Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GFL - Guitar Friends Lounge

I'm still on bloody rookie level, let's say always exercising for fun at home, without any pressure.

A while ago, I had classic concert guitar. This was a horrible, huge and probably kind of low end piece and absolutely unplayable for me. With my short fingers, I wasted a real amount of time on this BS!

Ok, trying first chords was okay to, back then, but the fun of course didn't really came.

But now, I finally got an electric guitar (humbuckers) with a handy, small neck and THIS totally changed the thing for me!
Exercising over headphones, with the super nice chorus option active on the amplifier and already, the fun appeared! And I even started with plectrum and this time, it WORKS!

So now it seems, that this will be the real good basic for me to improve my exercising.

Neck pickup is just fun. Especially with chorus effect on the headphone amp.

Gimme synthy! :D:D:D

Attachments

• IMGP8204.JPG
    IMGP8204.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 360
But another question:

Loungers, how long are your fingers?

Whatever the experts say, I think, my short fingers are simply soft handicap on grabbing chords. Doesn't smaller the fun to exercise for me, but I just don't have these tentacle fingers, some people have. ;)

ES335

One of the Regulars
Neck pickup is just fun. Especially with chorus effect on the headphone amp.

Gimme synthy! :D:D:D
I'm glad you're having a good time, music will take you to places nothing else can or will. I played Blues/Rock/Slide guitar for 40-plus years and for the last 10+ years averaged about 40 gigs bar/club annually until arthritis claimed my left hand. I urge you to play as often as possible with others, also to play for live audiences. Nothing is better to focus you and not only improve your playing, but to raise your confidence level as well. You will never regret it. Good luck my friend.

ES335

One of the Regulars
But another question:

Whatever the experts say, I think, my short fingers are simply soft handicap on grabbing chords. Doesn't smaller the fun to exercise for me, but I just don't have these tentacle fingers, some people have. ;)
Check out anything on YouTube by Danny Gatton. I saw him many times, and he had very small hands and played vintage Telecasters with huge necks. Don't worry, just carry on.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
But another question:

Andres Segovia, said he had little sausage fingers, or words to that effect. Didn't seem to hurt him.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
I'm still on bloody rookie level, let's say always exercising for fun at home, without any pressure.

A while ago, I had classic concert guitar. This was a horrible, huge and probably kind of low end piece and absolutely unplayable for me. With my short fingers, I wasted a real amount of time on this BS!

Ok, trying first chords was okay to, back then, but the fun of course didn't really came.

But now, I finally got an electric guitar (humbuckers) with a handy, small neck and THIS totally changed the thing for me!
Exercising over headphones, with the super nice chorus option active on the amplifier and already, the fun appeared! And I even started with plectrum and this time, it WORKS!

So now it seems, that this will be the real good basic for me to improve my exercising.

What style of guitar playing are you trying to learn? There are a lot.

When I started playing as a teen I gravitated towards heavy blues rock like Jimi Hendrix & Robin Trower, Pat Travers and Frank Marino. Of course I was listening to the more straight-up rock stuff of the day as well, Van Halen, Montrose, etc.

I got into blues later and then much later jazz guitar. I really like Wes Montgomery, to me he IS jazz guitar. Also really dig Kenny Burrell.

My philosophy (lol) now, is if it has guitar I'll give it a listen. I may end up not liking it but I'll check it out.

I made a channel on Bitch Ute called Guitar Centric where I post stuff I like. https://www.bitchute.com/channel/p2bWW78zv5NW/ If something has guitar I like, regardless of style I'll post it.

I'll put up some pics of my current guitar (yes, I only have one ;-) when I dig out the hard drive with all my old pics on it. I've had some pretty cool guitars over the last 40 years, and I have the standard guitar player regret for selling most of them, lol.

cheers,

Last edited:

Tark

New in Town
Got a Larrivée D-03R and a Godin Kingpin II archtop myself. Started in summer 2019, stopped playing until around June of this year and have been at it since then. Mostly been focusing on covers of Russian songs but I do plan on getting into blues and jazz in the near future...gotta get that music theory down solid

cggjnnf.jpeg

jgmi7w1.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
But another question, always running through my head.

Bluesers on stage, do they usually use reverb?

A lot. Reverb is popular; if you get more into the rockabilly end of things, echo (a very, very short variation of delay) is also popular. (Not much difference between reverb and echo to the average ear, of course.)

I bought a bunch of new plecs, two days ago.

The Dunlop Jazz III is getting one of my favorites, actually. :)

That's the best way. Try 'em all, and you'll find what suits you quick. I discovered Dunlop Tortex picks very quickly. Start with .46s, later moved to .6, before finding I preferred the heavy 1mm. Use those for a few years then switched up to the 1.14mm for no reason other than that I preferred the colour. Been using those for well over a decade now.

Actually trying the small Dunlop "Jazz I" with rounded tip.

This seem to be really fun to exercise with! It just feels good in my fingers. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ