Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
a Wegener "Super" Homburger from 1965

wegenersuper.jpg

wegenersuper1.jpg

wegenersuper2.jpg

wegenersuper3.jpg

wegenersuper4.jpg

wegenersuper5.jpg

Manfred, The Persia Homburg looks really nice. Very interesting bow work. Again another maker mark with no company name (just "S"). I think the Wegener falls into the German Homburg / Fedora style you see around the late 1950s early 1960s. The date stamps are helpful because you can see when they switched to gluing the liners. Germany has the same time line as the USA in that regard. Austrian and especially Italian makers stuck with hand stitiching longer.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve I found some infos about your Club of Hatmaker

Johann Heinrich JTA

Johann Heinrich JTA, the name sometimes written Ita, (* 1850;? † 10 January 1915) was an Austrian hatter during the imperial Monarchy. [1]
Biography [edit]
Small advertisements from JTA with his unique brand Fabriks (1906)
Villa on the JTA Linzerstrasse 146 in Penzing

Johann Heinrich JTA was a prominent hat maker in Vienna. His company was very successful during his lifetime he was awarded with several honors. He was financial consultant and president of the Club of the Austrian hat manufacturers. Among his customers included, among other things, the imperial court, he later became a kuk Court-appointed hat manufacturers. Jta chamber was also a supplier of Archduke Joseph. The factory and the counting were at the Linzer Straße 140 in 13 District of Vienna. [2]

He was married to Julie JTA. Together they had several children: Hermine, Ludwig and Gustav JTA. Hermione married Edmund Thilo. Grandchildren were Henry, John and Paul JTA.

Johann Heinrich died on 10 JTA January 1915 by a stroke. He was buried according to Protestant rites at the cemetery of St. Helena in Baden near Vienna

1853 came Peter Habig (born 29 January 1839 in Salmünster, † January 4, 1916 in Vienna) and his distant cousin Francis Auhl to Vienna and earned first 5 years as a hatter. In 1858 he was acquitted in Korneuburg.

He married Adelaide, daughter of Francis Auhl. At her wedding, she brought a dowry of a detail of her father's business, which he led until 1866. From 1865, his brother Carl assisted in the operation.

Habig erected in 1867 a small workshop, which were very popular in silk hats and the so-called "Chemisse Galette" is produced. 1871 Peter Habig was his brother Carl to Compagnon of the company since the company was called "P. & C. Habig ". In 1870, the brothers won the gold medal at the international exhibition in Kassel. The award "Hors concours Juror" which they won at the Vienna World Exhibition of 1873 brought them additional recognition in high places.

Both their hat factory opened in 1882 on the street Wiedner. Equipped with the latest machines could achieve Habig hot cakes. Businesses were at the Wiedner Hauptstrasse 15 directly next to the factory and at the Palais Todesco at the Carinthian road 51 where silk and felt hats were sold. In 1888, a store on the Friedrichstrasse in Berlin was opened in 82nd The heyday of the firm took place during the monarchy, as it KuK Chamber was allowed to call and farmyard hatter. Furthermore, P. & C. Habig was appointed purveyor of German Empress Auguste Victoria and the Prince Friedrich Leopold of Prussia. Supplies were also King Edward VII of Great Britain, George I and Peter I of Greece and Serbia IV, Grand Duke William of Luxembourg. Habig also a prominent sponsor of the magazine was The Other by Adolf Loos, who was an outspoken Aesthete.

With the success of Habig could make a great ensemble of buildings built in the early days of the factory architect Carl Henry and Adam Holzman. The so-called "Habig-Hof" was taking a complete work of apartments and retail space nearly an entire city block. You probably also directed the counting of the company downstairs.

More show success, the company won in Philadelphia (1876), Paris (1878), Antwerp (1885), Brussels (1888), Chicago (1893) and the "Grand Prix" in Paris in 1900.

Peter Habig was one of the founders of the Club of Austrian hat manufacturers, and was influential in the Vienna and the Austrian Hutmachergenossenschaft Hutmodenverein. He was also involved with socially and established loyalty bonuses for particularly long steady-earning employees. He was also a member of the tribunal of the Lower Austrian Trade Association and donated to the Technical Museum in Vienna, a maker of hats Musterwerkstättete as an exhibit.

For his services he received many awards including the Golden Cross of Merit with the Crown, the Franz Joseph Order, the Order of the Iron Crown III. Class, the Knight's Cross of the French Legion of Honor and was appointed financial consultant.

Peter Habig died in 1916 during the First World War and was buried at Central Cemetery. His tomb with grave monument was designed by Josef Engelhart.

After the First World War, tore off the main clientele, after the Second World War and the changing fashion tastes of the importance of the hat disappeared completely. The business at the Friedrich Strasse was destroyed during the Second World War, the main business street in the Wiedner had to be abandoned because of cost. The heiress Barbara Habig leads to this day a small factory, with which they sprout pad ensures superior hats as a fashion accessory.

Adolf Fraenkel was the editor of the magazine at the 1906
infos Wikipedia

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Hat that came with a box

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any information about this hutmacher. I acquired the top hat unintentionally as it came with a top hat bucket I bought recently on ebay. The seller didn't have any photos of the hat so I had no idea of its quality or make. I was pretty surprised when I saw that it was from "Adolf Hitler Str." Presumably it was made during the Third Reich period. This seemed like an appropriate thread to find out more.

dscn1217.jpg

dscn1206.jpg

dscn1207.jpg

Manfred, Great information! I actually have an old (pre 1945) J. Heinr. ITA Homburg. I hope some where there are copies of this publication and also the German equivalent. I will have to take a day and visit the US Library of Congress and see if they have any information. Would also be a good idea to contact the German and Austrian archives.

From 1912.

6334925263_bbbd2d6679_o.gif

6334925277_796b9113d5_o.gif

Last edited:
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has any information about this hutmacher. I acquired the top hat unintentionally as it came with a top hat bucket I bought recently on ebay. The seller didn't have any photos of the hat so I had no idea of its quality or make. I was pretty surprised when I saw that it was from "Adolf Hitler Str." Presumably it was made during the Third Reich period. This seemed like an appropriate thread to find out more.

I have a couple soft felt hats with Adolf Hitler Str. addresses (different cities) from that time period. I searched around some but couldn't find anything on Conrad Böhmery (I assume this is the maker). I am pretty sure I came across this name before but not sure where. Along with the sweatband stamp it would nice to see a photo of the paper label behind the sweatband (assuming it has one).

Last edited:

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
I have a couple soft felt hats with Adolf Hitler Str. addresses (different cities) from that time period. I searched around some but couldn't find anything on Conrad Böhmery (I assume this is the maker). I am pretty sure I came across this name before but not sure where. Along with the sweatband stamp it would nice to see a photo of the paper label behind the sweatband (assuming it has one).

I'll take some photos of those things and post them soon. The seller told me that it belonged to his grandfather. It's still in the original bucket, which has a label giving the owner's full name (same initials as the gilt letters on the lining).

The gilt letters are fantastic! Also appears to be in great condition. I am pretty sure "Jhn. Willi Schmidt" was the retail store in Essen but might not have survived WII. I couldn't find anything online.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Manfred, Great information! I actually have an old (pre 1945) J. Heinr. ITA Homburg. I hope some where there are copies of this publication and also the German equivalent. I will have to take a day and visit the US Library of Congress and see if they have any information. Would also be a good idea to contact the German and Austrian archives.

From 1912.

6334925263_bbbd2d6679_o.gif

6334925277_796b9113d5_o.gif

Thats a good idea Steve.

Do you know more about your Hatter Gazette

The US Library of Congress said that the British Library might have copies. I am checking with them but haven't heard back yet. I also sent an e-mail to the German National Archives. The US Library of Congress said the Austrian National Library has copies of the Austro-Hungarian Hatters' Gazette. I sent the Austrian National Library an e-mail but haven't heard back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart