Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Has anybody tried both sloe gin and patxaran? I have never seen sloe gin for sale anywhere...

Anyway, both are made by steeping sloe berries in liquor, so I guess they will be at least vaguely similar. Even though the strong aniseed flavour of the anís used for patxaran must get in the way, I enjoy the sloe berry flavour, and it is probably more undisturbed in the sloe gin, am I correct?

Patxaran is also somewhat sweet (which also depends on the kind of anís used), but I read in Wikipedia that "Sugar is required to ensure that the sloe juices are extracted from the fruit", so perhaps there is not such a great difference in sweetness?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Medvssa said:
I have never seen sloe gin for sale anywhere...
All I know is the readily available Plymouth. [huh]
2451302718_334d9a31f6_m.jpg

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Medvssa said:
Has anybody tried both sloe gin and patxaran? I have never seen sloe gin for sale anywhere...

Ofthe variety of Sloe Gin that I have had, the sweetness does vary.

Gordons,
187653565_9ece67dbb9.jpg

Is one of the sweetest whereas I think Plymouth has a slightly jammier flavour.
If anyone is familiar with Juniper Green Organic Gin, I notice that they too have released a sloe gin.

In the UK, there are number of "farm brands" that make their won Sloe Gin. The production is much much smaller and is often limited to only being available in the producer's local area. Lime Bay Winery is a good example. I could heartily recommend trying some of the smaller producers.

Alternatively you could make your own, which I have done on occasions.

And finally one, of many, serving suggestion would be to mix it with Bitter Lemon.

sloesmaller.jpg

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
All I know is the readily available Plymouth. [huh]
Not readily available where I live I am afraid :( You can only find Gordon's and Bombay S., and of course a variety of genevers [huh] gin is not a popular liquor nowadays.
It is probably available in Brussels, but I don't know my way around the city [huh]

As for making your own, I don't think we were talking here about distilling it, but about steeping the berries in ready made gin :p
I was considering making some patxaran myself too, I don't see why not trying with sloe gin aswell. Apart from the fact that I haven't seen sloe berries around here either lol I'll have to ask my friend from Pamplona to send me some :D

cupcake

Familiar Face
Ethan Bentley said:
Cupcake, welcome to the Lounge.
Sounds like Hendrick's to me.

Although not cucumber-infused Martin Miller's Gin has a strong cucumber flavour and is rather lovely.

Thank you, it's great to be here!

Yes yes! That looks like it. Now to find a bottle shop around here that sells it...

I must say I get some strange looks amongst my younger friends when I'll order a g&t instead of the usual vodka and coke, vodka and bitter lemon, vodka and redbull. I blame my mother for my love of the stuff!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Binks, indeed yes I was drinking a 2007 Vintage bottle of Sloe Gin from Château Bentley. Alas I've not got the bathtub still up and running yet; Mrs. B says she doesn't fancy bathing in on of my "concoctions". :D

Medvssa said:
As for making your own, I don't think we were talking here about distilling it, but about steeping the berries in ready made gin :p
:D

Quite right, I use a bottle of gin, freshly picked sloes (mine came from Wales), wash them, prick them with a cocktail stick so the juice can get out more easily and then add some sugar, to a large extent the amount of sugar is to taste.

Cupcake, I'm glad to be of help. I think I got strange looks twice for ordering a Gin & Tonic, no-one can seem to be bothered now. lol

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Absinthe_1900 said:

Oh, buying patxaran is not a problem, it is for sale in every Spanish supermarket and I go there at least twice a year (how many bottles I can put in a suitcase without making a mess is another question though lol ). I just think it would be fun to make it [huh]

I see they have Gordon's sloe gin (and that one only) in the shop you linked to, and I could get it in the brick-and-mortar shop in my next trip, which is soonish. (Shipping to Belgium gets quite expensive). But again there is a limited amount of bottles I'll be able to bring back :eek:

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I usually have things shipped so I do not have to worry about carrying too many bottles.
S.C. is one of the more reliable shippers, and they always replace missing orders, going back to the days when I first ordered absinthe from them many years ago. plus we do not have the dreaded VAT tax

On Sloe Gin, I'd try this one over Gordon's:
http://www.the-bitter-truth.com/webshop/engl/spirits/sloeberry-bluegin.html

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Hmh, I wanted to order the crème de violette from these guys, I should consider this one then.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Sloe Gin is great stuff--in England they often give out shots of it to guns on a shoot, although Whisky Mac (Ginger Wine and Scotch) and "Chisky" (cherry bran
dy and Scotch) are also traditionally flasked for those sorts of occasions. I think that you can make good cocktails from it, like Sloe Gin Fizz, although I haven't tried that. WIll the sun EVER get over that yard arm? This is making me thirsty....

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
You might want to try Cooper's Creme Yvette when it hits the shelves soon.

http://www3.timeoutny.com/newyork/t...lcome-creme-yvette-st-germains-purple-cousin/

Ah yes another of the ingredients that Dr. Cocktail laments the disappearence of in Vintage Cocktail and Spirits.

If I understand correctly it's similar to Violet but with some vanilla and spice (this is an exaggerated simplification I think).

We can get St. Germain over here, in fact it's in the supermarkets, so hopefully it'll be here too. If not I'm sure Gerry's will have a source :).

EDIT:
Do you know how it's used in an Aviation?

One of these Local UK Places selling Sloe Gin.
http://www.bramleyandgage.co.uk/acatalog/sloegin.html

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alex Oviatt said:
Sloe Gin is great stuff--in England they often give out shots of it to guns on a shoot, although Whisky Mac (Ginger Wine and Scotch) and "Chisky" (cherry bran
dy and Scotch) are also traditionally flasked for those sorts of occasions. I think that you can make good cocktails from it, like Sloe Gin Fizz, although I haven't tried that. WIll the sun EVER get over that yard arm? This is making me thirsty....

Nothing says you have to remain upright when comparing the angle of the sun to the yardarm... :D

Warden

One Too Many
I was in London this friday and as I went back to the train (railroad) station home there was a gin promption and they where giving away free limes.

Wow not seen a lime since 1939!

Harry

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Oxley Gin 47%

So a little umming and aahing, I took the plunge I purchased a bottle of Oxley English Dry Gin, once Mrs. B had been convinced.

Why was I so interested to try this Gin?
1) The bottle is pretty impressive
2) The real reason rather than being distilled by heat this Gin is cold-distilled using pressure instead of heat to cause the vaporization.

OxleyLounge.jpg

And I must say it was a rather lovely tipple. A real treat. There have been a few good Gins come out in the last year; Beefeater 24 and New Amsterdam are but two but this tops both.

Creates a beautiful Gin & Tonic too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy