Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost stories please..

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Caity Lynn said:
Me being the foolish dame that I am, when the guy I'm talking to expressed interest in going on a ghost hunt, I had my hundred dollars paid in no time flat.

(hey, it worked. Any girl that would stay all night in an eighteen hundreds insane asylum just to spend time with a fellow deserves a second chance)

That being said...

http://trans-alleghenylunaticasylum.com/

This is where we went. We paid one hundred dollars and were locked in from 10pm until 5am.

l_24888b75b2644a2abac20dcdda0025a4.jpg

This is me (excuse my horrible modern attire) I'm holding rods that are used to communicate with. You ask the spirits to cross them for yes, or un-cross them for no. In this picture I was sitting in the "Love Room" you can see the word "Love" worn into the floor. I was talking to a 12 year old girl from the 1800's

It was a blast. I did get pretty freaked out towards the end of the night. We had sat down for a session and the spirits in the hallway did NOT want us there. So we left. Trying to get find the guide, and exit the floor, we got twisted around and ended up back in that hallway. The fellow I was with and I got very nervous, it felt like the darkness and hallway was closing in on us, and there were people all around. We pretty much ran out of the section and down to the break room. Turns out, everyone had gone downstairs for coffee, and we had been absolutely alone.

Pretty fun time. lol

PB271309.jpg
That's a fantastic story. I would like to do something like that one day. Last summer I attempted to enter an abandoned mental asylum where I live (built in the 1800s) but failed, at least without destroying the wood boarding up the windows which I didn't really want to do.

Here's the possibly haunted place I wanted to go in:
StGeorges.jpg

And here's me looking for ghosts:
MeatStGeorges.jpg

The only problem with me is that I'm a strong sceptic of anything supernatural for two reasons: I'm British and I have an extremely logical mind where I always try to find a rational reason for everything. But my narrowmindedness is what makes me so fascinated by these things.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
The only problem with me is that I'm a strong sceptic of anything supernatural for two reasons: I'm British and I have an extremely logical mind where I always try to find a rational reason for everything. But my narrowmindedness is what makes me so fascinated by these things.

Thats great!
I just love ghost stories and am so keen to hear peoples stories as it is so fascinating, specially when someone who was a sceptic or really down to earth experiences something.
My ex neighbour is 80 and used to be a farmers wife - really salt of the earth type - however she sees sprits all the time and they come and tell her when someone is about to or has just died. She was on the loo once and someone ran through her!

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Claireg said:
Thats great!
I just love ghost stories and am so keen to hear peoples stories as it is so fascinating, specially when someone who was a sceptic or really down to earth experiences something.
My ex neighbour is 80 and used to be a farmers wife - really salt of the earth type - however she sees sprits all the time and they come and tell her when someone is about to or has just died. She was on the loo once and someone ran through her!
I've never had any interesting ghost stories happen to me but I'm waiting. I just think that I'd probably try to logically explain them if I saw them though, since I'm just too boring a character to believe in anything strange. As Sherlock Holmes says in The Sussex Vampire: "The world is big enough for us. No ghosts need apply."

The only thing I remember was the ghost of a cleaner which supposedly haunts the main building of my school (it was a Victorian manor house) which opens and closes doors at random. However all supernatural theories were dispelled when the maths teacher calmy explained that "It's just the draft. If you open and close all the windows nothing happens."

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shortly after my sister passed away due to spine cancer :eek: I was sleeping in her room at my parents' house.

I was woken up from my nap when the light went on in her room. No one turned it on! I asked my mother in the kitchen. No one had been upstairs for hours.

My eldest brother later claimed that the lights in that room, in fact all the electricity in my parents' house, was janky and turned on and off sometimes when the heater went on ....

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
some strange things happened around me the time I was 15, not ghosts or anything, just really wierd and freaky things.

I should add that I don't really believe in ghosts, but I do think our subconsiousness works in mysterious ways.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:

1: I was at home with a friend of mine after school, we are sitting in the kitchen listening to a cd. My parents music system is the B&O one, so you have a cd player in one room and it is connected to other B&O link speakers. The cd player is in the livingroom, which is in the next room. over the music a very loud and aggrassive male laugh is heard, as if it is on the cd. You can tell if it is coming from a person in the room or from the speakers. We played the cd back many times without it ever happening again.

2: I think it is called cubby holes when you have small spaces behind the walls out towards the main walls? Anyway, on the small door to the cubby hole in my room, I would hear a knocking sometimes, always twice in a row, just when I was on the verge of sleep. It could have been myself who did it.

3: We were to get a new boy in our class and our teacher comes up to th class, which is sitting in the back of the schoolbus, I am having my earphones on, but the music is switched of. I am sure she is saying 'his name is Ulrik' since I am looking at her speaking and right after a kid asks 'what is his name?' to which I reply annoyed 'she just said it is Ulrik!'. The teacher says (and all other 15 students) say she didn't say his name, but I was correct.

4: I take pictures of my classmates and sometimes if they were many in the picture, some limbs would be missing. It isn't obvious unless you really go over the photo and think to where the limbs could be (behind other people etc) and rule that out.

wierd and slightly strange stuff, but nothing really ghostly. And nothing has happened since.

Mountain Man

A-List Customer
Claireg said:
Thanks Mountain man - I was thinking more along the lines of personal ghost stories that we might have heard or even ghosts that we have experienced ourselves.
I only have boring ones, but I am very keen to get the hairs on the back of my neck sticking up by other forum members!

Well, I do have one personal "ghost story". My wife and I bought a house in 1988 in Waynesville, North Carolina and we still own it but don't live in it anymore. The house was built in 1909, and is still known in the neighborhood as "the Underwood House".

From the first week we stayed there, we noticed noises at various times - sometimes in the day and sometimes at night. It almost always sounded just like a fairly heavy person walking upstairs with a measured, regular tread as if he or she were pacing off a certain distance. At first I thought it was my wife, and she thought it was me, until we were both in the parlor together and heard it. We then thought it might be the cat, but she was curled up on the hearth. At times it was so distinct that I would run upstairs with a pistol in hand to see who was walking back and forth - but I never saw anything or any evidence that anyone had been there.

This continued for several years until we just accepted it. There was never any other manifestation of "the presence" - no odd sights, smells, or sensations - just the sound of walking feet that we could hear occasionally.

Around 1993, we decided one Christmas to have an "Open House" for the holidays, and spruced the old place up, with a different Christmas tree in every room, and Victorian decorations, holly and ivy, etc., hung throughout. We invited family, friends, colleagues, neighbors and Church members. One of the guests was the late Father Thomas Stott of St. John's Catholic Church in Waynesville.

When the Padre dropped by, he graciously offered to bless our house and we accepted his offer. He donned his stole, and prepared a crucifix, a cup of holy water, and a sprig of evergreen. He then went from room to room, sprinkling the windows and thresholds with holy water and reciting Latin phrases as he walked. All of the guests watched on, and joined in prayer at the conclusion.

A few weeks later, my wife asked me if I had noticed anything odd since our open house. I shrugged and she asked whether I had ever heard the footsteps upstairs again - indeed I had not - and neither of us has ever heard them again in the Underwood House.

I mentioned this to Father Stott, and he told me that the blessing of a house includes the ancient rite of exorcism. Did the Padre release a restless spirit? Or did the old house just finish "settling". I don't know - I am a Protestant myself, and have never experienced anything else that I could honestly call "supernatural". Can't help of thinking of Hamlet's words "There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Claireg

One of the Regulars
Darhling, there is a train of thought that says teenagers have more of a liklihood of strange happenings - something to do with puberty etc, poltergeists apparently usually only appear to teens.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Us and the Queen.

One night late 2008 my girlfriend and I went to the Queen Mary. I have a friend who's a technician at the Griffith Observatory and also does ghost tours at the Queen Mary. He said he'd be happy to take us around the ship one night since Ashley never had been to the 1st class pool.

We meet up with our friend and he takes us down. Andrew (our friend) and I are showing her around the pool... she begins to shake and becomes very uneasy about the whole thing. I wanted to show her the shower/changing rooms behind the far wall at the other end of the pool; that's where there's said to be the strongest paranormal energy.

She wouldn't come in... Andrew and I were both back there with nothing more than the light from an LCD screen on his cell phone. She snaps a photo of me as I'm going further into the changing room area.

l_c47cff5586784fda99b329a5a436e00d.jpg

Notice the small blur hiding inside my coat. Not a typical camera dust flare here, it's actually IN my coat! And it's not transparent as dust flares are.

The Queen Mary is pretty special and has so much history it's hard for it to not be haunted... and for all those skeptics out there, I only used photoshop to turn this image to black and white. A color image I have on my other PC and will post it later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Story two:

While in Redland's visiting a good friend of mine a few years ago, a buddy and myself were up late at our friend's house and we decided to retire. Our friend is Josh Curtis, the collector and author of "Sun Kissed". We were staying in the back room where he has a bed and many plastic bins of vintage clothing in storage. A stack of three was in the corner next to a dress on display. My buddy and I were just falling asleep when two of the top bins toppled over and knocked over the dress form and made quite a clatter. Josh came in and started chewing us out for making noise... we both told him that we didn't do anything... that it fell over by its self! He started to laugh and wished us a good night in the same room that Clyde Barrow's suit hangs! :eek:

I have another story from Redlands, I'll share it later.

In 1994 I was selling at the Great Western Gun Show at the Fairplex in Pomona. One of the highlights of the Great Western Show was the costume contest which was held on the Sunday of the show. I couldn't get away from my table at the time so I gave my camera to a friend and asked him to take some pics of the costume contest. One of the pics he took was of a Civil War re-enactor. I looked at the pic years later and noticed something really creepy that I didn't originally notice. In the pic was what looked like a tiny, transparent gargoyle-like creature that appeared to be either sitting on the man's head or popping up behind it. To give the picture an even more bizarre dimension the re-enactor was a dwarf.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
The radio:

In 2006, I was visiting my buddy Josh in Redlands. I had made a copy of the CBS Sept 21st 1939 radio broadcast I received from another member here… Since it’s an entire day’s broadcast, we only listened to the first part of the broadcast. It got late and then we both retired. I spent the night on the couch vs. driving home at 3am. I go to sleep only to be woken up early in the morning by the sounds of that broadcast playing LOUD! I looked around and didn’t see anyone… I saw a light coming from my buddy’s room, and figured he played a joke on me and turned on that CD and blasted it! He came out and was asking me why I’m listening to that show when I should be sleeping… I answered that I didn’t turn it off, and insisted that he turned it on to get my goat! Well, after he swore that he didn’t do it, I asked him what time it was, he said it was 6:10am… no sooner he said the time, the announcer on the broadcast paused and gave the time: (Chime) The time is now 6:10am. Our eyes got as big as saucers! I said: This broadcast starts at 6am… that machine must have turned its self on exactly at 6am!

I didn’t turn it off, I just turned the volume way down… I figured whatever wanted to hear it, wanted to hear it and I’d let it be… I left it playing into the afternoon… the station would pause and give the time… always just a minute or so around what my watch said!

So, a DVD player turned on and hit play all by its self… in the past, the TV and VCR in the back room at his house has been known to turn on all by its self too.

Claireg

One of the Regulars
I have been perusing the old threads and found this post..

"I believe that there are presences in some places, though I've never come across one. I have, however, encountered memories.

Has anyone here felt a memory? I can't really explain it, but there is no presence involved. For example, in houses, you can feel (not always) whether a room has happy or sad memories. Sometimes you can even feel how these memories were made. I can even feel this in not-so-old houses."

I have a story that fits in with this..

I live in NZ as you know. Before us whiteys came along the maori had the place all to themselves.
They lived in tribal groups often by the sea so they could see war parties coming to attack them.
my favourite beach - Tawharanui was the home of a large group of people and it was a sought after site by many other tribes, and consequently suffered lots of takeovers.
We used to camp there a few years ago, the campsite had the beach on one side and two small hills on the other. In between was a tiny valley.
I was exploring on my own and went into this valley. Before me was an old tree (puriri tree, these are quite sacred trees). I got to the tree and felt like something was saying STOP. I didnt...

I came round the corner and saw a small grove of trees behind the hill, it was so so still, no bird noise, no wind and like a muffled feeling.
As I tried to walk into the grove I almost physically couldnt and I had the most overwhelming sense of sorrow and then abject terror, and a feeling that I was not allowed there.
All I could do was sit down. Then I started to sob and sob and couldnt stop.
(not normal for me I promise!!)
I knew that something terrible had happened there.
My best guess is that an attacking tribe had cornered the victims in this valley and slaughtered them.
I took my mums best friend( who is a bit psychic) there out of interest and didnt tell her where I had felt the feelings.
She walked up the valley and got to the tree and stopped still.
She said "I hear Waiata "( wailing type of singing).
Then she walked round the hill and said - I cant go in there. She walked backwards and the singing stopped when she got to the tree.

I took my son for a walk another time and we came to the general area. He was about 6. He stopped and said - we cant walk through there mum, and made me walk another way ( I again hadnt told him about it)
Just a year ago we saw some birds in the trees there and he said "I think they are the souls of the people who died and they are staying here"

A couple of years ago a special carving was placed at the park ,i could never find out why, but since then there has been a discernable difference in the feeling of the place and I can now walk through it.

Completley unexplainable in my books.

I also had a similar experince in Ireland at the hill of Tara. I was alone exploring, trying to find the famous fairy tree.
I walked down one side of the hill under a huge Oak tree and froze. I got the overwhelming feeling that I was in grave danger - like i would imagine you would feel if you realised there was someone following you about to do you harm. I was terrified and ran out from under the tree - immediatly in front of me was strange earth ditches.
Who knows what they were, but something didnt want me there.

OOOO.. getting chills just writing this!!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Feeling memories? Oh sure, all the time!

One I recall at the moment is when I was in Germany a few years ago. I was visiting a friend and her family in Wesel… one night they all had plans and left me alone in their house. Their house is a lovely older place, built in the 1820s, It has a barn in the back and is bookend by other homes as is the standard German/European style. I felt like going for a little walk and look around the neighborhood. Well, I did and it was dark out already, and a fog had rolled in off the Rein River which was only a few blocks away. As I walked from the house, it was perfectly quiet… only the sounds of my foot steps were heard.

As I walked through the fog and saw very little cars parked on the road and an occasional street lamp, I felt as if it was 1944 and I was almost expecting to see a storm trooper with a German Sheppard standing smoking a cigarette or something… I almost could hear hob nails on cobblestone… History was everywhere around me and it was speaking to me… very eerie to say the least.

Thunderbolt

One of the Regulars
I mean no disrespect to my fellow service members, it is just a shared experience of mine that could be interpreted as a "ghost story". When I was in Afghanistan at Bagram Airfield, my fellow Airmen and I were out on the flightline doing our work of airfield repair. We share similar experiences of thinking we saw somebody behind us in DCU's (desert camo uniform). Only problem is at the time 90% of Air Force personell were wearing ABU's (grayish green color) in Afghanistan and all the Army were wearing their ACU's (also grayish green). You could "feel" somebody behind you and you see in your extreme periferal(sp) vision they're wearing the colors of desert uniform (brown and tan), but when you turn around, they're not there. This was durring the day as well as night. In the begining of operations in Afghanistan in 2001, most personel were wearing DCU's. Ghost story or not, this is what I saw.

Miss Dizzy Dame

Familiar Face
Forgotten Man said:
One night late 2008 my girlfriend and I went to the Queen Mary. I have a friend who's a technician at the Griffith Observatory and also does ghost tours at the Queen Mary. He said he'd be happy to take us around the ship one night since Ashley never had been to the 1st class pool.

We meet up with our friend and he takes us down. Andrew (our friend) and I are showing her around the pool... she begins to shake and becomes very uneasy about the whole thing. I wanted to show her the shower/changing rooms behind the far wall at the other end of the pool; that's where there's said to be the strongest paranormal energy.

She wouldn't come in... Andrew and I were both back there with nothing more than the light from an LCD screen on his cell phone. She snaps a photo of me as I'm going further into the changing room area.

l_c47cff5586784fda99b329a5a436e00d.jpg

Notice the small blur hiding inside my coat. Not a typical camera dust flare here, it's actually IN my coat! And it's not transparent as dust flares are.

The Queen Mary is pretty special and has so much history it's hard for it to not be haunted... and for all those skeptics out there, I only used photoshop to turn this image to black and white. A color image I have on my other PC and will post it later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Story two:

While in Redland's visiting a good friend of mine a few years ago, a buddy and myself were up late at our friend's house and we decided to retire. Our friend is Josh Curtis, the collector and author of "Sun Kissed". We were staying in the back room where he has a bed and many plastic bins of vintage clothing in storage. A stack of three was in the corner next to a dress on display. My buddy and I were just falling asleep when two of the top bins toppled over and knocked over the dress form and made quite a clatter. Josh came in and started chewing us out for making noise... we both told him that we didn't do anything... that it fell over by its self! He started to laugh and wished us a good night in the same room that Clyde Barrow's suit hangs! :eek:

I have another story from Redlands, I'll share it later.

THAT CLYDE BARROW suit is haunted!

JennyLou

Practically Family
I'm enjoying reading all the stories. I had never had any paranormal or unexplained experiences happen to me. Thank you, everyone for sharing with us.

Miss Dizzy Dame said:
THAT CLYDE BARROW suit is haunted!

This pic was originally posted at Dismuke's Message Board a few years ago. It's the house in Joplin, MO which was used as a hideout by Bonnie and Clyde. It was also the scene of a shootout between police and the Barrow Gang that left two police officers dead.

Maybe it's just me but you can see what looks like a face in the window. In relation to the window the face looks far too big to be an actual person looking out of it.

roadtotulsa_02a.jpg

roadtotulsa02auu8.jpg

detail

http://www.radiodismuke.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1186&st=0

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:

Forgotten Man, my Grandpop served in WWII and was shipped over to New Guinea on the Queen Mary... Grandpop said it had lots of secret passages for the waiters to travel quickly through the ship--Lots of places for the spooks to hide I bet! I would love to visit the Queen Mary some day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails