Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Yes it's VEB Hutwerke Guben. They made hats into the 1990s (privatized but closed shop shortly there after).

Did Guben take over other factories ?

I have hats that are marked with that G then on the round paper size label some say Luckenwalder and other say hutwerke guben, then I've got some that say Betrieb Guben DDR

Did Guben take over other factories ?

I have hats that are marked with that G then on the round paper size label some say Luckenwalder and other say hutwerke guben, then I've got some that say Betrieb Guben DDR

I believe VEB Hutwerke Guben was the only maker in Guben post WWII. The website that had the information is gone. The Guben hat museum closed a while ago but their website was still up until recently.

VEB Luckenwalder Hutfabrik is a different company / location. Luckenwalde was also large hat making center prior to WWII. It's due south of Berlin and Guben is South West of Berlin near the Polish border.

Last edited:
Turns out I have this mini Porcelain Top Hat promo item from the shop (Th. Scheunpflug) that sold the old R.& M. Wegener soft felt that I recently acquired.

8075115998_5936d1a29b_b.jpg

15156304658_3f11aadc56_h.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hi Steve,

had some issues loading up pictures due to an old flash-whatever version (IT in need is IT indeed! :rain:)

Here it is...
Foto 1.JPG Foto 2.JPG

Dreispitz

One Too Many
I think the mark on the Black Velour is English but that doesn't mean it wasn't a German maker.

Yes, English-ish syle coat of arms.....no writing on it (Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense and Dieux Et Mon Droit is missing for the Royal Coat of arms ... austriche plumes usually stand for Prince of Wales).... rudimentary horn of the uniquehorn .... somehow strange. Can be whatever!

Last edited:

B1ggles

Familiar Face
I have just come back from a few days in Netherlands and was delighted to pick up this gorgeous Mayser with a 2-inch brim in a second-hand shop in Delft for the extremely reasonable price of EUR18. It's probably not 'vintage' at all but it looks as though its original owner never got to wear it much, if ever, and it's in superb condition. It is a fraction large, however (but the kind of 'large' that would only worry you on a windy day) and I wondered whether it was best to just put a little foam behind the sweatband or whether there is any way of shrinking it slightly?

Last edited:
Nice pick up! Yes it's fairly recent. If you check behind the sweatband at the rear it should have a paper label with the model name and size. I am thinking it might be a City Finale. You can put a spacer behind the sweatband. I would use felt as a spacer rather than foam. You don't want to deform the sweatband.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
Nice pick up! Yes it's fairly recent. If you check behind the sweatband at the rear it should have a paper label with the model name and size. I am thinking it might be a City Finale. You can put a spacer behind the sweatband. I would use felt as a spacer rather than foam. You don't want to deform the sweatband.
Spot on, the model is Malente (or Malenie?) Garant, followed by Farbe 278 and Konte Nr 051311. Yes, I'll put a little felt in there, it doesn't need much.

Pardon the off topic bump... I don't have enough depth in my hat collection to post often enough on this great thread. Here is a nod to my early 20th century roots (Lemberg) with a sachertorte I made for the Jewish New Year.

sachertorte.jpg

Exactly... many border changes since 1905. It was a popular source of NYC Jewish immigrants.

I don't think any of them every stayed at the Hotel Sacher.

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pardon the off topic bump... I don't have enough depth in my hat collection to post often enough on this great thread. Here is a nod to my early 20th century roots (Lemberg) with a sachertorte I made for the Jewish New Year.

sachertorte.jpg

Wenzel von Metternich would be proud!

I don't suppose you'd consider mailing me a piece....:essen:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I have a Huckel on the way to me from France looks a little worse for wear but its coming as part of a small batch
$_57.JPG

Ill post some photos up when it arrives

Paddy, Yes it looks like it might have some felt damage and is missing the ribbon / bow. Still it's a great find! I am looking forward to seeing better photos of it. By the way JHS Velours were popular in France.

This is a Metric / French Point size chart from an old (early 1900s) J. Hückel´s Söhne hat box. Notice the 1/2 CM and 1/4 French Point sizing. Also 60cm = 6 1/4 French Point instead of 6 1/2.

15537609761_6b19da7fb2_b.jpg

Here are some actual examples (from the same time period) of JHS 1/4 Point Sizing.

Based on the above chart 5 3/4 Point would be 58 1/2cm.

9584620444_10a5637cd5_b.jpg

Based on the above chart 4 1/4 Point would be 55 1/2cm.

4507524281_9b5753bfdb_b.jpg

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
Steve The Huckel arrived and its had a hard life

There is no paper label

14927869074_02b3d82eaf_c.jpg

15362610357_b3b01a82c9_c.jpg

14928452493_b7b3bb8091_c.jpg

14927866534_c62b6443c8_c.jpg

I'll more than likely have to sell it as a theatre prop or maybe keep it for display in the office, small size but it was nice to see an older one I normally see 60's Huckel

Paddy, Thank you for posting the photos. Interesting to see a French market JHS. I believe Robert (RLK) has a couple of them. It's unfortunate regarding the condition because Velour color is great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart