Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Congrats! It is from the original factory in Novy Jicin, Czechoslovakia (prior to WWI Neutitschein, Austria). My guess is that it's from the 1930s. You can see if the original color where the band is pushed down. Not sure what caused the color change but it has had some heavy wear. Also appears to have spacing under the sweatband. Look forward to seeing more when it arrives.

65 Classic

Practically Family
Congrats! It is from the original factory in Novy Jicin, Czechoslovakia (prior to WWI Neutitschein, Austria). My guess is that it's from the 1930s. You can see if the original color where the band is pushed down. Not sure what caused the color change but it has had some heavy wear. Also appears to have spacing under the sweatband. Look forward to seeing more when it arrives.

Thank you for the details. I'll be sure to get it cleaned up and take pics. I'm really excited!

Thank you for the details. I'll be sure to get it cleaned up and take pics. I'm really excited!
It's possible the color is faded. Here is one of mine that the color faded. This one had some wear (missing band, rivets for hunting band?) but not sure what caused the color to fad (sun exposure?). Regardless I like the resulting color (you can see the difference from the bottom side of the brim).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hückel´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page-5#entry596

65 Classic

Practically Family
It's possible the color is faded. Here is one of mine that the color faded. This one had some wear (missing band, rivets for hunting band?) but not sure what caused the color to fad (sun exposure?). Regardless I like the resulting color (you can see the difference from the bottom side of the brim).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hückel´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page-5#entry596

I see. It's not a real blonde as it looks now but sure does look good.

Anton Pichler Graz, Wool, measures 57.5 cm, 162 grams, couldn't find a paper label probably late 1920s to 1930s. I really like the liner design on this Stiff Felt.

38455593644_4309548675_b.jpg

27386175289_1b60b83030_b.jpg

38455663334_147ea0561b_b.jpg

39163476321_b871b47387_b.jpg

38283401085_c36882d991_b.jpg

27386362839_74884175ef_b.jpg

J. Hückel´s Söhne Promo Pocket Mirror, probably 1930s. For retailer C. Christen Hannover, Germany.

24305461757_586e39fc86_b.jpg

39135971012_b49a0a5480_b.jpg

I very much like collecting these mirrors. I believe there is only one of the series that I don't have in my collection.

32300827996_540fcc64ce_b.jpg
I love these mirrors. Wish they would have been available here in the USA during the period, the graphics would have been cool. Or were they?

I still owe you a full set of pictures of the hat I wore yesterday. And here it is. Germania hat in what appears to be grey, but is actually more lilac (and it says so on the label). Unreeded sweatband with a sweatband cord all the way around, unlined (and never was) and crown patch missing. Raw edge brim with four rows of stitching at 6,3 cm and crown at 10 cm at the pinch. The hat has a back bow that is slightly off centre, as is the sweatband. The finishing not consistent with the blocking therefore. If not completely wool, then at least a high wool content of the felt. Very soft and supple; it seems like hardly any shellac was used. It can be worn with the brim down, but it kind of naturally sits with the brim curved up this way. The label says Wilkau on top and I wonder if that could be the manufacturer's name.
Steve (Mayserwegener) is interested in the pre-war everyday hats and I think this would fit the bill. My guess is certainly pre-war and I would lean towards the twenties, but it could very well be thirties. This one came from a vintage store in The Hague, were I found the Adler hat too (and another one I'll post after this one).

germania_02.jpg
germania_01.jpg
germania_03.jpg
germania_04.jpg
germania_05.jpg
germania_06.jpg
germania_07.jpg
germania_08.jpg

Second one of this tuesdays haul. This one is a mystery hat to me. There is a company logo on the sweatband but I can't make out if there's an actual name there. Maybe Steve (mayserwegener) knows this logo. I'll call it Zilinder (German for top-hat) for now, although I admit I'm not even 100 percent sure if it's German or not. No labels at all inside this hat but it fits me perfectly, so must be a 56 size. Bound brim at 7 cm and crom 10 cm at the pinch. Unlined and no crown patch either. Doesn't look like it ever had one. The sweatband is unreeded. Back bow. Felt is wool (some fur content maybe, but not much) and the hat is quite heavy.
Mike (Redfokker) likes to see a crease-clip in action. Well, this hat called for it; there already was a sharp centre crease and it naturally shaped itself to this crease. It probably had a clip in the past, so I put one of the clips Mike kindly sent to me in this one. It could be shaped in another form easily, but I think this one fits with the period feel of the hat. I'm guessing thirties or early forties.

zilinder_8.jpg
zilinder_2.jpg
zilinder_1.jpg
zilinder_3.jpg
zilinder_4.jpg
zilinder_5.jpg
zilinder_6.jpg
zilinder_7.jpg

One more then and I'll do the rest tomorrow. This one was a nice find. Böhm Wien fedora in black. Size 56 (I'm guessing). Raw edge brim at 6cm and crown 9,5 cm at the pinched (it is pinched low). Very nice felt, somewhere between normal and antilope finish. No clue as to its age (couldn't find a similar liner on Steve's website). The model is called Hera.

bohm_1.jpg
bohm_3.jpg
bohm_4.jpg
bohm_5.jpg
bohm_6.jpg
bohm_2.jpg
bohm_7.jpg
bohm_9.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I still owe you a full set of pictures of the hat I wore yesterday. And here it is. Germania hat in what appears to be grey, but is actually more lilac (and it says so on the label). Unreeded sweatband with a sweatband cord all the way around, unlined (and never was) and crown patch missing. Raw edge brim with four rows of stitching at 6,3 cm and crown at 10 cm at the pinch. The hat has a back bow that is slightly off centre, as is the sweatband. The finishing not consistent with the blocking therefore. If not completely wool, then at least a high wool content of the felt. Very soft and supple; it seems like hardly any shellac was used. It can be worn with the brim down, but it kind of naturally sits with the brim curved up this way. The label says Wilkau on top and I wonder if that could be the manufacturer's name.
Steve (Mayserwegener) is interested in the pre-war everyday hats and I think this would fit the bill. My guess is certainly pre-war and I would lean towards the twenties, but it could very well be thirties. This one came from a vintage store in The Hague, were I found the Adler hat too (and another one I'll post after this one).

germania_02-jpg.99044
I like this one for color and this raw appearance.
My n. 1!

Second one of this tuesdays haul. This one is a mystery hat to me. There is a company logo on the sweatband but I can't make out if there's an actual name there. Maybe Steve (mayserwegener) knows this logo. I'll call it Zilinder (German for top-hat) for now, although I admit I'm not even 100 percent sure if it's German or not. No labels at all inside this hat but it fits me perfectly, so must be a 56 size. Bound brim at 7 cm and crom 10 cm at the pinch. Unlined and no crown patch either. Doesn't look like it ever had one. The sweatband is unreeded. Back bow. Felt is wool (some fur content maybe, but not much) and the hat is quite heavy.
Mike (Redfokker) likes to see a crease-clip in action. Well, this hat called for it; there already was a sharp centre crease and it naturally shaped itself to this crease. It probably had a clip in the past, so I put one of the clips Mike kindly sent to me in this one. It could be shaped in another form easily, but I think this one fits with the period feel of the hat. I'm guessing thirties or early forties.

zilinder_8-jpg.99057
Also this is very interesting. I think both are more wool, so an everyday hat. Fine
N.2 in my ranking

One more then and I'll do the rest tomorrow. This one was a nice find. Böhm Wien fedora in black. Size 56 (I'm guessing). Raw edge brim at 6cm and crown 9,5 cm at the pinched (it is pinched low). Very nice felt, somewhere between normal and antilope finish. No clue as to its age (couldn't find a similar liner on Steve's website). The model is called Hera.

bohm_1-jpg.99080
The most usual! Not classified :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk