Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gin vs Vodka (Martini)

Gin versus Vodka (Martini)?

• Gin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vodka

• Either

• Neither

• Total voters

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, I'm the one neither vote. My wife likes the fruity Martini things, but I've tried several real Martini's at good bars and don't like them. I like Gin, but in G&T. I don't drink any Vodka drinks, and I'm pretty sure I hate Vermouth. I guess I should try it on it's own to be sure.

I know Blasphemer!!!

Fletch said:
You'd need an awfully big glass.

Nah:
Frozen%20T-bone%20steak%20in%20a%20glass%20dish-373353.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Was it expensive vermouth? ;) :p
Nah. The only reason I even use vermouth is so I can say I'm drinking a Martini, instead of a glass of cold gin.:D
Which still sounds pretty good.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
1961MJS said:
Hi, I'm the one neither vote. My wife likes the fruity Martini things, but I've tried several real Martini's at good bars and don't like them. I like Gin, but in G&T. I don't drink any Vodka drinks, and I'm pretty sure I hate Vermouth. I guess I should try it on it's own to be sure.

I know Blasphemer!!!

My girlfriend is a big gin lover, but she's not much for martinis. She also loves Gin and Tonics, but her heart is usually set on a "The Business", which is gin, tonic, honey and lime.

As for myself - if I'm drinking gin, it's probably in a martini.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Gin has a taste, which is augmented by the vermouth, bitters, and so on. Vodka doesn't, so vermouth, etc., provide the flavors in a vodka-based drink.

For me a martini is gin and vermouth. Western-style democracy allows for cocktail latitude resulting in dirty martinis and whatnot.

Dr Doran

Wally_Hood said:
For me a martini is gin and vermouth. Western-style democracy allows for cocktail latitude resulting in dirty martinis and whatnot.

I disapprove of the license/latitude in our society as well. Results in too many bad options that offend my aesthetics, morals, etc.

DerMann

Practically Family
Gin is far superior to vodka in almost every sense, especially for martinis.

Vodka doesn't have any flavor or character. As vodka gets more expensive the only thing that changes is that there is less flavor and its smoother. On the other hand, as gin gets more expensive the flavor gets more complex and of course its smoother.

A bottle of good vodka like Smirnoff or Stolitchnya can hardly compare to a bottle of a decent gin like Gilbey's or Beefeater.

For the perfect martini, I construct mine in the manner Sir Winston Churchill preferred:

Pour a cocktail glass full of gin and then "I would like to observe the vermouth from across the room while I drink my martini."

Dry as possible.

Sometimes I'll add a splash of vermouth, but wholeheartedly prefer straight gin.

No olive. It displaces too much gin.

Dr Doran

DerMann said:
Sometimes I'll add a splash of vermouth, but wholeheartedly prefer straight gin.

No olive. It displaces too much gin.

I can't do it. I can't hang with straight gin.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Line em up Tim..

Just what I need my good fellow at 9am in the morning here ;)

Doran said:
Always gin. Stirred. Three large olives. A GOOD amount of vermouth, none of that "just hold the martini glass NEAR the vermouth bottle" attitude for me.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I like both, my preference is Gin.
I usually go for a 6:1 ratio using Noilly Prat as a preference.

I'm intrigued to try Martini stones though.

Of course there is only one way to drink you Martini; as you like it.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
I hit a bar on Cinco De Mayo (completely coincidentally) and had what the bartender called: a Tequitini (sp?). Far better than I had thought it would be. 3 parts silver tequila, 1 part sweet vermouth, shaken and poured into a martini glass with a couple of pickled chili peppers.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. -(some attribute this to Voltaire)

To Fedora-ize this, I may not agree with your version of the martini, but I will defend to the limits of my comfort zone your right to mix it.

If I order a martini, I want a martini. If I wanted anything else, I would order it.

Dr Doran

All this talk has made me crave a martini. It's 2:51 PM. I must drive at about 5 PM to pick up my daughter.

Is it safe to have one (1) martini right now?

I would have 2 hours to absorb it.

Please advise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21