Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Harv, Thanks! It's really hard to find old (pre WWII) German and Austrian soft felts (any size). There are more stiff felts available. In this case the seller didn't know the hat was a Wegener because the company mark didn't include the name. I find most of my hats on Ebay.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Good Lord, I entirely forgot about that one :)

It is still there untouched. Also still have some vintage-new leather sweatbands. I checked at Hut König a while ago ... problem being to find a size 59 wooden form to make something nice high-crown like your new gem. :cheer2:

Deiter, Did you ever do anything with the old Lembert Velour hat body? If possible can you post photos of it again?

Good Lord, I entirely forgot about that one :)

It is still there untouched. Also still have some vintage-new leather sweatbands. I checked at Hut König a while ago ... problem being to find a size 59 wooden form to make something nice high-crown like your new gem. :cheer2:

That is great that you still have it. I am sure Lembert still has such blocks (based on what we saw during our visit) but probably aren't willing to put them into action. If you find time can you please post photos of the hood and the leather sweatbands?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
15156114570_3106e7ea6b_h.jpg

That is a wonderful find and a splendid Wegener. Congrats my friend!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Some Fleamarket finds from today!

Echter Mayser all around in a good condition, some moth nibbles on the underside!

Wegener Florett in very good condition!

Wegener Homburg, condition 3 of 5!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Steve and Charlie, nice finds, indeed! The Mayser and the Wegener goes to Ebay. I have to much hat's to collect them all . The Florett is my favorite in this Trio and he will spend some time on my Head . :)

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
What age would you say this rockel is ?

15204640270_a09f410c5c_b.jpg

15390993442_d59b2eac65_b.jpg

15390989072_727f57e231_b.jpg

I also found this 40's black velour

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Unbranded but the newspaper that was under the sweatband was dated 1947, West German Paper

Paddy,

Great pick ups!

It's hard to say with the Rockel. Can you show the front and side view? Also does it have a paper label? As you can tell the sweatband was repaired.

The second one has a similar form to a couple of late 30s Echter Borsalinos I have although they have wider brims. Does it have a paper label?

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
As usual for me the paper label have gone, the state most of these hats arrive im surprised they've even got sweatbands half of them,

Another hat I liked again paper label had gone was this, just for the colouring and the fact that the ribbon work on the sweatband was at the front of the hat rather then at the rear

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

15391324795_ff41b93be5_b.jpg

15388598611_aed5acd237_b.jpg

I was thinking probably late 40's on the top and then early 50's on the Rockel it has a stitched liner

Interesting band on the Rockel. I think your dating is right on the Rockel but it might have been modified which adds to the mystery.

The latest hat is really interesting. It could be from the 1930s or right around WWII. The reason being that the hat shop location is in Gera which became part of East Germany after WWII. It has an older look to it and appears to have Wool content.

Most of your hats appear to come from East Germany sources. There are some really great hats coming from there lately. Not sure if you saw my old Wegener (back a few posts) which also came from a East German source.

Would it be possible to take a closer photo of the black Velour liner mark? Can't make out the coat of arms.

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
15205598487_5991ae1cf6_b.jpg

I'm always jealous of your hats they are incredible, I get a heck of a lot of East German hats mostly 70's 80's junk or low value

I had a fairly decent batch in my latest delivery mostly 60's but there was a good Luckenwalder from the 50's (I think)
And a Tyrolean style by Lock & Co. which was interesting that the British made them (it was sold in Germany)

This symbol is East German correct ?

15388931221_ea654e6e12_b.jpg

I see it on so so many hats

Thanks! You are finding some real gems too!

I think the mark on the Black Velour is English but that doesn't mean it wasn't a German maker. I will have to do some investigating. Dieter or someone else might know.

All the hat companies (US, England, Germany, Italy, France, Austria, Czech, ect) made Tyrolean styles in the 1950s and 1960s. It was a popular sporting hat style of the time period. Also you see the influence of the occupation countries post WWII (for example Mayser starts to producing Stetson hats under license).

The last mark is VEB Hutwerke Guben (DDR). Guben was a giant hat making center prior to WWII.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandkissed