German & Austrian Hutmachers

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mayserwegener, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Panos, Thanks! The Velour is great and in very good condition but the components are lacking.

Steve1857 and PanosChris like this.
  2. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

I promised Steve @mayserwegener that I would post this C.W. Borchert hat box in this thread, so here it is.

It has the company's original address at Friedrich Strasse pre WWII. After WWII, Borchert moved to Kurfüstendamm. That is to to say from east to west Berlin after the city's partition.

The G.m.b.H initials (the German equivalent of a limited liability company) are also missing on this hat box, which lead me to believe this is very early 1900s.

IMG_20210410_214743.jpg IMG_20210410_224603.jpg

3. Koechinggendoet

Koechinggendoet Familiar Face

Hello to all of my fellow loungers
    This is my first austrian hat,an huckel one
    Sorry for the inside picture to be from the seller,the hat sweatband is now in turmoil at my hand

Attached Files:

M Hatman, steur, Rmccamey and 5 others like this.
  4. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Nice find! It's actually a German made hat. This hat was made by Hückel Weilheim and probably later 1960s early 1970s. Ex employees from JHS Ratibor Factory started Hückel Weilheim post WWII. More about Hückel here.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/6-johann-hückel´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/

Rmccamey and Mean Eyed Matt like this.
  5. Koechinggendoet

Thank you for the info steve,i read some blog that say hückel was an austrian company changed name to tonak,of course you know more than i ever to be

6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Steve, Thanks for posting! Also please post the Franz Gulder Silk Top Hat if you have time. Thanks.

Steve1857 likes this.
  7. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Tonak today is the original JHS main factory in Nový Jičín, Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic today) up to WWI Neutitschein, Austria. All Czech Hat factories were nationalzed as Tonak post WWII. Here you can read about the beginnings (post WWII) of Hückel Weilheim (Bavaria) started by expelled workers from JHS Ratibor Factory.

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/6-johann-hückel´s-söhne-hückel-hutfabrik-weilheim/?do=findComment&comment=952

8. Koechinggendoet

Thankyou again for the info steve,its my daily hats when its cold outside,and its fairly cheap,i buy it for 48 dollars

mayserwegener likes this.
  9. Koechinggendoet

Forgot to add this one,an emblem placed in the sweatband ribbon place(usually)

Attached Files:

10. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Will do, Steve. I was planning on doing it yesterday, but the FL is so irritatingly slow that I gave up on it.

11. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

Here it is, Steve.

A Franz Gulder of Vienna top hat. A fairly unknown maker, but seems to have been popular among Danish hatters.

It's quite light in weight compared to my Lincoln & Bennet for example, but out of the 10 top hats I own, this one comes second after my L&B with regard to the quality of the finish of the silk.

Sadly, at a size 59, it's two sizes too large for me. IMG_20210408_165023.jpg
    IMG_20210408_164838.jpg IMG_20210408_162302.jpg IMG_20210408_162353.jpg

M Hatman, steur, Rmccamey and 5 others like this.
  12. Koechinggendoet

13. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Steve, Thanks! It's the first Franz Gulder Wien.

Steve1857 likes this.
  14. Steve1857

Steve1857 I'll Lock Up

You're most welcome, Steve.

It's always nice to be a first, especially when it's a very fine example of the hat maker.

Please feel free to post the Franz Gulder top hat and my ca. early 1900s C.W.Borchert hat box on your germanaustrianhat site, Steve.

15. Mean Eyed Matt

Mean Eyed Matt Practically Family

I thought again about the logo in Stefans Woolie, because it is great
    and I think it is the head of a griffin in the middle.
    I remember darkly that I heard/read sometime/somewhere
    the name " Greif-Hüte". The griffin is the heraldic animal of Pomerania,
    which is why I thought of a ( North ) East German company.
    But the griffin is also the heraldic animal of Baden -
    where also Freiburg im Breisgau (Trescher) is located.

A Google search did yield a hit for "Marke Greif",
    but unfortunately the post of the "Greif" top hat
    is missing the pictures in the meantime:
    https://picclick.de/Echter-Zylinderhut-von-Orginal-Marke-Greif-202415654357.html

In the bay there is also a hat " Marke Greif " right now
    - unfortunately also without pictures:
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Raritaet-2-Haarhuete-/292421812203
    I asked the seller for more pictures...

Maybe Steve knows more? Ever heard of this brand?
    Maybe just a coincidence...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    steur, PanosChris and Steve1857 like this.
  16. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Matt, Here you go. I replied to a post back in 2019 but the poster never replied back

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/german-austrian-hutmachers.32103/page-360#post-2499865

The "Marke Greif" belonged to supplier Vatter & Kaltenbach & Co. Frankfurt am Main. The advertisement below is from 1950.

[​IMG]

I don't believe they made hats so they sourced from hat companies. In this 1936 advertisement they were a supplier of Rockel (see below).

[​IMG]

17. PanosChris

PanosChris Practically Family

Here is one of those unknown brand pre-war woolies, I got just recently 20210416_100105.jpg 20210416_095843.jpg 20210416_100128.jpg 20210416_100144.jpg 20210416_095905.jpg 20210416_100226.jpg 20210416_100234.jpg 20210417_222450.jpg 20210417_222423.jpg Not quite sure what is written on the stamp and whether "21" is the production year. It shares some elements (label, brim finish) with the "Germania" I got from @steur

18. steur

steur

Again: a marvelous find! Love the colour and the thickness of the velour is almost tangible from the pictures alone.

mayserwegener and Mean Eyed Matt like this.
  19. steur

steur

Lovely topper, Steve. Too bad about the size. Larger sized toppers are rare though and don't come cheap.

Steve1857 likes this.
  20. steur

steur

Interesting thought, Matt. Did not make the connection myself. As luck would have it, I own a Marke Greif hat. Just to compare here are a few pics.

greif_02.jpg greif_08.jpg greif_10.jpg

Vauka is most likely an acronym of VAtter Und KAltenback.

Here's the Trescher again for comparison:
    trescher_02.jpg trescher_08.jpg

And one in the same colour scheme: Wotan Homburg. Very similar to the Greif in its styling. I just noticed the lower case o in the WoTAN name. So it could very well be an acronym, like Vauka is as well.

wotan_02.jpg wotan11.jpg