Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost stories please..

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Back about 1995, in a particularly low period in my life after the death of my Mother, I had an experience while drifting off to sleep that my long-deceased Dad was calling my name. As I came into consciousness, he said a few words as if he was standing right next to my bed. I got up and walked through the house as if I was going to actually find him there. It was deeply uncanny. I won't repeat the words he spoke to me here, because they've become my own private mantra. But it was a very "real" and moving experience for me. -dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is my 1947 edition of 'Grimms' which my dear old Aunt Helen game to me as a gift in 1958. I was four years old at the time. I still pull it out and read few at times. My all time favorite has always been, 'The Blue Light'. -dixon cannon

Grimms.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
A little while after my Grandmother who I was very close to passed away, I dreamed that I was chatting to her as I had often done whilst she was alive. We talked of alsorts of things, when it suddenly dawned on me and in the dream I said to her 'But Nana, how can I be talking to you? You died.' She laughed as she had always laughed in life and said 'Ah, I have my ways. I can come and see you if I like'.

At that point I was suddenly wide awake in the middle of the night. Nothing woke me, it was pitch black and silent and I am usually a very deep sleeper. This was my childhood bedroom where my Nana always stayed in the bed across from me when she came to us. I like to think she came to comfort me after she went. Strangely, I've never dreamed about her again that I recall, yet this stays with me clear as day. I often wish I could dream/talk with her again.

I had something very similar happen to me when a friend of mine passed away. I dreamed I was chatting with him and I told him "Josh, how can you be here? I know you've passed away." He replied "I know, I am dead. I wanted to let you know that I'm fine and happy where I am. Everything's okay."

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I have a recent ghost story. I have my great-great grandmother's dress from 1900-1910 era. On Saturday I put it on my dress form to get a nice photo of it. As soon as I brought it into the room my dog began to go bonkers! She began to prance around anxiously and started whimpering. I just blew it off as this big imposing human-like figure that was scaring her.

Next, my camera would not focus AT ALL for the first few pictures. It's never done this before, either. These are what the first few photos looked like:

36290_10151121447219164_120052495_n.jpg

When I put the dress away, my dog went back onto her bed. I didn't think anything of it until the next day.

m0nk

One Too Many
My parents owned an old farmhouse from the late 1700's. At first they would hear footsteps on occasion coming from upstairs, yet when they went to look, no one was ever there. After a while, they went into the attic, and opened a closet where they had put some old suits of my father's, and found an old wedding dress in there that they hadn't seen before. They removed the dress from the closet several times, but it always re-appeared in that closet. They eventually sold the house in favor of something they could manage better, getting on in their years, but they still talk about the ghost of the farmhouse.

Big Bertie

Familiar Face
This is not a personal story, but something I learned of at third hand. I have one or two ‘ghost stories’ of my own, but all a bit brief. However, besides ‘ghost stories’, there are various other inexplicable or paranormal phenomena, sometimes experienced by quite sceptical people.

I have to confess to having had a rather morbid childhood interest in disasters - I can’t explain it without sounding a bit odd, but there we are. Reports of railway crashes, motor racing accidents, aeroplane crashes, or other sudden disasters always had me rapt.

Looking into this a few years ago I learned of a study by the author J.B. Priestley in the early 1960s – he was very interested in preminition or precognition, where people have ‘seen’ or in some way experienced events before they have actually occurred. It seems he amassed a lot of evidence from people who had experienced this.

One letter received by him in 1963 describes a series of events that took place in early September 1952, and interested me.

In September 1952 the letter-writer and his wife were planning to drive home early from a holiday in Dorset to watch the Farnborough Air Show on the first public day, and then carry on home after the show was over. As they were driving from Dorset his wife told him that she did not want to go to the show. The night before she had experienced a vivid dream that one of the aircraft had exploded during its exhibition and crashed into the crowd. She described the plane as silver with swept-back wings. However he convinced her that it was just a dream, and that everything would be okay. They had already bought the tickets so she agreed to attend.

About half way through the show a new type of fighter plane, the de Havilland 110 came out, piloted by the famous test pilot John Derry. This plane took off ready for its display. As it flew past, David’s wife grabbed his arm and said “that’s the plane I saw in my dream – only it was silver not black”. Indeed this DH.110 was black. She felt very uneasy throughout the display but when the plane landed safely she was relieved.

They then travelled home to Welwyn. However the next day the evening papers carried the grim news that a DH.110 piloted by John Derry had crashed into the crowd, killing twenty-eight spectators. What was very odd was that the plane that crashed was, as his wife predicted, silver. It was not the machine that they had seen the day before. The black plane had been specially painted for the event but it had developed a fault on the Saturday morning. The first prototype was then used. This had not been painted and was still silver. John Derry had flown back to Hatfield to pick this reserve aircraft up and flew it back to Farnborough for the display.

This is an amazing precognition because it looked as if it was incorrect but then was shown to be uncannily accurate. In turn this dream was reported to somebody other than the dreamer before the accident took place.

The actual date was the 6th September 1952. The final death toll was 31 including the pilot.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it's just me but you can see what looks like a face in the window. In relation to the window the face looks far too big to be an actual person looking out of it.

roadtotulsa02auu8.jpg

Might just be me, but it looks like the upper part of a woman in night-wear? It looks like the face is partially covered by the bottom of the window bars, the the white is the upper chest, which then is covered by a black night-gown thing?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was working in our new house (built in the 1850s we think) and I was unscrewing the covering they had put over the original back stairs. I was taking the screws out with a screwdriver, when all of a sudden I smelt a really strong, old perfume. I stood up and looked around, because I thought our neighbor might have come over and was standing beside me. I had the side door open in the kitchen, she could have walked right in, and I might not have heard her knock because I was intensely concentrating on getting those stairs uncovered. I even called out to see if someone was there, even though I didn't see anyone. I went into the kitchen and looked out the door to see if anyone had come.

The smell was like the kind of perfume that came in the Victorian glass perfume bottles with the glass stoppers. When I went back to the stairs, I didn't smell it. I hadn't worn perfume in months, my clothes were freshly laundered, and most of the house smells of animal urine. I do have to say, it wasn't at all unfriendly, in fact, it felt more curious. But the smell was so strong it was like someone was standing right beside me.

I have since spent the night in the house and felt extremely safe (and that was with no electric or running water in a big old house). If it was something, it was a kind something.

Last edited:
This is getting to be like a Rohrshach Test. lol
Try as I might I just don't see the "woman." On further examination I see something a little different. I enhanced the pics and the pic to the right is what I now see.

roadtotulsa02auu8-1.jpg
WindowFace2-1.jpg

And below is a crude sketch of what I believe to be the anomaly.

WindowFace3-1.jpg

Whether it's a woman or just a face, any ideas as to who it might be? The dress does remind me a bit of the one worn by Bonnie Parker. In fact the roll of film containing that and many of the other now-famous images of the duo were recovered from the house.

DP-Bonnie-Parker-Bonnie-and-Clyde.jpg

Bonnie_Parker_BC10.jpg

Now let's examine the face: Could it be Clyde Barrow?

bilde

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Thats what I was thinking on the dress, but I was unsure.

It could be Clyde's.

I was messing around with the photo, and I got what looks like a gigantic face in the right window.

roadto10.png

I have been facinated w/ Bonnie and Clyde, ever since I saw the car they were killed in (not sure if it was the real one). Sadly, they moved it to a different location before I could bring my camera on a visit with me. It should be back here sooner or later though, so I will keep an eye out for it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, I believe I lived in a few "haunted" type places, very close to eachother as well. Growing up, I would always feel like I was being watched, and I could never sleep facing the edge of the bed. One day, while I was alone in the house, I walked to the kitchen, and the uneasyness of being watched seeped into my skin. I looked to the area where I felt the stare coming from, and saw what looked to be a misty white figure turn and sprint into the wall. No idea as to what I saw, but I was enough to make me leave for a day.

The other house I lived in was the same feelings. Same thing, being alone, the uneasyness began, and I could hear footsteps above me (in my fathers room). I was confused, and frightened, as they were very loud, and you could hear them changing from the different floor materials (carpet to tile, and back). I grabbed a knife, and slowly ascended the stairs, and it sounded leik the feet shifted from the room into the computer area, and towards my room. When I reached the top, there was nothing there. But as I searched, I heards footsteps downstairs. As I listened, I could hear both Male & Female voices, like a party was going on below. The voices continued, untill they, as well as the footsteps were creeping up the stairs. Right before the step where you would see the top of a persons ascending head, everything stopped.

Scared me senseless. The thing is, is that both were newer housing/apartments, so I have no idea as to why something like that could be happening. Sadly, I believe that it may start in the apartment I reside in, as I feel uneasy when I am home alone, and turn lights on like no tommorow, but I can credit that to the UFO that my Grandmother and I both withnessed one night floating over the complex. That's a different story though, that I don't like to talk about because, quite frankly, it scares the bejeebus out of me.

Last edited:
And if it is a woman in a dress, she looks a bit like Blanche Barrow (1911-1988), Clyde's sister-in-law who was married to his brother Buck. Perhaps she's acting as a lookout alerting the gang to the arrival of the police.

Buck_and_Blanche_FOIA_FBI.jpg

Last edited:

Hunter_aka_Scotty

One of the Regulars
I'll share a few of experiences my family has had, while no ghosts have been seen, SOMETHING weird is certainly going on. But first a little background on the house its self. The property dates back to the 1850s, way out in the country of Northern California. The house has been repeatedly added on to and built around what must have been a cabin at one time, though you would never guess it from either the outside or in. The evidence is in the walls. The house has various windows and doors walled up in the walls, one of the doors even has wooden hinges and a wooden door knob. I was born and raised in this home my parents had purchased it several years before I was born from an ailing man who turns out was a veteran of WW2, Korea and Vietnam and suffered greatly from Emphysema.

One night when I was about 8 years old, my parents both awake reading in bed heard three loud distinct knocks on their bedroom door, to which they said "Come in!" when neither my sister or I entered the room, they instantly assumed they had a sick child in the bathroom and both got up to check and found the bathroom empty. They then went and checked on both my sister and I who were soundly asleep. Wondering if the had some how been mistaken they then checked both the front and back doors and found no one on the property.

Another instance happened while I was home alone at age 14. My parents had gone out on a date and my sister was out with friends, being a fairly solitary person I was enjoying myself to no ends and reading a book on the couch with the cat sleeping in my lap. Very abruptly the sound of a man coughing, hacking and choking came from the hallway of the house loud enough that it woke and startled the cat who stared at the hallway entry in panic. I sat on the couch terrified thinking that some one had some how gotten on the property with out my hearing (way out in the country you hear cars coming and such. It's very quiet.) and the dog out side having no reaction. After a long silence and gathering the courage to get off the couch I poked my head into the hallway and saw that all was dark and empty. I got into my parents bedroom, locked the door and called them from their bedroom phone. They called the police while I sat on the phone with them. My parents showed up a little after the police arrived and nothing and no one was ever found.

Years later, my then girlfriend (now wife) spent the night there and every morning would tell me that she was extremely uncomfortable in the end bedroom and felt that there was an "angry presence" there. She summed it up to just having bad dreams and I made no mention of the previous experiences there. Some time later, she awoke in the bedroom to see a figure she thought was me say to her "You don't love me any more." to which she replied "Honey! Why would you say that?" the figure then turned and walked through the closed door. She right away jumped out of bed and came running down the hall and into the front room to find me soundly asleep on the couch, woke me up and told me the story.

I remember as a child always feeling extreme discomfort to flat out terror of the hallway and end bedroom in that house. But until recently piecing these happenings together in my head I always had just summed it up to childhood fear of the dark.

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Part 1. So, this is a LONG ONE, but it's been going on for a long time....

My house was built in the late 50s in the Hollywood Hills and was later moved to the Valley in the early 60s, when grandfather bought the house at a very low price for such a luxurious and beautiful house. It was weird anyway for a modern and luxurious home to be moved to a barely developed nowhere neighborhood. My family have been here since.

When my grandfather was nearing the end of his life, he began to see things, namely my grandmother, and a small girl who he would become agitated at the sight of and wave away saying things like "Get away, you're gone!". I saw her once myself, though barely as she was so ephemeral; a little blond girl with her hair in curls and bows, wearing a pinafore. We however were not alone in our unusual experiences in the house; my aunt and father have also experienced oddity here as well as nearly anyone who has stayed the night. My aunt heard voices here since she was younger, and saw an Indian man standing at the corner of her bed watching her, and whenever he would appear all that she could hear would be a gusting wind blowing, drowning out all other sound and she wouldn't be able to move or breath until she'd hear a finger snap and everything would be gone. I got the house as part of my inheritance from grandfather and I moved in. There weren't any beds except my dad's cot in his old room. When I laid down with my dog to rest on the mattress which was my dad's, I felt as if I were being watched but was suddenly so tired that I immediately fell asleep. I woke up later in a cold sweat and my dog was huddled in the corner whimpering and watching the ceiling in the opposite corner of the room and was very frightened. The feeling of being watched had greatly increased and I left immediately. When I first moved in, about a week after the oddness with my dog, and before I could move over my bed from my old place, I moved over my father's cot from his old corner room, into my room (my aunt's old room) and I slept on it. Things were fine for about a month until one night I awoke to see the silhouette of a tall man standing in the doorway to my bathroom, there's a bathroom attached to my bedroom and a door leading out from the bathroom into the entrance hall by the front-door. The man was standing with arms bowed, hands on hips, head lowered, and seemed Very angry, he radiated menace and malice. The man pointed at me and I blinked and he disappeared. What was worse was that the man appeared to be composed entirely of shadow even though there was a bright light behind him and a bright light next to him. Worse than that was that after I blinked, the man was gone and when I looked, the door was closed, but unlocked. It was always locked, and the light in the bathroom was still on, which it also never was. About two days later, and this is the most terrifying part, I was laying in bed and hands began to form out of the mattress and massage my body at first I thought it was a dream as it was so absurd but it didn't feel bad and was actually soothing, until the hands began to gouge and claw at me and try to pull me into the bed and I shrieked and jumped off the bed and watched as the hands very sinuously melted back into the bed. My body hurt so I went to check myself the mirror and I noticed that my entire body from my ankles to my neck was gouged as if I by claws and I was bleeding. I ran out of the room and didn't sleep the rest of the night. Next morning I threw the cot in the trash. After this, I had nightmares in which a massive presence chased me through rooms of the places where I'd lived and it would rush at me and grab me by the neck and throttle me and though it didn't speak or make sound or have form I could see it is as if it did and it had the form of a large man-like thing and it would gloat over me and taunt me as if I could hear it's thoughts it strangled me and lifted my feet off of the ground and stopped me from calling out or even making sound and I'd struggle until I'd awaken and I'd have large hand prints on my neck. The worst of the strangulation dreams was one in my back hallway; I was walking about the house and heard something frying in the kitchen, like eggs and when I went in there were eggs on the stove and I felt such an inexplicable horror and revulsion at it that I still can't shake the image from my mind. After I went to the kitchen, I heard my dog whimpering and ran to her, and found her in the back hallway and she was being held up by the throat and throttled as I'd been before and I ran over shouting at the shadow thing which was also the incorporeal thing and threw myself at it to force it to release my dog and she was thrown back against the corner of the side hall which leads to the other bathroom off the master bedroom and lay unconscious and it began to throttle me until I managed to shout out "God!" and was dropped and awoke to find my neck severely sore and with bruising all over it and when I went to check on my dog, she was whimpering and my mother could not figure out why as she'd suddenly begun to whimper in the night. The shadow things hunted me for some time. I was standing in the back-yard one night, and my older brother slept in a tent in the backyard instead of in the house. He'd pitched a tent in the back of the yard near a jacaranda tree in the middle of the yard the way the tent was set up, you'd have to walk round about a trestle picnic table and the jacaranda which was parallel to the house, to come to the path to the house which was 20 ft away. I was waiting on the other side of the tent one evening chivying him to go so we could see a show when I saw "him" push aside the tent flaps and walk around the table and tree towards me and just as "he" reached me, my real brother exited the tent and said "Alright, alright already! I'm coming, stop pestering me!" and this happened just as the shadow thing rounded the tree at which it bolted directly past my face and straight into the wall of the neighbor's garage which forms part of the separating wall between our two yards and as the shadow man reached the wall it ran directly into it and it melted and splashed into the shadows which blanketed it. My brother saw this too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo