Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost stories please..

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Does anyone have any good ghost stories that they could share?

Also, Im not sure how to make a link to an old thread, but I found this one:

"Do Estate Sale Ghosts Ever Want Their Things Back?" I wouldnt mind reinstating this one!

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Here are some very good short stories - a lot of them are contained in The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories:
"The Cicerones" by Robert Aikman
"Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to you, My Lad" by M.R. James
"For the Blood is the Life" by Francis Marion Crawford
"The Bottle of 1912" by Simon Raven.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Mountain Man said:
Here are some very good short stories - a lot of them are contained in The Oxford Book of English Ghost Stories:
"The Cicerones" by Robert Aikman
"Oh, Whistle and I'll Come to you, My Lad" by M.R. James
"For the Blood is the Life" by Francis Marion Crawford
"The Bottle of 1912" by Simon Raven.

Thanks Mountain man - I was thinking more along the lines of personal ghost stories that we might have heard or even ghosts that we have experienced ourselves.
I only have boring ones, but I am very keen to get the hairs on the back of my neck sticking up by other forum members!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Me being the foolish dame that I am, when the guy I'm talking to expressed interest in going on a ghost hunt, I had my hundred dollars paid in no time flat.

(hey, it worked. Any girl that would stay all night in an eighteen hundreds insane asylum just to spend time with a fellow deserves a second chance)

That being said...

http://trans-alleghenylunaticasylum.com/

This is where we went. We paid one hundred dollars and were locked in from 10pm until 5am.

l_24888b75b2644a2abac20dcdda0025a4.jpg

This is me (excuse my horrible modern attire) I'm holding rods that are used to communicate with. You ask the spirits to cross them for yes, or un-cross them for no. In this picture I was sitting in the "Love Room" you can see the word "Love" worn into the floor. I was talking to a 12 year old girl from the 1800's

It was a blast. I did get pretty freaked out towards the end of the night. We had sat down for a session and the spirits in the hallway did NOT want us there. So we left. Trying to get find the guide, and exit the floor, we got twisted around and ended up back in that hallway. The fellow I was with and I got very nervous, it felt like the darkness and hallway was closing in on us, and there were people all around. We pretty much ran out of the section and down to the break room. Turns out, everyone had gone downstairs for coffee, and we had been absolutely alone.

Pretty fun time. lol

PB271309.jpg

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Oh my gosh Caity Lynn that is such a cool story!
I worked in an 1800's lunatic asylum for a year in Ireland and got pretty scared at times there, but only had one real experience ( the door bell ringing in a locked corridor) but there were oodles of stories about dead patients - punching alive nurses, a beast in a corridor, footsteps out of the mortuary etc. I have some photos of the place that I may try and post at some stage.
They are awesomly atmospheric places arent they?
You must have really liked the guy!!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
lol, I do really like the guy :D

and it was truly an amazing time. My parents put up with my ranting about it. I've been there twice now. Once on a school trip,once over night. I had quite a few sessions and talked to only people from the 1800's (my friends always say I was born in the wrong time)

There is a male presence in the Kitchen that hates men. However, the fellow I was with wanted me to talk with the guy. I refused, but managed to be talked into it. I was standing in the entrance and asked if he would allow the guys to join me. He said NO. The kitchen is in the oldest section and is TERRIFYING. I barely could stand in it. It made me SO nervous. I hated it. I didn't stay talking to the man for more than a minuet.

We had a brief encounter with a female patient named Ruthie, who hates men. She would talk to me, but I didn't want to leave the boys alone in the hallway for long so our conversation was short.

I got the feeling there were people in the auditorium but they were too shy to speak.

Aaron, a few times, I would say"if you're here, we'd like to be your friend, give Aaron a handshake" and two people did.

The little girl I was talking to in the picture wanted me to stay all night with her. I really want to go back and bring her a doll or some candy. She was a sweetheart. Before I left I asked her to give us a hug, Aaron felt it. I talked to the people but couldn't feel them, however, I was carrying quartz. For protection. So that may have hindered them. [huh] I'd encourage everyone to do something like this. It's definitely something to talk about.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
A kindly old pastor (RIP) we use to work with down in New Mexico had an experience with a demon.

When he was younger he was exercising a spirit from a Navajo woman one evening with a group of her relatives. It was a violent spirit and had things to her.
They'd been exercising for several hours until it eventually came out. He was standing in front of her when it came out and he said it felt like he was standing face to face with Satan. He couldn't describe the feeling very well, it was just a rabid and uncontrollable horror. The next morning his dark hair had turned gray. He rarely spoke of this and never at night.

The other side is not to be taken lightly

mike

Call Me a Cab
Claireg said:
Oh my gosh Caity Lynn that is such a cool story!
I worked in an 1800's lunatic asylum for a year in Ireland and got pretty scared at times there, but only had one real experience ( the door bell ringing in a locked corridor) but there were oodles of stories about dead patients - punching alive nurses, a beast in a corridor, footsteps out of the mortuary etc. I have some photos of the place that I may try and post at some stage.
They are awesomly atmospheric places arent they?
You must have really liked the guy!!

Whoa! How did you get back to 2010?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Back in 1986, when my little neighborhood was being built, a murder was committed on what would later become my property. Some drug dealers killed a snitch, decapitated him and threw his head into the river. Of course, I knew about the murder when I was negotiating to purchase my house in 1998...heck, everyone in our community knows about it...but I really loved the place and I wanted a home on the water...so I bought the house anyway.

Since then, a few strange things have happened here that might make even a skeptic puzzle as to whether I share my property with a ghost...but I've never been much concerned about ghosts or ghost stories, so I've paid those happenings little mind.

This past October, I decided to make some Halloween decorations to go on my trees down by the river. When I had finished, my girlfriend Jackie took some photos to send to her family in Milwaukee. Within minutes of e-mailing the photos, we received a message back from Jackie's sister-in-law, telling us that one of the pictures had badly "creeped her out". I was puzzled as to how my silly, plywood eyes could have "creeped out" a fortyish, well-educated nurse like Karen. But then I looked more closely at the picture. Please check out the headless, whispy figure to my left, on the other side of the tree. And understand that Karen...in Wisconsin...knew nothing about the events that took place on my property in 1986.

spookyeyes007-1.jpg

AF

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
^Bugger, I don't see it.

Friends of mine took this pic while camping back in 2005.
originaledited-1.jpg

Here it is brightened a bit.
creepypic-1.jpg

I'm told it's a camera goof in a low-light situation and I don't doubt it, but it's still creepy.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
Please check out the headless, whispy figure to my left, on the other side of the tree.
spookyeyes007-1.jpg

AF

It's a reflection on the water from what I'm guessing is the house across the river. If you look up directly above, you see some of it peeking through your trees.

tuppence

Practically Family
I lived with a poltergeist for a couple of weeks when I was young.
I still get spooked in the dark sometimes, I can't watch ghost shows at night. And always sleep with a blanket on me(even if it is the hottest night in a hundred years).

HoundstoothLuke

Familiar Face
thunderw21 said:
^Bugger, I don't see it.

Friends of mine took this pic while camping back in 2005.
originaledited-1.jpg

Here it is brightened a bit.
creepypic-1.jpg

I'm told it's a camera goof in a low-light situation and I don't doubt it, but it's still creepy.

Even creepier, your friend's faces have been stolen.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn: that's a creepy story, thanks for sharing. I don't know what it means, but when I was a kid, I had a very strong fear of asylums. This was so much to the point that I used to have dreams about being trapped in one, and trying to escape while being chased by someone. I don't have those anymore, as they stopped around my early teen years. Still, I find asylums curious.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:
It's a reflection on the water from what I'm guessing is the house across the river. If you look up directly above, you see some of it peeking through your trees.

Mike, I like to think it’s a reflection, too. But when one enlarges the photo and zooms onto the "figure"...it’s "feet" appear to extend into the grass. Give it a try and see what you think. Also, there are no structures of any kind across the river from me...only flat, Eastern North Carolina farm land.

AF

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
In 2008 I was sent to permanent personnel with 3rd Battalion 25th Marines (so I was one of the few active duty members among a reserve unit) it was nice because I was in Columbus Ohio and was able to live in my hometown (about 30 minutes east of Columbus) my brother who still lived there and I took over my parents former home as they had retired to the south. Now for two 20 somethings this was a big house so we took in 3 roommates that we had gone to high school with. It was basically like a fraternity house, 5 guys, a 25 room house, many parties did happen. Well after a while some weird things started to happen, alot of people on summer nights would hear what we called "The Ghost Truck" in which you would see the head lights of a vehicle enter the driveway and then drive up the drive way (we had a gravel driveway that went up the side of the house and to the back with no exit in the back) It would drive past, you would see the headlights and taillights and then disappear behind the house. Almost everyone who has spent a significant amount of time at the house has experienced it.

After a while more strange things began to happen, lights would turn on and off, a roommate woke up one morning to someone standing over him only for that someone to vanish in the blink of an eye. All of my roommates woke up one night to someone running up and down the back staircase very early one morning (I didnt wake up because I had a fan next to my head in my room that drowned out the sound)

A paranormal investigation team came to the house and did an investigation and I was with them the entire time for the investigation. Now before the team arrived my mother came up with the idea that it was grandma and grandpa looking in after me and my brother, which I thought was a lame idea and didnt tell the paranormal team. Well they said the first thing they got was in the driveway by their psychic who said she "Got the feeling of an elderly woman just there to check on her boys" which was really weird, as I had not told them about what my mother had said. During the investigation, doors rattled, lights flickered on and off, shadows were seen that couldnt be explained, it was freaky, and I was with them the entire time to witness it for myself.

It wasnt long after that, that I had gotten orders for a different clime and place, and my brother and I sold the house. But definitely some memories in that house I will never forget that turned me into a believer.

Now my whole life I have had a kind of 6th sense, where I would get the feeling that I am not alone and that someone is near me to say the least. Whether I can truly feel the spirits of those before us around me or am just a little paranoid I do not know. I do know the feeling changes, whether it feels like someone is there and is friendly, or someone is there and doesnt want me to be there. Odd I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails