Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German magazine scans 1930s

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Continued...
1931pumphosen01.jpg

1930pumphosen12.jpg

1930pumphosen11.jpg

1930pumphosen10.jpg

1930pumphosen09.jpg

1930pumphosen08.jpg

1930pumphosen07.jpg

1930pumphosen06.jpg

1930pumphosen05.jpg

1930pumphosen04.jpg

Flat Foot Floey

Bonus picture:

1930smnr24002.jpg

Thanks for you comments HBK. I guess plus fours are not your thing (?) but when I look at this pictures they kinda grow on me. They are far more versatile than the typical british country gentleman image they have now. Of course I am talking in a early 1930s context but some people (such as Sproily) can still look good in it.

Last edited:

Metatron

One Too Many
Thanks for posting FFF. I wonder if those 3/4 trousers that were the fashion about 10 years ago were for all practical purposes a reinvention of the plus fours? :)

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
My concern is that they appear too deliberately part of the English country gent or golfer look. That just isn't me. I would feel foolish. It's similar to the reason I could not wear a straw boater.
I have only worn plus-fours once in the city, during a very bad winter. I combined them with heavy boots, a Swedish policeman's leather coat and a very broad flat cap from Russia. It gave more of a central European worker look - that I could tolerate.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Floey,

Great stuff thank you for posting!

For plus fours its really about context. I wear them somewhat regularly when doing outdoor activities in Europe and other more temperate climates. But then I am with other guys wearing more modern breeks, leiderhosen etc. out in the field and its not seen as too strange. However, when I've come back to Paris after a day of sport in the country I normally get some strange looks or fun questions about them. I've said it before but I had a nice waitress in a Parisan cafe once ask if they were part of my national costume ;) Why, yes that is what all us Ruritarians wear.

I find them very practical for wet weather hill walking, deer stalking and game shooting. I like having a country gent look about me but I'm a field sports guy so its not an issue. When I move back to a proper temperate climate I'd wear a country gent look most days.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
i agree, and the more manly and adventurous the context the more plus fours seem to be acceptable. ;)
(cycling is another one).

Yep!

I put plus fours in the same boat with the white Palm Beach and linen suits we discussed earlier this year. They are items of clothing that I love that do not translate well in modern world in many contexts. As Paddy said to me, "You've got to have a great deal of confidence to walk down the middle high street with a Palm Beach suit on," the same could be said for a pair of tweed plus fours. However, in the right setting I think both are great.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Very nice. Pretty unique in that the ads show actual photographs of models and not just drawings.

Metatron

One Too Many
Great stuff. Very distinguished. I like ladies hats from the period too, very natural looking, they don't overwhelm the wearer's face or make a 'statement', they are just hats.

Flat Foot Floey

The strong focus on Loden (traditional garb for hunting) in the first half is very german and doesn't interest me at all. The few suits in the middle are sharp and I like the coats/jackets (that are cut like a peacoat). The "Eskimo" blanket coat is a surprise. I didn't expect it in a german catalog.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
No year given... I strongly suspect 1939, due to the styles of the garments.

I like this flyer also due to the colorful illustrations and high quality paper... it has a kind of waxy finish.

KPPros1.jpg

KPPros3.jpg

KPPros4.jpg

KPPros2.jpg

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
The illustrations are sharp as well. The illustrator was really good at getting different types of fabric across. Much like Fellows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ