Gin Lovers Unite!

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by SWTroopers, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Danny Ocean

Danny Ocean A-List Customer

Shazza,

Just bought some Berry Bros. No. 3 gin. www.no3gin.com/thegin
    If you can get it over in NZ, I'd definitely recommend it......and, at 46% ABV, it hits the spot!

Danny O

2. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

Seagram's Gin is pretty cheap, but fortunately Cheap Gins (and Cheap Bourbons) are pretty good. I assume the same thing with Cheap Vodka cause it's just alcohol and water. Cheap Scotch is horrible in my opinion. I tend to buy the good stuff for the first Gin and Tonic, and use the cheap stuff for the next 3.

Later

3. shazzabanazza

shazzabanazza Practically Family

Thanks Danny, I shall find out if we have that one here in NZ :) Im about to have me a G&T right now, been looking forward t one all day! :D

4. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

5. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

I was rather vociferous in my promotion of Old Raj on the early pages of this thread and it still stands. My favourite gin by an incredibly long chalk.

6. Danny Ocean

Ms. Banazza - Due to your geographical location, you have the distinct advantage of reaching the "sundowner" hour, ahead of most of us! :( But then I suppose it is always, "5 o'clock somewhere", cheers! ;) :D

7. Danny Ocean

I've never heard of London No. 1 Blue Gin either, Puzzicato, but I'd certainly give it a try, and at 47% ABV, too!

8. Danny Ocean

Thanks Smithy, I wasn't aware of this gin either........and at 55% ABV!

After some "googling", I stumbled across this site, which others may find interesting: www.theginblog.co.uk/home/2011/01/cadenheads-old-raj/

Cheers,

Danny O

9. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

Interesting blog - I think the blogger was at the Juniper Society t'other week.

10. shazzabanazza

shazzabanazza Practically Family

Indeed I do :D :lol:

11. Smithy

Smithy I'll Lock Up

Buy a bottle Danny, you will not be disappointed. It is magnificent gin, lovely and dry as a desert and with a beautifully intricate flavour. The alcohol volume does not overwhelm the flavour in the slightest.

I was a Tanqueray fan previously (still enjoy a drop) but ever since discovering Old Raj in Norway in 2007 cannot go past it when I see it.

12. Ethan Bentley

Ethan Bentley One Too Many

I'm quite a fan of Old Raj too, although after a little taste test I actually prefer the Red to the stronger Blue (55%)

[​IMG]

I've also been enjoying Adler Berlin Gin

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  13. Danny Ocean

Tonight, some Hendricks, with tonic, ice, and cucumber slice. Very nice, quite floral, and very different from my usual choice of Tanqueray or Berry's No. 3.

Danny O

14. rumblefish

rumblefish One Too Many

I just finished off a bottle of DH Krahn Gin. Very light juniper and a touch of citrus, almost sweet. Made for fantastic martinis, Dolin vermouth completed this concoction perfectly.:eusa_clap

15. Effingham

Effingham A-List Customer

Hendrick's, all the way. MMmm.

I feel the need for a gin-and-tonic coming on.

16. Puzzicato

Puzzicato One Too Many

Last night's Juniper Society selection was Whitley Neill. Interesting additions of baobab fruit and cape gooseberry, but I couldn't really pick any particular difference in the flavour.

But I did get to meet Ethan Bentley, so the evening was a success!

17. Ethan Bentley

Absolute pleasure to meet you and your friend, it was an unusual night but I enjoyed it.
    I got to try Tradewinds Gin (from Australia) surprisingly smooth for 50%ABV.
    I also had some Gin made in North Carolina but bottled under a South African label that was pretty good. One of them was a gin that then had juniper berries macerated in it.

18. Danny Ocean

As a change from my usual choice of Tanqueray or Berry's No. 3, this weekend's choice, was Plymouth Gin. It was "standard strength", at just over 41%, and very nice, dry, with a strong juniper flavour. I'll have to keep an eye out for the "Navy strength", at 57%! :D

I also picked up a bottle of Foxdenton Damson Gin, which was very pleasant with the cheese and crackers....

Cheers,

Danny O

19. Ethan Bentley

20. Hawkcigar

Hawkcigar One of the Regulars

I am by no means a connoisseur of the various brands of gin. When drinking a martini I prefer Bombay Sapphire and I actually like the vermouth added. I say that because no matter where I go, I always hear people talking about "open the vermouth in the same room", etc, etc, etc. For a gin and tonic, I like Tanqueray Rangpur with a twist of lemon and a twist of lime.