Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German magazine scans 1930s

Midnight Blue

One of the Regulars
schneidermeister193807.jpg

schneidermeister193808.jpg

Beautiful! Would you mind translating the text for these two images?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Of course. Sorry, I didn't read this earlier. "Smoking" is the german word for black tie/dinner jacket. I don't even know why because it could be confused with the typical velvet smoking jackets which are completly different. I guess the "real" smoking jackts were not common in germany (?) However the word is still in use for black tie. I will translate it accordingly.
1. picture: "Black tie suit (In this BT suit the edges touch in the front)"
2. picture "Black tie suit (The BT suit ist cut with a small overlapping)"

It refers to the different buttoning on both suits.

Flat Foot Floey

Yeah ok. Tuxedo. ;) Still doens't explain the stupid idea to give it the same name as an other existing type of garment.

I have some pictures from the 1920s. It's the same magazine as most of the others and I am too lazy to open a new thread. I have to say I don't even like the cut of 1920s suits. But I found it interesting to compare them with later styles. So here they are: Der Schneidermeister 1922

schneidermeister1922bei.jpg
schneidermeister1922pha.jpg
schneidermeister1922mod.jpg
schneidermeister1922sak.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

I use tumblr now as a quick and easy way to upload pictures. It's kinda random though. I think I will link some more with better descriptions to this thread soon.

http://goldenerasuits.tumblr.com/

Preview:
tumblr_lwtsrhZsZk1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lwtskg7G3b1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

PS: I am also reblogging stuff from other tumblr users but many scans are new on the interwebs:cool:

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Flo, you forgot to include these. German belted backs (German: Sportrücken) from 1937.

Note the shoulder yokes. Lovely, just lovely. One of each, please!

Foto-0157.jpg

No. 6 reminds me a lot of the 1960's Spanish belted back I purchased a few weeks ago (or maybe the other way round).

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Again what a great thread, I'll take some of those belted backs as well...

To put it straight, "Smoking" or "Smokinganzug" is actually the German word for a tuxedo.
Smoking is also the term used in French (and some other languages) for black tie/tuxedo as well.

Flat Foot Floey

Dated pages...I think they are also from "Der Schneidermeister" but could be taken out (my own magazines miss those color pages...damn)

farbtafel0051931.jpg

farbtafel0011933.jpg

farbtafel0061934.jpg

farbtafel025vornehmemak.jpg

farbtafel0041937.jpg

farbtafel0031937.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

I have another huge batch of magazines scanned BUT it would be too much work to post them here. I also believe that posting hundreds of pictures at once will be rather difficult to digest (and might people get lazy sharing their own stuff)
Ok, so here is the deal: You can request some topics and I will search for the pictures and post them. I could also go to the other threads like the "formal wear primer" and put the stuff there ...do we have a big thread about Plus fours-suits?

tumblr_mcgku71B5r1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

Metatron

One Too Many
1930s tailoring is rather nice, isn't it? :D

Ok here's my request, if you have any: Leather jackets! And more rugged looking stuff like the one you posted above. Please!

Flat Foot Floey

Real workwear is scarce because the scans are from a tailoring magazin. there are some adds and some "hunting" stuff though. I will look into them
I think I already posted most of the black "Nachmittag und Abend" suits but when I stumple upon some more I will add them to the thread. I also found some references to Oxford Bags (sometimes called Charleston Hose) but they already were described as a trend from a few years back (around 27)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112