Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Richard, May 16, 2005.

1. Doctor Jones

Doctor Jones Familiar Face

How did I not see this thread?

Me and my sun helmet

[​IMG]

steur, Blackthorn, Godfrey and 3 others like this.
  2. erik7181

erik7181 New in Town

I spend a lot of time out in the sun and the heat, I am seriously considering an Indian pith helmet from the Village hat shop.
    Anyone own one? How do you like it.
    Im looking for something in the Golden age safari look

Attached Files:

johnnycanuck and Blackthorn like this.
  3. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I had one just like that....gave it away as I found it too hot. Went back to my tried and true Panama.

5. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi, definitely read the recommended thread. Now for a second 2 cents. I bought one a few years back and gave to Hatman Jack in Wichita KS to get rid of. I didn't even ask for money. I felt like and kind of looked like a toadstool.

Later

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It wasn't the hat ...it looked okay.....it was the bloody khaki Bermuda shorts I had to wear with it that looked ridiculous.

Boomerang, Peacoat and deadlyhandsome like this.
  7. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

I have one and I like it. When I am doing yard work and am in the sun I get overheated easily. If I know I am going to be sweating I always go for my pith helmet. At the least I am saving my other hats. The new ones come with the cloth sweat band which I prefer over the leather (more comfortable). Keep in mind the regular size only goes up to a 7 3/8. So if you have a larger head get the “big head” version. https://www.villagehatshop.com/product/all/451139-6097/indian-pith-helmet-big-head-version.html
    Let us know what you go with. Wear it in good health.
    Johnny

8. johnnycanuck

An interesting video on the American sun helmet. I know a the plastic ones have been bad talked here a few times but I really like the history of this one now. I have a buddy that owned one and wears it in summer. From a distance you really can’t tell. I kind of like the idea of the durability of it. I don’t baby the ones I have but the thought is always in the back of my mind it could be crushed with just one step.
    Enjoy.

Johnny.

Bamaboots and steur like this.
  9. fireman

fireman Familiar Face

My yard has been flooding for the last couple of years due to broken drain tile from the farm fields around me. I've been digging drainage ditches/french drains to fix it while we are on lock down...not much else to do during the beer flu. Yesterday I wore an old Fedora but I think it will be sunny enough to for my British foreign service helmet. Probably need to make up some G&Ts if it is hot enough.

johnnycanuck and Bamaboots like this.
  10. redlinerobert

redlinerobert One of the Regulars

Who makes high quality pith helmets? I find cheap costumey types all the time but can't seem to find a nice one.

11. johnnycanuck

Define “nice” I have been using the ones from The Village Hat Shop for years now and don’t have an issue with them. They only place I know that has nicer ones is this place
    https://www.tagsafari.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Pith
    and the only reason I say that is they come in standard sizing. Then there is this place.
    https://www.ascot-tophats.co.uk/
    But I have never ordered from any of them but The Village Hat Shop.
    Hope that helps some
    Johnny

redlinerobert likes this.