Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

Gairdner

New in Town
Here's one of a few leather belts I have made - for the wife of a very good friend. Gratis, naturallly.

TillyBelt2_zps6ad66943.jpg

TillyBelt1.jpg

Made from 5mm thick English pit-tanned leather and 1 1/2" wide. It was dyed top side only with Fiebings Professional Walnut Oil Dye and their black Edge-Kote. Copper saddler's rivets and super strong, synthetic, dark brown tiger thread fully stitched through the leather loop. The entire belt was then subjected to several coats of Fiebings Resolene to seal in the sye and add some water resistance. The buckle is a vintage English-made solid brass Buxton type from the 70's. I also included a solid brass slide just in case the belt end hung inconveniently between belt loops.

I've just ordered a very nice looking piece of 6mm thick Dark Brown veg tanned Buffalo hide from which I hope to make a 1 3/4" wide heavy belt for myself. I've had this huge and very heavy solid brass with steel prong buckle in just the right size and so far I hope to construct it with 70lb breaking strain artificial sinew and solid brass saddler's rivets which I managed to procure from the USA.

Lastly but by no means least, I promised my daughter a nice red belt for her jeans with a shiny silver buckle so have ordered some dyed through leather today and just have to get a 1" nickel roller buckle sorted then I'll be good to go. Of course, I'll make the bairn's one first. Honest.....

Hope you like it,
Graeme :)

Feraud

Bartender
Here's one of a few leather belts I have made - for the wife of a very good friend. Gratis, naturallly.

Made from 5mm thick English pit-tanned leather and 1 1/2" wide. It was dyed top side only with Fiebings Professional Walnut Oil Dye and their black Edge-Kote. Copper saddler's rivets and super strong, synthetic, dark brown tiger thread fully stitched through the leather loop. The entire belt was then subjected to several coats of Fiebings Resolene to seal in the sye and add some water resistance. The buckle is a vintage English-made solid brass Buxton type from the 70's. I also included a solid brass slide just in case the belt end hung inconveniently between belt loops.

I've just ordered a very nice looking piece of 6mm thick Dark Brown veg tanned Buffalo hide from which I hope to make a 1 3/4" wide heavy belt for myself. I've had this huge and very heavy solid brass with steel prong buckle in just the right size and so far I hope to construct it with 70lb breaking strain artificial sinew and solid brass saddler's rivets which I managed to procure from the USA.

Lastly but by no means least, I promised my daughter a nice red belt for her jeans with a shiny silver buckle so have ordered some dyed through leather today and just have to get a 1" nickel roller buckle sorted then I'll be good to go. Of course, I'll make the bairn's one first. Honest.....

Hope you like it,
Graeme :)

Love it! Great job on the belt. It will last forever.

Trousers, MkI. Heavy chocolate 100% cotton drill, approximately the same weight as found in British military gear 1940s-50s. Cotton pocketing and waistband liner. Vintage composite buttons. I used a mixture of Poulin, CPG and MTOC drafts/instructions with some modifications to the basic draft to suit my design. Inspiration was Trousers, Airman's, Khaki Drill, 1950 Pattern, a less common variant on the well known Trousers, Khaki Drill, 1950 Pattern. I made them too long for myself just in case they turned out good enough to sell. Anyone 30 waist, 30 inseam, who's interested please PM.

TinyPipeDrillTrousers4.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers5.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers6.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers7.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers8.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers9.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers10.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers11.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers12.jpg TinyPipeDrillTrousers13.jpg

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Good work. Is it a kind of "milk chocolate" color, or did the photos just turn out a bit bright?

Regarding length... full cuffs should do the trick.

Metatron

One Too Many
They look good Baron. Similar double pleated, fob pocketed setup to my 1950s Burton trousers.
Even though they are too long for you, I can see them looking good with workwear style turn ups.
I bought all my swedish work trousers a bit too long for this purpose.

Edit: Ah Fastuni beat me to it.

Thanks for the kind comments chaps. I suspect the pocket in your Burton's troos will be set into the waistband rather than cut into the pleats?

attachment.php

I'll get some pics of the other pair (with turnups and slightly different pocket arrangement) and we can agree to disagree.;) My first pair have now been relegated to gardening trousers; they are so inferior to these it's not even funny, and are not fit for public consumption.shakeshead

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
I did not see your post about them looking better without cuffs. Not contesting it. But post away by all means!
Yes, it's in the waistband.

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
BK: I like the wide waistband. I'm guessing that was a specific feature of the military trouser. One of my basic trouser patterns (that has been copied by my trouser make over many years) has that width of waistband: I'm guessing the original trouser-maker was similarly inspired by military designs of the period.

The width is similar to the military troos, yes. The 1950/52 pattern trousers are the cross-over belt type so I've not copied directly. While it's (cross-over belts) a nice feature, it's not really suitable for dressier trousers. My draft calls for a waistband about half this width which didn't cut the mustard on one of my early prototypes.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The 1950/52 pattern trousers are the cross-over belt type so I've not copied directly. While it's (cross-over belts) a nice feature, it's not really suitable for dressier trousers.

Whilst not suitable for dressier trousers, the cross over belt would look splendid on white cotton casual summer trousers (complete with white plimsoles, aertex shirt, neckerchief and yacht).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner