Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

Doctor Jones

Familiar Face
In any case, my badged helmet and decorated tunic are based on this fellow's

HsEEctV.jpg

fisKln3.jpg

fireman

One of the Regulars
Nice! i have not watched that movie in many years. We should probably watch it with the kids/grandkids.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
English is spoken everywhere. Zulu or Xhosa are both in use, but not necessary for most travel. I speak English and Swahili and have never had a communication issue.

I am thinking of my next linguistic challenge! During the lockdown I have been working through a Teach Yourself Malay course.
In my part of London we have a large and growing West African population and so I often hear Yoruba and Akan. There are also a few Lingala speakers from both Congo republics.
This reminds me of something: the photo of your study made me think of the Royal Museum of Central Africa at Tervuren, just outside Brussels city limits. I haven’t been there since it was refurbished; it was still very much a ‘colonial museum’ on my visit several years ago.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yard work and working on my truck. Gave the French a rest and broke out my Indian with the missing sweat band. Replaced it with weather stripping pieces. Should make a new sweat band, a project for another day.
B8C691EE-45C6-45A1-BD65-90BA1DB5A5C5.jpeg

AE215A52-05AC-4C35-B8B5-9FD13B003DA2.jpeg

late season this year. Sunflowers are usually taller by now.
Johnny

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I'm looking to get my first pith helmet. For activity such as lawn mowing and bicycling in hot weather. Are there any currently produced that are made with traditional techniques/materials? I prefer a full brim, such as Indian or Vietnam styles, not the front/back-only British brim. I've seen some in web searches that have holes on the front. Are those a particular historical style or, just a modern convention? Seems the holes in front would only help, for my purposes.

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

I'm looking to get my first pith helmet. For activity such as lawn mowing and bicycling in hot weather. Are there any currently produced that are made with traditional techniques/materials? I prefer a full brim, such as Indian or Vietnam styles, not the front/back-only British brim. I've seen some in web searches that have holes on the front. Are those a particular historical style or, just a modern convention? Seems the holes in front would only help, for my purposes.
https://www.villagehatshop.com/category/84/1/pith-helmets.html
this is where I got most of mine. For lawn mowing I use the French style as it has the widest brim. The Indian isn’t bad as it sits lower in the head. The Wolseley has a good wide brim as well and comes in two sizes as well. If you have a head size larger than 7 3/8 you need to go for the big head version. Hope this helps.
Johnny

Nyah

One of the Regulars
https://www.villagehatshop.com/category/84/1/pith-helmets.html
this is where I got most of mine. For lawn mowing I use the French style as it has the widest brim. The Indian isn’t bad as it sits lower in the head. The Wolseley has a good wide brim as well and comes in two sizes as well. If you have a head size larger than 7 3/8 you need to go for the big head version. Hope this helps.
Johnny
That's very helpful, thank you! I see the Indian style in your photo posted previously. Looks like it provides even more helpful shade than just the brim width, probably due to some space between the sweatband/harness and where the brim actually starts (thus providing more shade than just the stated 2 1/4" width on the sides). Can you confirm though, if you have the standard Indian or, is yours actually the larger version? My hat size is between 7 1/8 and 7 1/4 so, I'm hoping that I will have some of this additional shade with the standard version.

johnnycanuck

That's very helpful, thank you! I see the Indian style in your photo posted previously. Looks like it provides even more helpful shade than just the brim width, probably due to some space between the sweatband/harness and where the brim actually starts (thus providing more shade than just the stated 2 1/4" width on the sides). Can you confirm though, if you have the standard Indian or, is yours actually the larger version? My hat size is between 7 1/8 and 7 1/4 so, I'm hoping that I will have some of this additional shade with the standard version.
If you go back to post 783 and thumb thru the picture/posts you can see some pictures from inside the hats. Short answer is yes there is a gap between the sweatband and the brim so it is a little larger then advertised. I wear a 7 1/2 hat so all mine are big head version but you should be fine with the regular size. As I say, look they the photos. French and Worseley have wider brims so slightly better protection. I get overheated so I find them good for hot sunny days. And when the breeze picks up and it goes over your sweaty head it feels fantastic.
Hope that helps. Any more questions please feel free to ask.
Johnny

johnnycanuck

Given my under brim a fresh coat of green. Still need to seal it. Debating giving the Inner crown a coat of red. The tinfoil was a quick thought to keep the sweat from soaking thru the hat.
E721E9DB-D399-4150-9909-FE795A0120FB.jpeg

9CA7848D-33EE-4924-8CA5-B52ED2A856DF.jpeg

Johnny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk