Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
scotrace said:
I had some of the New Amsterdam recently. It was a surprise. Very smooth and pleasant.

I'm inclined to agree, a very pleasant drink. A smooth martini. I've heard some complain that it is too smooth and almost vodka-like. Regardless of such hairsplitting it goes very well with tonic, is delightful with vermouth and a fine tipple on it's own.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I just couldn't find anything special about New Amsterdam. Not saying I disliked it ... but not sure I would ever go out of the way to make a purchase. Sort of like Seagrams ... not great, but it'll do in a pinch.

Just tried Pinnacle. It was okay. Along the same lines of NA.

One that was recommended by a friend: Bluecoat. Haven't found it locally and never really heard anything about it. Has anyone here tried it?

univibe88

One Too Many
I have been craving a martini something fierce! I got home from work and mixed up a fantastic Beefeater martini - my old standby. Spicy and assertive...yum!

Rock31

Familiar Face
Had a Hendricks martini tonight, it was wonderful. I don't know what I am going to spend more on, hats or alcohol because of this board :D

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Orange Blossom Special

Hi

I found this recipe in a W. E. B Griffin Marine Corps Novel. FDR made some for his visitors.

Shot of Gin over ice
Dash of Angostura bitters
Fill class to roughly 1 inch of the top of the glass with Orange Juice
Top off with Tonic Water

It's effectively a sour Orange drink, very refreshing, and it's easy to drink too much of it.

Later

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
rumblefish said:
I've been eyeballing that gin.
Interesting description- briny, foggy sea air. I've always had an impression of something I couldn't identify about Genever, that is it. Sounds good. How about with lime somehow?

Squeeze a little lime in it and you're good to go. And with Fever Tree tonic you can't go wrong. No flavor stomping with that combination.

Cheers!

Dan

Puzzicato

One Too Many
1961MJS said:
Hi

I found this recipe in a W. E. B Griffin Marine Corps Novel. FDR made some for his visitors.

Shot of Gin over ice
Dash of Orange Bitters
Fill class to roughly 1 inch of the top of the glass with Orange Juice
Top off with Tonic Water

It's effectively a sour Orange drink, very refreshing, and it's easy to drink too much of it.

Later

That sounds delicious. I'll have to track down orange bitters!

1961MJS

Missy Hellfire said:
As I mentioned in the sloe gin thread, I don't like Gordons gin and prefer either Bombay Sapphire or Plymouth for cocktails or with Dubonnet. My very favourite gin for a good old fashioned G&T is Hendricks which to me has a very fresh flavour and is best served with a slice of cucumber as opposed to lemon or lime and Fentiman's tonic water, which is quite the nicest tonic I have ever had.

Hi

Just drank the Hendrick's G&T with the cucumber, and it's very good. I DO like limes though. I'll have to try both lime and cucumber sometime. I cut the cucumber in spears, drank the gin, now I'm eating the cucumbers. I guess it's a drunk's salad.

The liquor store doesn't sell good tonic water, all I could get was Canada Dry.

Later

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Mrs. B and I have been enjoying some Gordon's Gin and Tonics this afternoon (one of each of the five varieties of Gordon's we have).

Impressed with the ginger flavours in the Distiller's Cut, quite nice indeed.

LocktownDog said:
One that was recommended by a friend: Bluecoat. Haven't found it locally and never really heard anything about it. Has anyone here tried it?

Bluecoat is a bit different very heavy on the citrus but worth a try iof you can find a bottle sub of $30.00.

1961MJS

Hi

This place:
http://www.highplainsinc.com/
makes gin now. It's cheap here in Kansas $12.99 a 750 ml bottle I think. I have Hendricks, so I'm not getting anymore gin yet. I promise to try some when I get the other bottle empty.

It may be a while, I just picked up some Old Overholt Rye since I almost killed off the Sazerac earlier in the week.

Later

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Gordon's

I put a liter of Gordon's in the freezer starting around the same time of year I switch from felt to straw hats. Drink about 2 liters over the summer. I like it unmixed, undiluted and crisp in a little sweating glass.

If I do mix it, I like 1:3 gin to grapefruit juice with maybe a splash of grenadine to make it embarrassed. (Used to be called a Pink Pussy Cat, I believe--not the toughest sounding cocktail, but hey, I'm secure...)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hello gin folks.

On Friday (my birthday), I had my first Martini and rather liked it, and realized that I have a taste for gin. I don't have enough experience to know about different brands and such, and don't drink, or plan on drinking enough any time soon to particularly learn.
However, I am curious about cocktails and such.

What are good things that compliment the flavor of gin?

I like tonic, and I like gin, but somehow at least the one time I had one, I didn't like the combination. The tonic struck me as sweet, which doesn't bother me, except that I don't like the combination of sweet and alcoholic.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
i come from a Bombay Sapphire background, but have been converted to Hendrick's for G&T's, or straight/rocks. a soothing/distinctive flavor.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I spent last evening drinking Beefeater neat with newcastle backers. The two compliment each other very nicely. Of course, my head has been pounding all day today. Ugh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925