Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gents: Do you feel comfortable with a woman who is taller than you?

Do you feel comfortable being in a relationship with a woman who is taller than you?

• Total voters

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think it's tall women that might not feel comfortable with shorter men.
I've known some tall women (BB/VB players) who were of that mindset. My first wife was 6' in here bare feet (I'm 6'1") so when she was in heels she got up there and I must admit it felt a little weird when we would kiss and hug, though it didn't seem to make much difference when we would lay down.....

Pompidou

One Too Many
On the dating website I use, short men face a stigma similar to fat women. Short guys have a miserable time getting dates. On the profiles of the women, it's very common for them to demand a man taller than they are. I think most men just want the woman to be shaped right, regardless of how they look as a couple. Women, it seems, are more concerned about how people will think they look compared to their partners. It might not be that they mind short men, but more that they mind looking tall in public when apparently women aren't supposed to be tall. Short's no big deal. Shorter than her seems to be.

LordBest

Practically Family
I've nothing against tall people, but I wouldn't want my daughter to marry one.

I find it odd that height seems to be one area where its still socially acceptable to discriminate in such a manner, as opposed to, say, skin colour which is another quirk of genetics the individual has no control over.

Pompidou

One Too Many
We're allowed to discriminate with a blank check when it comes to romance. There aren't very many equal opportunity daters, even racially. For example, the site I go to does polls and takes statistics and whatnot based on community behaviors, and Indian men and black women are on the bottom of the totem pole, while whites sit comfortably on top. Hard truth to swallow, but while people often lie, their actions speak truer than their words. Racial discrimination is alive and well in dating. So is weight discrimination, height discrimination and general ugliness discrimination - age discrimination - there's not much left. What conclusion does this bring? People are picky. OkCupid is the site, if anyone wants to verify. It's a dating site that sometimes thinks it's Facebook, written by math majors with a fetish for crunching behavioral numbers and posting the conclusions.

Last edited:

LordBest

Practically Family
Quite, but the point isn't that other forms of discrimination are not present, rather that height is the only one that remains acceptable to admit to in polite society. I find that intriguing. It is even considered poor taste at best to say that you want your partner to be aesthetically pleasing.

Bebop

Practically Family
I've known some tall women (BB/VB players) who were of that mindset. My first wife was 6' in here bare feet (I'm 6'1") so when she was in heels she got up there and I must admit it felt a little weird when we would kiss and hug, though it didn't seem to make much difference when we would lay down.....

The secret is to kiss only while you stand on a curb and she stands in the street. :D

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Quite, but the point isn't that other forms of discrimination are not present, rather that height is the only one that remains acceptable to admit to in polite society. I find that intriguing. It is even considered poor taste at best to say that you want your partner to be aesthetically pleasing.

I don't think that it's the only "form of discrimination" that remains acceptable to admit in polite society, and I don't believe that it is considered by most people to be of "poor taste" to say that you want your partner to be aesthetically pleasing. I have often admitted that I prefer tall women with dark hair, dark eyes, tan to light skin, of medium-build (more or less), and pleasing to my eyes. Those are my preferences (although I'm not saying that I haven't veered off from them a bit in the past), and I don't see that such admittance is in "poor taste." Sorry to disagree with you, old boy.:D

Cheers.

Last edited:
Really, it does--everything else in the world could be right and if her idea of fun is humiliating me or pushing me around like a manor-serf that's a Showstopper, even if she's got Christina Hendricks's curves on Uma Thurman's height and is otherwise good enough to blow my mind. Other than that, I'm not comfortable for safety reasons with a gal below a certain fraction of my own weight, usually 55% of my 180-lb. "summer lean", and a taller gal has more room to distribute that mass across the frame--put 20# on someone around 4'9 and you're gonna see it and not necessarily favorably, while on a gal around 5'8" or more that same 20# is much less noticeable, and at 5-10 and up approaches "imperceptible". (This may be the side-effects of being dealt the combo of Hulking Mass and Freaking Klutz in a densely-packed package, though.)

Just my two cents.

I've never been in that situation before. I'm 6'1" and my past few girlfriends have been 5'4, 5'6, 5'1, and 5'0. I don't really have an issue with women my height or taller, just never meet any. My mom is 6'0, so it's just a regular occurance in my life being around a woman close to my height.

As far as the prejudices of dating, that's just basic attraction. Everyone's got things they prefer. I do, however, think you have to look past it if someone has a fantastic personality. All my pals got on my case because my last girlfriend was around 200 lbs. But she had a great personality (at the time) and loved going antique shopping, so I was more than happy and easily could look past a simple flaw such as a few extra pounds.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
There's a Lithuanian server at Philippe Restaurant in downtown L.A. (actually at the end of Chinatown) who has got to be 6'1" in bare feet. I'm 6', so she is only a tad taller than me (she towers over all the Hispanic servers). Even though she is quite "thin," she's got a pretty face and seems to be warming up to the locales, so I don't think that I'd let her 1" "advantage" interfere if she were my type. At any rate, I am willing to bet that if she doesn't have a boyfriend yet, she soon will, and that he will be shorter than her...

There's a Lithuanian server at Philippe Restaurant in downtown L.A. (actually at the end of Chinatown) who has got to be 6'1" in bare feet. I'm 6', so she is only a tad taller than me (she towers over all the Hispanic servers). Even though she is quite "thin," she's got a pretty face and seems to be warming up to the locales, so I don't think that I'd let her 1" "advantage" interfere if she were my type. At any rate, I am willing to bet that if she doesn't have a boyfriend yet, she soon will, and that he will be shorter than her...[/QUOTE]

Might he look a bit like a guy around here with the intials WB?;):p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto