Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Rudie, sounds like they turned out ok !

here's some shots of the linens on:

_1020676_zpse472d24c.jpg

_1020680_zpsf54f90b9.jpg

_1020681_zpsaba6c8c3.jpg

bombin

Familiar Face
if you're in need of patterns then you can either take apart a moth-damaged garment and draw around it (as i did) or draft one from an old tailoring book.
in either case, you'll probably need to fine tune the pattern to fit your own physique, as i've done with mine, or alter it to include the features you're after.

i would encourage people to create their own patterns rather than use pre-existing ones as it keeps things from getting all generic.

Do you (or others) have recommendations on tailoring books? I mean, which ones? And/or where do you find them?

Luxire

Vendor
HBK I would buy patterns of your stuff if you made them as I can not afford your actual tailoring as much as I would like to.

CPDV: Got your PM, cannot reply to it as your mailbox is full. Sorry for the message here, could not think of a good way of getting back to you.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I received this photo by email today, from someone I hadn't seen since the 1980s. It's me wearing a pink polka dot shirt that I made in 1985:

1985crop_zpsa0e97d10.jpg

It doesn't look too bad.

(P.S. I'm not posting the entire photo - I look bloody awful)

Ron Casella

New in Town
I don't know if this is appropriate to post here.So far everything in "show us what you've made" is clothing related. One of my favorite items to make and collect,besides old archtop jazz guitars are vintage styled ray guns. I have a facebook page Future Retro Armory that will show many pictures.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I don't know if this is appropriate to post here.So far everything in "show us what you've made" is clothing related. One of my favorite items to make and collect,besides old archtop jazz guitars are vintage styled ray guns. I have a facebook page Future Retro Armory that will show many pictures.

Welcome to the Lounge, Ron. Most of the things posted here are clothes, but not everything. Bring on the ray guns!

HeyMoe

Practically Family
Nothing super here but I "made" a pair of Goodwill shoes into spectators. Colors are creme and chocolate brown. I guess these might not fall under this thread as it is really more of a repurpose instead of something made.

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Hothir

New in Town
Well I had exciting news today. My first hat block arrived. I have always been interested in making all the items of clothing that I wear, and hats are no exception.

I had previously contacted Winchester felt and they sent a few sample felt bodies out to me so I had a nice charcoal grey rabbit fur body to work with.

I steamed it up and started working away at it. I managed to get it blocked in short order and spent a few hours pouncing it and dusting it off to see how it was coming etc... I probably made plenty of rookie mistakes and the finish is not as fine as I will eventually work up to, (on future hats) but it's as smooth as my Fed IV.

So I popped it off the block and put a sweatband and ribbon on it and called it a day. I don't have a brim flange so the brim is still pretty flat and stiff. They sent a western body so the felt is stiffer than their dress hat bodies which make the brim stiffer. but it's a good hat and will go head to head with my Akubra Fed IV for the beater/adventure hat spot so I can save my Vintage Ebay finds for dressier occasions.

I went for a basic double bow (been inspired by some of tonyb's work) and I threw in a spot of white ribbon in the knot to set it off.

It's my first fedora and I'm fairly happy with it. Sorry I don't have good pictures but I haven't figured out how to make a decent camera at home yet... ;) :p joking aside I hope that it is the first of several hats to come. I think I'm a little addicted. :)

nickmathis

New in Town
Dick Tracy watch (custom replica)

I also posted this elsewhere, but just saw found thread, so here's a quick pic!

I loved the Dick Tracy watch when I was a kid and always wanted one, so I built one myself. Here she is!

A full shot of my build:
attachment.php

My build (left) compared to the original movie prop (right):
attachment.php

nickmathis

New in Town
Thanks, Nick D.

The watch was 3D printed in wax and then lost wax cast into solid brass using a plater mold. This process was outsourced to Shapeways.com. I then smoothed out the case and electroplated it using the Caswell.com Copy-Chrome system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points