Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Getting dressed for a local Public Enemies premiere

vwguy

New in Town
Public Enemies was partially filmed in my town and those of us who were extras are having a premiere party including a viewing of the film & a reception afterwards. Most people, myself included, will be wearing (semi) period correct attire and I have a question on what to wear. I have a brown Fedora, either a dark gray or navy suit and brown, black or burgundy shoes & belt to wear. So, what are your thoughts on the best/most appropriate combo? Thanks for your help!

Brian

Edward

Bartender
I'd match the brown shoes to your brown fedora. Suit wise, it's only been in recent years that I've really come around to mixing blues and browns, but I'm a real fan now. The navy pinstripe would be my choice..... pics would help, though!

anon`

One Too Many
Edward said:
I'd match the brown shoes to your brown fedora. Suit wise, it's only been in recent years that I've really come around to mixing blues and browns, but I'm a real fan now. The navy pinstripe would be my choice..... pics would help, though!
Yes, yes! Brown shoes and a blue suit is just about my favourite colour combination these days, outside of black-and-white.

Seems like too many guys these days are terrified of that combination, so you'll stand out a bit more. But since it's so classy (and not clash-y), it's a good kind of standing out. In a way, it seems more "correct" from a vintage standpoint, though it probably isn't any more so than black shoes.

A nice rich brown leather is sort of to shoes what the navy tuxedo is to black tie, if you follow.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What you will look like to the general public

gangster-costume-suit.jpg

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
Having grown up living about 20 miles from his home in Mooresville, Indiana, where his parents farm still stood, Dillinger was very much a man of his times. I believe the farm is now gone, making way for the ever popular subdivision, but I remember it as a typical Indiana farm house. I look forward to the movie.

GallatinHatMan

One of the Regulars
I also read an interesting article on one of the scenes that will not be historically accurate, the Dillinger robbery of the Central Nation Bank & Trust in Greencastle, Indiana. I practiced regularly in Greencastle for about 7 years and the bank had been located on the Courthouse Square, the Southwest corner, as I recall. It went off without a shot being fired in real life, apparently because just before the gang entered the guard had left his cage above the entrance to stoke the furnace in the basement ans and the gang had come and gone before he got back to the main floor. I believe though in the movie this heist results in gun play. I believe that the OP's hometown in Wisconsin was used to simulate Greencastle at the time of the robbery.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widebrim
Gee, do you think that if he were "operating" today, Dilling-er would sport such an ensemble (topped off with a side-ways baseball cap, logo sticker intact)?:rolleyes:

Quote:
Originally posted by Feraud
I hate to admit this but yes.

Geesie said:
I disagree. He dressed as a man of his times and position dressed, a blue-collar worker. He wasn't some stupid kid.

I think you've got something there...

kuwisdelu

Familiar Face
Hello! I guess this is as good a place as any for a first post...

As a fellow Indianapolis-born farm boy like Mr. Dillinger, I'm quite excited for this movie. I'll be wearing my own version of Mr. Depp's suit from the movie.

Unfortunately, it's not true vintage. It's custom tailored from 12 oz. wool, fully canvased, and I tried to be as period-true as I could. The waistcoat is a bit too long and the rise in the trousers not quite high enough, but I'm very pleased with it. It's hard to find vintage out here in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Despite living in the middle of Dillinger country, I was disappointed to find out my local theatre won't be having a midnight premier or anything special. I suppose it's due to the college town emptying out for the summer.

Anyway, some (bad quality) pictures:

dillinger1.jpg

dillinger2.jpg

dillinger3.jpg

Not visible in the pictures, the shoes will be brown.

I'll probably leave the Thompson replica at home...

vwguy

New in Town
We went to the premiere last night, it was good, but I was expecting it to be better. Still we had a fun time, rented a H2 stretch limo, same myself twice in one scene and went a reception for extras after the movie. Here's pic from last night:

pep5-1.jpg

Brian

Geesie said:
I disagree. He dressed as a man of his times and position dressed, a blue-collar worker. He wasn't some stupid kid.
I thought he bought higher end clothes when he was in the money. However, being on the run would probably make the regular guy look for the time more attractive to fit in to the crowd.

Fletch said:

Spiv is a British word for a particular kind of petty criminal, who deals in stolen goods or fraudulent sales, especially a slickly-dressed man offering goods at bargain prices. The goods are generally not what they seem or have been obtained illegally. It was particularly used during the Second World War and in the Post-War rationing period for black-market dealers.

He thinks he's slickly dressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay