Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, you have so right, I steamed the melone with heavy steam and the melone was soft for a moment.
I could stretch it, so that it fits now. The Rehfus melone, the same thing. it fits now too.
I thank you very much my friend for your knowledge and your help.

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
A noggin shot of the Chapeau Beyer!

wear164.jpg

Rehfus Zepfhir

wear165.jpg

Manfred, Both look great! Were you able to adjust Chapeau Beyer? Since the Rehfus is Zepfhir so is it much lighter / more flexible? You also mentioned a Hückel Melone.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Sorry about the Hückel I mean the rehfus melone! Yes, I stretched the Beyer with many steam as you said.
The hard melone was after steam soft and malleable, then I used the Hat jack and waited to that the melone cold out.
Under the sweatband left and right some piece of newspaper to adjust the sides.
Now it fits perfect!

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Manfred, that Refus melone looks fantastic. I love the brim on that one and you wear it well.

Manfred, Good to hear you were able to make it fit. I have had the same problem with the opening being too round. When you stretch it a bit front to back the side to side width stays the same.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Iyor, thank you very much for the kind words, I really appreciate it.

Steve, yes, that is the point! It's a good feeling to wear a melone! my tought was that the Rehfus melone is the standard melone and the Beyer melone much harder is for Horse riding.
That the Rehfus is a lightweight felt melone, I am not come on it

Last edited:
Horse riding Melone (Bowlers, Derbies) are more intense (thicker, harder, special padding). I know Rehfus also marketed very light / flexible / self conforming Melone. They were competing against the increasing popularity of the soft city style felts (Rehfus, Hückel, Habig, ect. also made soft city style felts).

By the way it appears the maker is A.C. or C.A. I think Beyer might be the shop that sold it.

Last edited:

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
I don't often stop by this thread, but when I do I'm always amazed at the quality craftsmanship and huge variety of vintage German hats. Without this thread they would definitely be overlooked in these parts. Keep it up Manfred and Steve!

Steve, that could be. You have sharp eyes. Have you a guess, who is C.A

Nothing so far. I need to look into finding digital copies of the French and Italian hat trade journals.

Also I noticed on your Rehfus Melone that they actually put the weight (70 gramm 2.4 oz) on the liner. This is super light weight especially considering it's a stiff felt hat! Zephyr can be associated with light weight hats same with Foulard / Plume. My J. Hückel´s Söhne Plume Melonen are probably in the same weight range as your Rehfus.

7809332052_724542e5ab_b.jpg

Last edited:
I don't often stop by this thread, but when I do I'm always amazed at the quality craftsmanship and huge variety of vintage German hats. Without this thread they would definitely be overlooked in these parts. Keep it up Manfred and Steve!

Thanks! You can also check out my web forum which is better organized / more complete.

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Manfred, congrats on the new hats. I've been on vacation and trying to catch up on the threads. Hotel WiFi is unreliable! You look good wearing any hat Manfred!

Steve, your research abilities continue to amaze me. How many languages do you speak?

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Today I was on a flea market and I thought I find nothing then I saw this!

It's a Mayser Traveller Sichelhaar with a fabric sweatband. Color is beige.
Normally I don't buy this species of Hat but this is a very good and special Quality and my guess, never Worn! Looks interesting. Steal for 3 EUR

maysertraveller7.jpg

Manfred, Nice pick up for 3 EURO! The hat shop that sold had some old initial pins.

Mike, I have no idea about French. It's called good Googling skills. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy