Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin Lovers Unite!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey Gang!

One of my favorite gins I discovered in the Oregon area is Union Gin, made by Dogwood Distilling. I have been enjoying this gin for a while now. It is a wonderful traditional dry London gin. Not over powering in the least and a good one for folks testing the waters. What made it even better for me was finding out that the master distiller was an old friend of mine Matt Hottenroth. I went to school with him, and he and I had started a silkscreening business together back in the early 90's. Fast forward to about 5 months ago and I get a message on Linkedin from him. Imagine my surprise when I found out that he was behind Dogwood Distilling. It was good catching up with him again, having a few laughs and knowing he is producing some great gin (and a vodka as well).
His next venture will be a small batch whiskey, but that will be some time down the road. Also in line here in the near future will be an absinthe. Unfortunatelly I had been to busy with our plans to move to San Diego, or I would be designing the label for him. Maybe I'll get to do one for the whiskey? But, I'm sure I'll be one of the first to try out the absinthe.

So, if you are ever in the Portland area, they serve Union Gin in many reputable restaurants/bars, and you can easily find it in liquor stores. He just doesn't have national distribution as of yet, but you might be able to buy off his site. And I will be working on getting his gin known when we get moved down to San Diego. Cannot be without it now.

Here is a link to Dogwood Distilling.
http://dogwooddistilling.com/

643800.jpg

What: A traditional London-style dry gin comprising 11 botanicals in a 100-percent American grain, made in Forest Grove, Ore. by Dogwood Distilling LLC

• The gin is the second spirit from Dogwood Distilling; it was introduced in October 2012 to complement D.L. Franklin Vodka.

• The gin begins in efficient column stills, emerging a mid-proof, light-bodied spirit with minimal congeners (flavor compounds). Some of the 11 botanicals — juniper, coriander, grains of paradise, cinnamon, angelica root, lemon peel, liquorice root, cubeb berries, bitter almonds orris root and sweet orange peel — are steeped in the base spirit. Others are extracted via alcohol vapor during the final distillation. The result is a gin that’s both clean and complex.

• “There are a lot of artisan spirits out there that are fabulous, but they’re raspberry-heavy or cucumber heavy which are great for particular drinks,” Distiller Matt Hottenroth said. “But I wanted the alcohol that sat behind my grandpa’s bar, that could make a martini, a gin and tonic, or a gin rickey perfectly. It’s a same-every-batch kind of product; you know exactly what you’re getting, and what you’re getting is good, solid gin.”

• Union Gin, like all of Dogwood’s products, take advantage of Forest Grove, Ore.’s exceptional water. Fed from the Gales Creek watershed, located in the Northern Oregon Coast Range, the slight sweetness of the water lends a smoothness to the finished product.

Check it out and happy imbibing.

Cheers!

Dan

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
My house gin is Broker's, a really good dry gin that won't break the bank. A G&T made with Brokers and Jack Rudy tonic is wonderful. Plus is has a hat!

WakeUpBix

New in Town
My all time favourite Gin is Dillon's, made in small batches in Niagara Ontario Canada. Although I go threw lots of gin, its always mixed. Dillons is the only one I drink straight. Their Rose Gin is simply divine, if'n and a when you can get it!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I've often heard the best Gin is that which you simply can't recall drinking it, nor anything else you did! LOL!

PrivateEye

One of the Regulars
It figures my first post here would be about gin.

G&T is my go-to summer drink. With a good fresh lime, there's nothing more refreshing on a hot day.

Martini for the rest of the year, or for drinks after work.

I guess I have simple tastes...Beefeater or Tanqueray. When I can find it, Boodles (NH State Liquor Store usually has it).

For tonic water, Schweppes or Canada Dry. Never even tried anything else.

Last edited:

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I've tried all sorts of gins (e.g., Hendricks, Beefeater, Tanqueray, etc...) but I always come back to Plymouth Gin. However, they've rebranded to be a premium gin and I now pay 50% more for the exact same gin.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112