Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
nice one Nick.

i've just finished this unlined coat. it's made from heavy vintage French linen which was white, but it looked too much like a lab coat when it was finished (as i guessed it might) so i dyed it grey.
i'm not really sure how practical it is since it's not waterproof. i picture wearing it on cool grey summer days with linen trousers.... kind of a 'beach duster'. ;)

_1020644_zps982bb92d.jpg

_1020649_zpsf83a7361.jpg

_1020645_zps9e3c5be9.jpg

_1020646_zps59bc44e1.jpg

_1020647_zpsec18b416.jpg

_1020650_zpsf127d178.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
thanks !

Is there no waterproof spray or liquid to smother on it?

there might be but i wouldn't want to risk altering the surface appearance.

p.s. the vintage buckle originally had leather on it, but as it was being dyed the leather fell off exposing the painted metal underneath. i quite like the fact that the coat looks about a hundred years old even though it's just finished. :D

couple more showing it closed at the top:

_1020652_zps6965f50c.jpg

_1020651_zps267435a3.jpg

Last edited:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I would recommend getting some of the waterproofing spray and trying it on a piece of spare fabric. I used some years ago on a canvas smock and it didn't really change the appearance.

DamianM

Vendor
You have to dye cotton. You can find the dyes at your local craft store. Although you can just go out and find color cotton better'

Here another one made from late 1920s woven silk brocade in an Egyptian revival pattern

il_570xN.607314863_bqho.jpg

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
also, just finished these 11" wide trousers; the first wide legged trousers i've made in 3 and a half years (which was when my early 20s trouser phase began).
these are for summer wear and are made from a fairly lightweight wool/linen blend mini-herringbone fabric. i don't know the age of this fabric. it's probably recent but looks vintage enough.

_1020653_zps06cf9bbe.jpg

_1020654_zpsdba931e9.jpg

_1020655_zps9c33378a.jpg

_1020656_zps84179f39.jpg

they have the rear yoke we were talking about in the German suits thread, and it was actually the result of a mistake; i hadn't used the pattern in so long that i forgot it wasn't very high backed and cut it out without checking. only option was to add the yoke extension to get the height i wanted.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've been thinking of getting a sewing machine to make neckties and other stuff with. Does anyone know a cheap, basic, sewing machine which is good? I was thinking of getting one for around $100. I was looking at this model, if anyone has it, do you know if it is any good?

Given the flavour of the forum, I'm surprised you didn't want to chase a vintage or antique sewing machine. Old fashioned Singers are bulletproof. And will certainly last longer than what you have there. Their features may be a bit limited, but they'll never break down.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I like the look as well, but when it's really hot I tend to prefer a lower back and a belt.

They are for summer in England: it never seems to get really hot.

I would also argue that side adjusters are better than either a belt or braces for the summer.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
They are for summer in England: it never seems to get really hot.

I would also argue that side adjusters are better than either a belt or braces for the summer.

Well, why bother with linen then? A nice 18 oz. flannel should suffice, shouldn't it? ;) Can you imagine that when I was in London in June 1989 or 1988 we had nine sunny days over 25°C out of ten?

Of course, you are right with the side adjusters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy