Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen, show us what you've made!

I can't agree. First, I can't get past the functional nature of the belts … a military/jungle function that simply is absent in "normal" pursuits. Secondly, while aesthetically pleasing to some extent, I find them cumbersome to use (they restrict access to the fly for those essential functions) and prefer a back belt or side cinchers. To each their own, I say.

No plimsoles, neither. Espadrilles for me, every day of the week.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just finished these houndstooth trousers. They are from the Eva Dress 1934 trouser pattern, which I haven't used in years. I've gone from a size 40 to 32, and at that size they're no longer the bags they are at the larger sizes, but still fairly wide and straight legged. 13.5" rise and a 13" fly opening, single rear pocket, 2" cuffs. I added pleats to the pattern, the original is flat fronted. The fly and pocket buttons are vintage.

SAM_4440_zps17c4132f.jpg

SAM_4441_zps0fec77c9.jpg

SAM_4434_zps16bedb73.jpg

SAM_4422_zps847d9fa1.jpg

SAM_4418_zps0d73b394.jpg

SAM_4419_zpsa5ae3ec4.jpg

SAM_4424_zps8beb6daa.jpg

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I'm on the hunt for 30-32oz blanket weight wool fabric for an over-ambitious project. Anyone have any ideas where I can find super thick wool like that? I googled, called, and didn't have much luck. I'd appreciate any leads.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I just finished these houndstooth trousers. They are from the Eva Dress 1934 trouser pattern, which I haven't used in years. I've gone from a size 40 to 32, and at that size they're no longer the bags they are at the larger sizes, but still fairly wide and straight legged. 13.5" rise and a 13" fly opening, single rear pocket, 2" cuffs. I added pleats to the pattern, the original is flat fronted. The fly and pocket buttons are vintage.

SAM_4440_zps17c4132f.jpg

SAM_4441_zps0fec77c9.jpg

SAM_4434_zps16bedb73.jpg

SAM_4422_zps847d9fa1.jpg

SAM_4418_zps0d73b394.jpg

SAM_4419_zpsa5ae3ec4.jpg

SAM_4424_zps8beb6daa.jpg

Wow. Amazing "cut" on those pants. I do purchase a lot of clothing items for my Husband. He is not one to ever wear flat front trousers, (only a blue jean) however, in as much as a few pair of pants over the years, only one pair that was from France, even comes close to the look and quality displayed in your workmanship. The detail is all the best. Do you ever "hire out" making a pair of these pants? To come even close, the wallet would take a seriously heavy blow, if you can find some pants with real solid material. Most of what is out there may feel nice and are all comfortable, and look nice....for one year or so if you really wear them in a short term rotation. These pants look like elegantly built (fabricated/made) to last a life time. Button up fly, brace buttons, high rise and more so in the back, pure beauty for pants. I'd be hunting an Alligator belt right now to have something nice to match for my Husband to wear. Seriously, do you do any work for others? I would accept that something like this is not going to be el" chepo!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
A little unconventional for this thread, but I'm thinking of making a patchwork quilt. I've never done this before. My brain tells me that it's very easy, although I am wondering just how true that is. I have no real 'plan'. Just a size of quilt that I want to make. I'm producing the first layer higgledy-piggledy out of The scraps of fabric that I have leftover from old sewing projects.

My partner in crime for this daring venture is my 1936 Singer V.S.:

IMG_2938_zps0a74b2bb.jpg

If anyone's done something like this before and has tips, please let me know. Total virgin with this. Never done it before. Making a quilt, I mean.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
A little unconventional for this thread, but I'm thinking of making a patchwork quilt. I've never done this before. My brain tells me that it's very easy, although I am wondering just how true that is. I have no real 'plan'. Just a size of quilt that I want to make. I'm producing the first layer higgledy-piggledy out of The scraps of fabric that I have leftover from old sewing projects.

My partner in crime for this daring venture is my 1936 Singer V.S.:

IMG_2938_zps0a74b2bb.jpg

If anyone's done something like this before and has tips, please let me know. Total virgin with this. Never done it before. Making a quilt, I mean.

Had a good friend that would enter and win some major quilt competitions. Asking her what she did to become good at making them, she replied she learned as she went, kept thinking of something no one else would be doing for a design or pattern. Her first year quilts would look better than anything I could do. It is a lot of work. But if you already can sew, I think you can do it fairly easy. Oh, I myself do not make quilts. The closest I get to a sewing needle has been when my Husband sews something by hand, a button or real small repair. He is out of commission at the moment, so......lol!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not following any particular pattern or anything. It's just a simple scraps-of-fabric patchwork quilt that I'm making. I found some old batting (I think that's what it is) in my cupboard that was leftover from...something. I don't even know what the hell it is. But it's some sort of quilting-stuffer.

My plan is to make a patchwork top-layer. And then sew that together with the batting, and then sew on an underlayer and make a quilt that way. So far, I've been running my Singer ragged.

I also used some of the scrap-fabric and some squidgey foam to make myself a new pin-cushion. I can't find my old one...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
My plan is to make a patchwork top-layer. And then sew that together with the batting, and then sew on an underlayer and make a quilt that way.

There are a huge number of books on quilting techniques, probably more than there are on garment sewing. Plus resources online. I strongly suggest you do just a bit of research into the basic processes (the actual quilting process), because what you describe doesn't sound like a quilt sandwich. Assemble the top layer. Sandwich the top, batting, and backing, then quilt. If you don't have enough of your might-be-batting, it should be fairly easy to find, in a variety of lofts, either off a roll or in a pre-sized package. If you're not making the quilt to one of the standard sizes, off the roll from a fabric or quilting store is probably your best bet. Good luck with the project, a good quilt is a wonderful thing.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I made myself a tie. I modeled it after bold look neckties. However, I messed up the point on the bottom, and I also accidentally drew on the wrong side. It's made from old sheets.
iiEp1Le.jpg

4ZUihoV.jpg

By the way, is there a way to make images smaller without having to edit them?

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
There are a huge number of books on quilting techniques, probably more than there are on garment sewing. Plus resources online. I strongly suggest you do just a bit of research into the basic processes (the actual quilting process), because what you describe doesn't sound like a quilt sandwich. Assemble the top layer. Sandwich the top, batting, and backing, then quilt. If you don't have enough of your might-be-batting, it should be fairly easy to find, in a variety of lofts, either off a roll or in a pre-sized package. If you're not making the quilt to one of the standard sizes, off the roll from a fabric or quilting store is probably your best bet. Good luck with the project, a good quilt is a wonderful thing.

I have done a fair bit of online reading and watched some videos. That's what got me interested in trying. I was looking for a fun, practical hobby to do which would make use of my stockpiles of thread and let me play with my sewing machines. And making quilts looked like the best solution.

I know the POINT of the act of quilting is to stop the batting or other stuffing/padding from shifting around and being spread unevenly. I haven't reached that stage yet. I'm far, FAR from it.

I've double-checked and it is batting. Fluffy and white. Although it's rather thin. I'm aiming to make a sort of 'summer-weight' sort of thing. It gets oppressively hot in Australia in summertime. And I figured I could ditch my heavy winter/9months-out-of-the-year duvet in favour of something lighter-weight like this. I know some of my relatives in Asia do it, and it seems like a good idea. An alternative might be to leave the batting out all together and just quilt together two layers of fabric, but I dunno if I'd like the results that would produce. I have read of people doing that, though...

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
You could try using a layer of fabric in between instead of batting, which would act more like an interfacing than batting, so the quilt would have a bit of body without the heat and thickness. Just a thought.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
You could try using a layer of fabric in between instead of batting, which would act more like an interfacing than batting, so the quilt would have a bit of body without the heat and thickness. Just a thought.

I've read of people doing that as well. And it's something that I might try. By my reckoning, it'd probably work better, given the results that I want to achieve.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I've been thinking of getting a sewing machine to make neckties and other stuff with. Does anyone know a cheap, basic, sewing machine which is good? I was thinking of getting one for around $100. I was looking at this model, if anyone has it, do you know if it is any good?

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I was looking at this model, if anyone has it, do you know if it is any good?

I am not familiar with that particular model because it wasn't sold in the UK, but the features that it has, seems just right for your needs. If you look at a finished seem on any garment, you will see a professionally multi-stitched series of differentiating patterns. This would have been made by a machine called an overlocker. It's a type of sewing machine that has four needles, four bobbins and only sews an overlock. This machine is quite expensive, and unless you do a great deal of sewing, is something that you would not necessarily need.

Yet you can still achieve that professional finish with the 1507 Singer, because it has adjustable stitch length and zig-zag width. The zig-zags give you the tidy finish seems, albeit far less so, than an overlocker. The model also has an automatic buttonholer, very useful, and at a hundred bucks, it's a steal. And if you do find that it really doesn't suit your purpose, you can always put it on E-Bay and probably get your money back.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
It looks like a good basic model. I've not used a Singer in a very long time, but they do know their business. My current machine is a Kenmore, before that I had a bottom-shelf Necchi (never agian!). No reason not to get the Singer, but have you looked around thrift stores and such? You can probably find a used machine in perfectly good condition for less. Our local Habitat for Humanity has a row of old sewing machines and tables.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I just finished this 8-dart cap using scraps from the linen suit I made last summer. Light plain cotton lining and grosgrain band. The bill is interfaced with three layers of buckram, but next time I'll try something heavier. The pattern was made using a vintage tailor's draft. The bill needs some adjusting and I think I'll add a bit more curve to the dart seams. I have lots of small leftovers from other projects that are going to become caps.

SAM_5356_zpsb6dcac99.jpg

SAM_5354_zps208f50d7.jpg

SAM_5357_zps1903f164.jpg

SAM_5358_zps54bbc494.jpg

SAM_5360_zpsfd70e24f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR