Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ghost stories please..

ThemThereEyes

One of the Regulars
My mother told me that when I was an infant, we lived in a tiny rental home in Pensacola. She said she saw a woman in a yellow nightgown that haunted that place.
When I lived in an apartment with just my cat, she would sometimes jerk up her head and intently stare, wide-eyed at something I couldn't see. She would eventually relax and go back to whatever she had been doing. I would look for insects, initially figuring she must've spotted a winged plaything. But there was no insect, nothing other than the painted wall or corner.
There was an incident in that same apartment when I was trying to nap. I wasn't quite asleep when I felt and saw, despite my closed eyes, a glowing, yellow golden light in the form of a human standing right above me, at the corner of my bed, right above my face and looking down at me. It reached into my forehead, which caused me to jerk open my eyes in terror and sit bolt upright. My adrenaline was going and my heart beat a mile a minute. The thing was simply gone after I jerked away.
The most recent was nearly three years ago. A seemingly silly place to see a ghost, but I saw it. I was in the ladies' room at our local Chuck E. Cheese (a horror unto itself) changing my now five year old's Pull-Up. We were alone, when from my peripheral vision to my left, where the entrance door is, I saw a Latino boy of about 9 jot up behind me and around into the stall to my right, and the door swung close behind him. He was a black transparent shadow, and I could feel a person's presence but it wasn't the feeling that live people have when they are near. It had an emptiness to it. I also saw in my mind's eye a Latina teen open the door and look at me then away, and say impatiently, "What are you doing?" Then after a pause, "Come on!" I was inwardly freaking out but said nothing to my son. But he did, "Mommy. It was a monster!" I explained to him that it wasn't a monster, just a ghost that didn't want to hurt us. A moment later, a Latina teen came in to use the mirror. I started to relax until her friend, also Latina, opened the door, looked at me, then saw her friend at the mirror. Impatiently, "What are you doing?" Her friend answered, "I'm using the mirror." Then the girl at the door said, "Come on!" This was a two in one, a ghost and a premonition. Odd, very odd and the ghost left me unsettled.

Last edited:

ortega76

Practically Family
My very good friend swears to me that the ghost of her grandmother saved her life as a child. When she was 7, she was woken up by her grandmother appearing to her, sitting on the bed. My friend was told to wake up and get her family out of the house. She pulled her little brother and knocked on her parents' room. They didn't believe her so she ran outside on the lawn and started screaming. The neighbors and parents woke up and the police and fire arrived quickly. Long story short, there was a broken smoke detector and a small electrical fire in the basement. It might have spread quickly and quietly, possibly killing one or more people in the house. To this day, she swears that it wasn't a dream.

wsc

New in Town
all these are great! I dont really have a ghost story but i can tell you when i was growing up our family lived in the country, far back off the road with a cornfield in between the house and the road. One day i was walking in the cornfield and came apon a large area that had been trampled down, this was before any one around here had ever heard of crop circles that i know of, so i went to tell my parents someone had been messing around in our yard. Living out in the country we didnt have much trouble but there was the sense of being some what cut off and you didnt want strangers fooling around at night so close to your house. It was written off as some deer "camping out" for the night but I have never heard of animals doing such a thing since. This is honest to god true, all the stalks were tramped down flat not just broken off, really spooky.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
So we still haven't moved into the new house (it is currently gutted to remove the mistakes of the 1960s).

I've had two odd experiences regarding the house since then.

One is that last year I became determined to find the gravestone of the people who built it. The house is between two villages (technically one hamlet and one tiny village). I decided that since the gentleman who built it was originally listed as from Town A and the wife was from Town B, I would check Town A first. (The house is one mile from Town A and three miles from Town B.)

So, on a hunch I went to the cemetery. I walked into the back of the cemetery (at that point, I hadn't been able to find the front as it is off a side road and Google Maps misplaces it). I walked into the cemetery and being a bit out of breath from pushing my daughter's stroller through an abandoned grass field, went about two rows in and made a beeline for the shade. I stopped to catch my breath, looked towards the left, and standing right there was the stone for the people who built my house. Kind of strange, out of probably 200 stones, I found theirs first.

The second thing that was weird was this past weekend. Our daughter had fallen asleep in the car, and since we don't have a good place for her to sleep in the house, I rolled the windows down and parked the car in the shade while we got the tractor out. We recently had the septic replaced at the house, and I decided I would do a little cleaning. (The old metal septic tank collapsed the day after I spent several hours working above it with my daughter on my back in a carrier, thankfully it didn't collapse while we were on top of it because my daughter likely would have drown if I fell in.) As a result, we finally have a toilet.

My husband went into the back yard to get the tractor to do some work in the front yard. I told him that I would go upstairs and clean the toilet but I would check on our daughter first. So I checked on the daughter and went upstairs, leaving the front door open so I could hear her if she woke up. Now, because the interior of the house is open (no plasterboard and no doors up) due to gutting, I could see standing at the toilet down the stairs right onto the porch.

Almost as soon as I got up there I heard footsteps on the outside steps. I got a little miffed because I hadn't heard the tractor and I assumed my husband had run up to check on my daughter, not believing that I had just checked on her. I looked at the porch and the downstairs hall as I heard the footsteps cross the porch, the front threshold, and go down the hallway.

It wasn't freaky, but I really thought that my eyes were playing tricks on me and that my husband was out on the porch at least. I was a bit unsettled when I heard the tractor chugging towards the house at about the same time.

Just weird. I have to admit all of these "interactions" I've had at this house are the same way. Very peaceful, not intrusive, and very commonplace.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Two brothers - and very good friends of mine - once rented a gatekeepers house belonging to a rather large estate in the south of Zealand (South of Copenhagen)

Several times - and always late at night - when they were sitting in the kitchen, their dog got up and looked straight into the wall. Whereupon it look up the wall and towards the ceiling. The dog also growled a bit and - all in all it felt pretty uncomfortable.

At one time they told a neighbor - who had lived in the area all her life - about their dogs behavior, and she could tell them, that their once had been a latter or staircase going up on the attic in the kitchen, but it had been removed after the man who lived their with his family - about 100 years before - had gone up that latter and hung himself at the attic one night. About the same time, where their dog looked up the wall.

I have no reason to doubt this, because I saw it with my own eyes, when I once visited them. Spooky!

Last edited:

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Not so much a ghost story, but...

Bought an old house and renovated it here in Japan, moved in earlier this year. The toilet door keeps locking itself from the inside (a simple latch mechanism), and turning the light on. My wife and I leave leave a coin outside the door now so that we can put it in the corresponding slot on the outside, and turn to unlock, it if it's locked and we're in a 'rush'.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My mother, grandparents, a family friend priest and some others were sitting in the living room. 1980s I think. All of the sudden, they are startled by what sounds like the impact of a car crashing into the living room wall. They all run outside to check, but nothing is there.
A few days later one of them is watching a television program with a family who reported the same thing happen to them!

I wrote a nice long post to this thread this morning while having my coffee and it disappeared.
The internet is haunted.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
My Mom died in November, 1979... and my son was born in December, 1982... Mom loved her grand babies, and SO would have loved this little goober...

Early one Sunday morning, I was awakened by Chris... I'm guessing he was three or so... he told me that there was a woman in his room reading a story to him... that kind of freaked me out... so I got up and walked into his room... everything was were it was supposed to be... no woman reading to him... there was a Babar The Elephant book at the foot of his bed, but I normally read to them at night, so that didn't mean anything... he said she was in the rocking chair reading to him.... and that when he looked at her, she put her finger to her nose as a symbol of 'shhhh... don't say anything'...

I went back to bed... he wanted to get into bed with his Mom and I... a few days later, I am hanging a photo of my Mom that I had framed... my son was rambling through the hall way... saw the photo and stopped...

'Daddy... that's the woman that was reading to me...'

That is SO something my Mom would have done!!! To this day, he still tells that story the same way... I am convinced that Mom came to see her most recent grand child...

~shoes~

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I was a huge skeptic until I had a few experiences. Here are some of the experiences my parents have had and I have had.

1. Just before moving into our new house when I was around 10, we had lost a small gold finch from its bird cage. My dad and I had gone down town and when we came home, my mom was in the living room crying. Being that she is a tough old bird, that was really odd. When we asked her what had happened, she relayed that she had taken a nap. While sleeping she was shook awake to see her father standing in the room, dressed in a red flannel shirt, a 5 o'clock shadow and a a short hair cut. Problem is her dad died when she was 2. Her dad told her to go into my room, move the largest object and the bird would be there. She went into my room, moved my bed and the bird was sitting there. After relaying the story to my grandmother, gram said, he loved that shirt and always had a 5 o'clock shadow.

2. My dad is a retired master electrician with 38 years of experience. Whenever something is happening with the house, their bedroom light will flash on and off until they wake up and find out what it is (basement flooding, door open etc). He has rewired and replaced the fixture and it still happens.

3. Driving home one afternoon, about a mile from the house, I was telling my mom that I wanted to try to get copies of her dad's WWII medals. She was emphatically saying no as she was told that after the war, he tossed everything and never spoke of it other than saying "there is no glory in killing a man." When I started to argue, lighting hit a tree in front of us which fell partway into the road (country dirt road in the middle of nowhere). Now to be fair there was a storm brewing so we laughed it off and joked that he was telling us from the great beyond to drop it. So I did and the topic was never brought up again. A number of years later, my grandmother was on her death bed. She had been calling me by my uncles first name for weeks and making delusional statements. My parents, my aunt and uncle and myself were sitting there quietly talking. My grandmother sat up in her bed, looked at me and said "Chris, your grandfather says if you want to get his medals it is ok". She laid down and drifted off to sleep. My mom's face got white and I looked at her and she said, I never told her about that conversation!

4. My youngest son whom was 16 months old at the time, was jumping on his brother's bed near a window. His brother bounced into him and launched him through the window head first, 11 feet 8" onto a concrete pad below the house. I heard the screaming, ran upstairs, looked out the window and saw him laying there. I bolted out expecting to find him dead to see him with only minor cuts on his face. After an ambulance ride to two hospitals, full MRI and CT scans it was decided other than some scratches he had no injuries. On the way home we asked him what happend. He told us about his brother knocking him out the window and that a lady stopped him before he hit the ground. When we got home I went outside and looked and you could see a bit more than 1/2 way down the wall where he had "skidded" or rubbed along the wall almost all the way to the ground. To this day (he is 16) he claims a lady stopped him from hitting the ground. Other than his sisters who were in the room with him, there were no ladies in the house at the time.

And last but not least, true or not, here is a story out of Indiana about a demonic possession that freaked the hell out of me. Story has extensive interviews with very reputable witnesses, along with court documents etc.
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2014/01/25/the-disposession-of-latoya-ammons/4892553/

That is awesome, shoes.
My oldest son was about 18 months old when my dad died, and I remember one afternoon a few months later, the phone rang and he was standing right by it and picked it up. He stood there a minute and listened then said bye and hung up before my wife or I could get it from him. When his mom asked him who it was, he told her "It was Granddaddy, he said everything is o.k."

Earlier I tried to post about when I was working on renovations to the county morgue here. A lot of demolition work had to be done at night, as it was located in a busy hospital, and one night several other workers and I were in the main autopsy room. We all saw someone walk past the doorway of the adjacent evidence room, of which the only way in and out of was through the room we were standing in. Since none of us had seen anyone go in there we went to see who it was. As you can probably guess, no one was in there. There were five of us, though, who without a doubt saw someone in there.

I took this pic at a Halloween party last year and captured this anomaly.

62444e6f-a39b-48f9-a96f-c955c3bb1121_zpsddfa0246.jpg

Last edited:

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I don't go looking for ghosts, but if a ghost is around an area it usually finds me for some reason. My first story was when my wife and I were still dating. My wife's sister collected Civil War collectibles and evidently one bayonet she had was haunted by a soldier who had been killed by that bayonet. I was visiting my wife and her family and I was to sleep in my future sister in law's room. I settled down for the night and was just dozing off and the end of my bed suddenly depressed as if someone weighing about 150 pounds decided to sit on the end of the bed. I turned on the light, and nobody was sitting there, but I could see the outline of a person's behind showing on the blankets. I began hugging my pillow tightly and tried to doze off. What ever it was that had caused the bed to depress decided to get up (and leave, I hoped). I finally turned out the light but I had a death grip on my pillow, hugging it tightly to my head, when suddenly the pillow was ripped from my arms and it went flying across the room. I got up and slept in the bathroom that night. My sister in law took the bayonet to a medium and was told that it was a young confederate soldier that was attached to the bayonet. My in laws lived in New Jersey and I am from West Virginia, so I was the closest thing to a southerner that had ever been in their house and it seemed that this ghost either liked having another young man in the house or liked my accent, but he wanted to play games with me. My in laws have stories about their ghost protecting the house against break ins and he even answered the telephone once, speaking to my wife's grandmother to assure her that everything was right with the family.

Another story has to do with my work place. I used to work in a place that was located on a huge old plantation that had been built in the 1750s in the Shenandoah Valley. Many of the employees had told of encounters with ghosts. Well, the company I worked for decided to turn the old stables into office space and to set up networked computers for visiting guests. I had to set up the network and had to work very late one night in the stables to finish up the network for a group who needed to use the space the next day. I was in the lower end of the stable where the horses would have been kept when I looked up and saw a man dressed in clothing that would have been worn by a farmer from the very early 1800s standing in the upper area of the stables and he was just leaning on a partition watching me work. He stayed there for the hour or so it took me to finish up my work and since I had to walk past where he was standing to leave, I said, "I am finished and I want to leave now." At that the form of the farmer disappeared and I never saw him again. I had quite a few other experiences at that plantation, but nothing quite as visual as that farmer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails