new backing:

IMG_1054.jpg

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if I'll ever become a real tailor, but I am proud of this. I think gran would be too. It was the machine which she earned all her money on, which I made that backing with.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Nothing fancy, but I made myself a pair of white cotton braces. 1.1/4-inch width.

I had another pair of braces. The cloth was getting all old and ripped (they were like that when I bought them). So I ripped off all the old cloth and the stitches. I saved the hardware (the leather, the button-tabs, the slide-clips), and cut some new cloth and sewed it all together.

Photos coming soon...

IMG_1126.jpg

This is a small project that I've been working on for about a week, while trying to familiarise myself with how to work my grandmother's old Singer.

Using the leftover fabric from what I cut the waistcoat-backing from, I made this little slip-cover for the bentwood case of my grandmother's sewing machine:

IMG_1129.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

It ain't perfect, but it's supposed to protect the wooden case from dust and scratches, so it'll probably look a lot dirtier and mussed up than this before very long.

I'm getting a LOT faster at working my gran's machine now. I can sew faster and I'm getting better and neater seams...I think!

IMG_1130.jpg

The tricky bit was doing the buttonholes. I flubbed it a couple of times, but I got there in the end:

IMG_1132.jpg

...Although, not without the sacrifice of a machine-needle!:

IMG_1133.jpg

I'm not entirely sure what happened, but the machine broke it into three pieces! It scared the crap out of me when it happened! But nothing's damaged (apart from the needle!) so there's no harm done.

I need to add the buttons, and then I'll sew on a small pouch for the key, and then it will be complete.

- NB - All the marks you see on the fabric is residual machine-oil. I thought I'd wiped it all off...apparently not!

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
When I was in Mexico City about 3 weeks ago I was able to pick up a piece of leather to try and put on a leather sweatband on a couple of Retro Sport Caps that I have. This is the first time I ever tried this, so let me know your thoughts.

DSC04536.jpg

DSC04537.jpg

I used my regular sewing machine and had no problems with it, even though it was a little difficult to sew around the curve on brim.

Chadster

New in Town
Nice Thread guys, I also sew a bit, did most if not all for the X and the kids over the last 30 years, I was taught by my mom and also was one of the first men to enrol in the home ec class for guys in my high school, anyway I am a big guy and trying to find cloths that fit right can prove to be a serious disappointment and have found a vest great vest pattern I am going to try, Simplicity 4975, just have to find the right material that will work for most of my wardrobe, my girlfriend thought it funny till I repaired her favorite slacks, now she loves the idea.. Chadster

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
_1000444.jpg

_1000445.jpg

_1000446.jpg

_1000442.jpg

_1000447.jpg

_1000451.jpg

_1000454.jpg

_1000526.jpg

just finished this cotton chambray shop/work action back jacket. the pockets are copied from a short vintage French one i wear around the house. the buttonholes are done on a Reece 101 machine; the industry standard for workwear. the internal parts - pocket stays, shoulder yoke and facing lining (hard to explain that one but there's no canvas) - are 'beetled' Holland chambray linen. vintage corozo buttons. vintage cinch buckle. the usual.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Very nice jacket. Love the curved yoke. But, about the buttonholes, why not make the ends parallel and make a bar tack, instead of crossing them over?

the Reece 101 does two types of keyhole shape; a bar-tacked end or a fish-tale end which is what you see here. i went for the fish-tale because looking at 40s English workwear jackets... that's what they have. i'm trad like that. ;)

Bugsy

One Too Many
_1000444.jpg

_1000445.jpg

_1000446.jpg

_1000442.jpg

_1000447.jpg

_1000451.jpg

_1000454.jpg

_1000526.jpg

just finished this cotton chambray shop/work action back jacket. The pockets are copied from a short vintage french one i wear around the house. The buttonholes are done on a reece 101 machine; the industry standard for workwear. The internal parts - pocket stays, shoulder yoke and facing lining (hard to explain that one but there's no canvas) - are 'beetled' holland chambray linen. Vintage corozo buttons. Vintage cinch buckle. The usual.

amazing and beautifully done!!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
no i've never seen it done on a jacket. it's basically a waistcoat style cinch... but on a jacket. when Ralph Lauren rips that off remember where you saw it first !

I remember seeing that style of belt on a vintage sports coat several years ago on EBay. I think I saved a pic of it, will see if I can't find it and post it up when I get back home tomorrow.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember seeing that style of belt on a vintage sports coat several years ago on EBay. I think I saved a pic of it, will see if I can't find it and post it up when I get back home tomorrow.

It's on the Lounge somewhere. I remember it.

HBK, your jacket is amazing. I want one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto